War against blue green algae

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°
FA185A32-FA00-448B-8950-02EDEA3D82BB.jpeg
D60FE4C1-B4FB-4D9A-9DD5-998438D71F75.jpeg

Updates: so itā€™s been about a month, and the blue algea hasnā€™t come back since I treated it!

I dosed all my tanks that were showing signs and not a single one has an outbreak anymore~

Only one fish has died since: my albino pleco. But Iā€™m not sure why, she suddenly stopped eating and I tried putting a variety of chopped veggies in and nothing. She just slowly got paler and paler over the course of a couple weeks. Iā€™m really not sure what happened though. All of my other bottom dwellers/shrimp are okay so even though itā€™s not impossible, I think itā€™s unlikely that she managed to eat an undissolved particle.

I don't have a sure cure but can tell you- the bright light and fine sand substrate is a good home for BGA. You would be better with gravel IF it returns....

I don't know where the sand issue for cyanobacteria came from, it pops up here and there, but there is no evidence it causes cyano. I had soft play sand in my 8 tanks for a decade and the only tank that ever had cyano had it near the surface on plant leaves.

My 5 gallon betta tank is starting to get blue green algaeā€¦. I still have chemiclean which worked wonders for the 55, but the betta in the tank is getting on in age and Iā€™m not sure he could handle it. Honestly didnā€™t expect him to live this long.

I donā€™t have another tank he could go inā€¦ well. I technically doā€¦. But I kinda havenā€™t touched the tank in awhile since nothing is in it and itā€™s kinda gross.

Other than that I have a guppy only 29 gallon he *might* be okay in. But I also donā€™t wanna risk it. The betta has always been extremely lazy, so I donā€™t know how he would handle it?

What do you guys think?

My 5 gallon betta tank is starting to get blue green algaeā€¦. I still have chemiclean which worked wonders for the 55, but the betta in the tank is getting on in age and Iā€™m not sure he could handle it. Honestly didnā€™t expect him to live this long.

I donā€™t have another tank he could go inā€¦ well. I technically doā€¦. But I kinda havenā€™t touched the tank in awhile since nothing is in it and itā€™s kinda gross.

Other than that I have a guppy only 29 gallon he *might* be okay in. But I also donā€™t wanna risk it. The betta has always been extremely lazy, so I donā€™t know how he would handle it?

What do you guys think?
I would recommend trying to sort it our without chemicals. Regular partial water changes, skip the fertilizer and lower the light. See what happens.

AsI explained earlier in this year-old thread, you must deal with the cause of the cyanobacter, not cover it up with blackouts and chemicals. Reduce the organics, and possibly the light (intensity or duration or both, depending). The cyano is being fed, so stop the food.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back