Wanting to convert to planted tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

bshockstubb

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Well, my guppy tank has suddenly lost its intrest as i have given up on this blood line and have moved onto another. Although, i want to spice up this tank. The tank is currently a US 10 GL and has around 30 +- guppies and 1 clown plec in it. It currently has large multicolor gravel :X (first tank w/ deco Ive ever had) along with some plastic plants and a chunk of driftwood I use to feed the plec. Heres my idea...

1 Anacharis
2 Blood Stargrass
3 Japanese Fans
1 Dwarf Lily Plant
4 Dwarf Onions
1 Asian Ambulia
10 Tall Sagittaria subulata
1 small red-spot Ozelot sword
8 Crypt Walkeri
3 Java Ferns

This list will vary...I have very limited lighting and i do not wish to use C02. I think i may use duckweed and more java ferns/moss and perhaps some vallis whatever is the easiest/hardiest to grow. For substrate, i plan to use a mixture of natural gravel w/ Flourite or LATERITE. How does this sound?

Sound good.

Because you will use good substrate, not using co2 shouldnt be that bad. I dont... :)

Lighting is neccessary for photosynthesis, the process where plants make there own food, so the stronger the light the better. Im just learning about lights, so im no expert but things like java fern and java moss dont recquire strong lightining anywyas.

Someone should come along soon and give you better info. this was just a BUMB!

Benny

That's an awful lot of plant species you plan to have in there. It's better to have more of a few types of plants than just a smattering of individual plants that look good in their own right. Plants tend to look better in groups, specifically odd numbers. Although the numbers won't matter once you get lush, dense growth where one plant seamlessly yeilds to another. It's easier to aquascape with fewer plant species as well and it will probably make your tank look better in the long run.

However, it's a good thing to have lots of plant species in a new-to-the-scene tank becuase you get to figure out what plant species grow and don't grow in your tank. Then after that you could always get more of what does. But there are some plants that are basically guaranteed.

For a low light tank, besides the obvious, one plant that seems to grow well is Hygrophelia polysperma. From what I've heard it's basically difficult not to grow it. You want plants that will thrive, not die or just... be there looking all sickly and everything. Making the tank look nice by filling it up with plants is what the entire point of this is right?

Anyway, good call on the substrate, your plants should like that. Post some pics when you get it done. :thumbs:

-and just a warning: don't forget algae control starts before you even set up the tank. be prepared.

thanks for the replies! I've re thought out my plan....Okay so heres the list now.

2 Hygrophila, Green (Hygrophila polysperma)
1 Hygrophila, Tropic Sunset (Alternanthera sessilis)
2 Peices of Java Moss (Vesicularia dubyana)
10 Vallisneria (some sort perhaps spiralis or americana)
3 Java Fern (Microsorium pteropus)
1 Hornwort (Ceratophyllum submersum)

How does this sound?

Sounds really good, bshock. Nice plant selection too. Maybe you could get some aponogenton bulbs (or just "Plant Bulbs") from Petco or something as well. They sell them in packets of about 8 bulbs each. Those grew well even when I had .75wpg and I ended up getting an awesome red tiger lotus plant out of it. As time goes on and your tank starts looking better, you'll get hooked and eventually upgrade to higher lighting and CO2 and broaden your range of plants. The planted tank is the best decoration to a room possible. You'll see. ;)

This site, The Making of Nature Aquarium, was really helpful to me when I was first setting up. Set-up and aquascaping is described in detail. Good site, should be helpful.

Most reactions

Back