Wanting Advice For 65L Tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

AshleyNZ

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hey all, so i've been told that I have way overstocked my tank. Thanks for that, I would never have figured that otherwise...
( I read the rule as one inch per litre )
So.. Here's my list of fish.
~ 2 RummyNose Tetra
~ 4 Platies
~ 1 Balloon Bellied Molly
~ 1 Red-Tailed Shark
~ 1 Black Widow
~ 1 Tiger Barb
~ 2 Serpae Tetra
~ 1 Golden Apple Snail
~ 2 Neon Tetra
~ 1 Red Neon Tetra
~ 2 Penguin Tetra
~ 2 Glowlight Tetra
~ 1 Yellow Three-Spot Gourami
~ 2 Bloodfins
~ 2 Peppered Corydory Catfish
~ 1 Zebra Danio 
I think thats it. Okay, the fish that are concerning me the most is the Tiger Barb and the Red Tail. Both are aggressive, but I find that the Tiger Barb is the one that does the most damage. He nips fins.. Lots of my guppies died after having their tails ripped/nipped. All the other fish get along, the Gourami being the gentle giant :) 

I am one hour away from a nearest pet shop... but I also know this lady with a pet shop in her shed... she sold me the Red Tail over a year ago, along with the Gourami. She has a Gourami, Electric Yellow, Guppy, Axolotl and turtle tank. Im thinking about trading some of them in to her, well, asking about it, but I dont know if these fish would be best suited there. And I don't know what one's id want to get rid of... Apart from the Tiger Barb. The Shark I'm sending him back there ASAP. 

Advice will be much appreciated!

~Ashley

Basically, my advice is the same as it was in your other topic :)
Get rid of all of your tetras, keeping your favourite and upping its school number to at least 6
Keep your snail, platies (maybe only keep two?) and your favourite tetra, then go from there.

If you can get to New Plymouth, there are several petshops there that would probably be willing to take your fish.

BTW sorry, you must be getting sick of me commenting on your posts :p

No, no! It's great help! I feel horrible now knowing that my fish are not as happy as I thought they were! 
I think we're going back up there to get school stationary... so ill see if I can contact the mitre 10 and see if they will take them? (They don't always have the same types of fish when I go)
Ill be sure to check. Im feeling rather guilty knowing that i've overstocked...maybe ill contact the other lady first, and then go from there?

Do you think I should keep my Corys? I have sand substrate, they sift through it and cleanse it :)

Thanks so much for your help!
~Ashley (The noob fishkeeper :eek:)

If this comes up...it's a photo of my fishtank currently. Ill just save my profile pic as it then haha. 

Edit 2: now that dimensions are confirmed:

Here is what I would definitely find new homes for:
~ 2 RummyNose Tetra: because they need a bigger tank as they are quite active and grow quite large
~ 1 Red-Tailed Shark: because it needs a much bigger tank as it grows large and is very active
~ 1 Tiger Barb: because these nip unless kept in a proper school
~ 2 Serpae Tetra: because these nip unless kept in a proper school
~ 2 Penguin Tetra: because they need a bigger tank as they grow large
~ 1 Yellow Three-Spot Gourami: because it needs a bigger tank as it grows large
~ 2 Peppered Corydory Catfish: because they need a bigger tank as they are quite active and grow relatively big
~ 1 Zebra Danio: because it needs a much bigger tank as it is very active

This is what you should be heft with:
~ 4 Platies: hardwater fish, should have at least 2 females per male or have only male livebearers, will drop fry
~ 1 Balloon Bellied Molly: hardwater fish, should be female or have only male livebearers, will drop fry if female
~ 1 Black Widow: ideally keep in groups of 10+
~ 1 Golden Apple Snail: needs hard water; if it dies, can kill off all fish in tank
~ 2 Neon Tetra: ideally keep in groups of 10+
~ 1 Red Neon Tetra: ideally keep in groups of 10+
~ 2 Glowlight Tetra: ideally keep in groups of 10+
~ 2 Bloodfins: ideally keep in groups of 10+

And what your tank will take:
* 10 small tetras
* 10 dwarf Corys

or:
* 2m 4-6f livebearers (that will drop fry)
* 1 applesnail

And what I recommend that you keep:
* 8 glowlight tetras
* 1m 1f honey gouramis
* 8 dwarf Corys (if you have sand)

My suggestion is not far off in number from what you have now, but they are much smaller fish, so are a lower bioload and in groups that they will be happier in.

My advice would be get rid of everything apart from all tetras and then what i would do is keep the cories but get six of every tetra because tetras are mostly schooling fish and a red tail shark will outgrow your tank become very agressive and eat all your tetras.

ps. a red tail shark needs 55gallons to it self.

Im getting rid of the Red-Tail. (When I got him I thought 1L=1G) Oops. 
I have never seen Honey Gouramis anywhere i've been, neither with Dwarf Corys. My Corys are only 2cm long, thats small enough for me... They are $10-20 each at pet shops. How am I supposed to afford 6?
confused.gif
 (The two I currently have are my profile picture :) )

It's an Aquamode 600, should be able to find it somewhere on the net.
I think its 60cm high, 60cm tall. The front is curved. Looking down on it, it's a semi-circle. The furtherest point from the back glass is probably 30cm?

My Red Tail only chases the fish. He has never eaten any, as they are all too big to be eaten. 

Im just struggling to figure out what to do with these fish... like find a home for them. Nearest pet store is ages away..(1Hour)
My parents are not going to take me there specially. I may check with the Animates in New Plymouth to see if they'd take them in... and possibly let me trade some fish in?
Thanks
smile.png

~Ashley

How long is the tank? 60 cm as well?

AshleyNZ said:
My Corys are only 2cm long, thats small enough for me... They are $10-20 each at pet shops. How am I supposed to afford 6?
confused.gif

Yeah… they're not going to stay that small and if they do, that would be because there's something wrong with them.

Save up, just like many of us had to do when we were your age. I used to buy fish that I was guaranteed to be able to breed so that I could trade them in at the LFS for fish that I really wanted to keep.

The Tank is 60 high, 60 long (Square) And the highest point from the back pane of glass to the front is 30cm. 

I rang up Mitre 10 Mega and Animates today ( Quite hard for me to do )
M10 said they don't take in fish, and Animates said I can surrender them, but they don't buy from customers. TBH, I'm quite guttered because I thought that was the best idea, trading them in. I don't want to surrender them, as that would be a massive loss in money, and I wont have much money to buy the other fish i'm after. 

And abut the size of the Corys, thats the same size they are in all the pet shops ive seen in them :)

I've found out im going to NP this or next week, and that will be the only time in ages, for sure. I'll have to get things sussed by then. 
Ill contact the RTS lady tonight. 
~Ashley.

AshleyNZ said:
The Tank is 60 high, 60 long (Square) And the highest point from the back pane of glass to the front is 30cm. 

That makes your tank about 100 litres in volume, not 65. It does explain why you haven't had problems with ammonia and whatnot, but doesn't help for maximum adult size when stocking for the fish that are too big. Please have a read of what I said in my previous post about why which fish are good and which are not.

AshleyNZ said:
M10 said they don't take in fish, and Animates said I can surrender them, but they don't buy from customers. TBH, I'm quite guttered because I thought that was the best idea, trading them in. I don't want to surrender them, as that would be a massive loss in money, and I wont have much money to buy the other fish i'm after. 

What about finding fellow fishkeepers in your area? There are bound to be some NZ specific forums or a NZ fishkeeping club.

AshleyNZ said:
And abut the size of the Corys, thats the same size they are in all the pet shops ive seen in them
smile.png

Shops don't normally sell adult fish. Those fish are babies. It takes a lot of time and food to grow fish to adult size, so selling adult fish would be considerably less profitable.

The tank is definetley 65L, as that is what the aquarium manual states. http://www.aquaone.co.uk/documents/Aquamode600_instructions_lowres_new.pdf.
How does that explain why I haven't had Ammonia problems? Just curious. I've never tested ammonia :/
I don't know any people in town that keep fish personally, but I'm hoping to find some. I think I want to try pet stores first...
Ah thanks, didn't know that. I just need them to maintain the sand. See, I try to research as much as I can before I leave town ( Very rarely )
but usually they change their species of fish, so I just chose fish from the "community tropical fish" section, the ones in small tanks.
I know this is not ideal. Im learning still :) If it comes to that, ill put an auction up on TM. 

~Ashley

Yeah, the tank is indeed 65L, because it is a bowfront, it looses some of its volume :) But also bear in mind that things like substrate and your decorations will also take up volume.

I know what you mean about costs, I've been in the same boat many times! The best thing to do is plan ahead, by the things that are absolutely necessary first, and work your way from there.
If you get pocket money, then save it up until you can buy 2 or so fish, then gradually increase their school. Maybe do some extra jobs around the house to get some more money. Maybe you could do a paper run?

Yes, rehoming the fish does mean a loss of money unfortunately, however ultimately, the well-fare of the fish has to matter more, and in the end, it will all be worth it to have a nice tank, well stocked tank!

If you look at FNZAS then you should be able to find some people in your area that would be willing to take the fish. 

Ugh, I hated paper runs! Haha. I work at my mother's woman's clothing boutique, she works alone so she depends a lot on me. Just spent $1000 on a Blue Tongue Skink so I'm broke... Ill probably have $70 going up there? Waiting for an E-Mail from two pet stores now. I wont be going up to NP after ive gone for like a year, so the fish would get very lonely in the tank. I've looked on FNZAS, but I'm'm unable to see how you find people in your area? Thanks for the help :)
~Ashley

If you post an ad in the private exchange part then hopefully someone will respond who is in your area.

If you do this, list all of the fish you want to get rid of and hope that someone will have a preexisting school that they want to add to.
Good luck!

Thanks :) I've decided to put them up on Trademe, as I see a tank auction from this area with loads of interest...so that means there are people out there :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back