Wanted Your Old Water.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

fishyant

Reaction score
If anyone in or around derby is due a water change could i be concidered for your old water :)

I am starting a 30g tank and was told its best to use 10-20g of used water to kick start my tank.
My curent salt levels are 1025 but i can add salt/water to change so any levels are fine.

I have 2 x 5 gallon buckets and ofc im willing to collect.

Many thanks

old tank water is unlikely to help kick start the filter bacteria colony as the water coloumn contains little to no bacteria.

99% of the bacteria will be found in the filter media. A good squeeze of some mature filter sponges into those buckets and then pured into the tank near the filter intake would be a much better bet.

Of course most marine tanks don't have filters as such, so some good quality cured (seeded with bacteria and tiny animals) live rock would be easier to find.

ooops! didn't notice this was in the marine section.

ignore my advice.

Yes i have some live rock but i was told by my LFS that old water would make an even better start. i have placed 20g in the tank of fresh ro water so far and im just looking for at least 10g to help it along..

I have also seen many people around the net whome also reccomend this.

I have also exchanged some 2 year old live sand with some fresh live sand and as for my filter i only have a 500 lph just while i get to stable condition then i will wean the filter off the tank so it relys purly on rock sand and a clean up crew (when my tank is ready)

Many thanks

@ZoddyZod no worries but thanks for taking the time to reply.

Edit. now found ty ppl

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back