Want To Start A Planted Tank

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

fry_forever!

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Hey guys. I have 5 aquariums, and they are all planted. Not a lot, just java moss, java fern, and vallisneria. However, I want to turn my 57 gallon Mbuna tank (will give away the labs) into a pretty densely planted tank. I actually have no idea what I'm doing. Not sure of substrate, lighting (2-3 WPG is what I read), Co2, ferts, or anything, for that matter. In the tanks I have set up right now, I don't have anything special - they just grow on their own with minimal lighting and no Co2.

Any help to get me started? (ie. a list of things I'll need?)

Thanks in advance!
Sorry to ask general questions on a very broad topic!

-f_f!

Hey guys. I have 5 aquariums, and they are all planted. Not a lot, just java moss, java fern, and vallisneria. However, I want to turn my 57 gallon Mbuna tank (will give away the labs) into a pretty densely planted tank. I actually have no idea what I'm doing. Not sure of substrate, lighting (2-3 WPG is what I read), Co2, ferts, or anything, for that matter. In the tanks I have set up right now, I don't have anything special - they just grow on their own with minimal lighting and no Co2.

Any help to get me started? (ie. a list of things I'll need?)

Thanks in advance!
Sorry to ask general questions on a very broad topic!

-f_f!

It really depends on what you want. Try reading this first...

PARC

Do you want a lot of maintenance, or only a little?

If you plan on using Co2 I would suggest a diy pressurized setup. However, with most planted tanks and Co2 and ferts, quite a bit of trimming is needed especially whne it's all dialed in.

You can have up to 6WPG but after that the extra light actually doesn't help. Anywhere between the 2-4 WPG is definately pretty good. Depending on how high your WPG is and how long your photperiod is, will be the deciding factor in how much nutrients the plants soak up.

Okay, I'll read that. Well, I was thinking not tons of maintenance, but I also don't want to be doing absolutely nothing with it. :lol: :p
Thanks! :)

Oh! I have another question! :) I have two lights for my 57 gallon! One on one side of the tank, and one on the other. How many watts per side would suffice for a planted tank? Thanks!

Right now I have two 40 watts. I'm concerned that it's going to be hard to get the proper amount of WPG, and still have enough power, if that makes sense. (like I wouldn't want 50 watts per side, because unless they were combined, I still wouldn't have enough power, even if I did have the proper amount of WPG)

Thanks! Sorry for the REALLY late reply. :S

Most reactions

trending

Back