Want some tips and tricks on raising platy fry! Check this out!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
There's nothing wrong with your video and you do a good job with them. But there is a couple of things you could have added.

Most tropical fish fry grow fastest when the water temperature is at 28C. Higher temperatures don't make them grow faster, and cooler temperatures can slow their growth down a bit.

28C seems to be the ideal number and you can test this for yourself by having a couple of tanks of fry and setting the water temperature to 28C in one tank and 24C in another. Feed both tanks the same and do water changes at the same time, and see if there is any difference after a month.

Having a coverglass on the tank will reduce evaporation and help hold the heat in so the heater doesn't need to come on as often. You can also put some polystyrene foam on the back and sides of the tank (on the outside) and this will help reduce heat loss.

----------------------
You should do lots of big water changes and gravel cleans on rearing tanks to encourage the babies to grow faster.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank, and try to have the new water at the same or similar temperature to the aquarium water.

Again you can test this to see if daily water changes are better than weekly water changes. Have 2 tanks set up with the same temperature and the same number of fry in each tank. Do a 50% water change each day on tank 1, and a 50% water change once a week on tank 2. See if there is any difference in the size of the fry after a month.

----------------------
Newly hatched brineshrimp is a good food for baby livebearers, and so are microworms. If you feed these in addition to the dry foods you were using, the fry will grow even faster.

When you feed the baby fish, feed them small amounts but often, and make sure they have fat stomachs after feeding. You want the babies to look like pregnant guppies. Yours do :) If their stomach is full, it takes longer for them to digest the food and they get a steady supply of nutrients from the food, over a longer period of time.

You can test different foods and growth rates by having a couple of tanks set up with the fry in. Have the tank water at the same temperature and do water changes on the same day. Feed tank 1 on powdered food only. Feed tank 2 powdered food and newly hatched brineshrimp.

Newly hatched brineshrimp can survive in freshwater for a few hours so you can add some and the baby fish can eat the brineshrimp during the next few hours.

After a month, see if there is any difference in the size of the fry.

----------------------
Anyway, keep up the good work. And if you want to try culturing some live food for baby fish, the following link has info on how to do it.

There's nothing wrong with your video and you do a good job with them. But there is a couple of things you could have added.

Most tropical fish fry grow fastest when the water temperature is at 28C. Higher temperatures don't make them grow faster, and cooler temperatures can slow their growth down a bit.

28C seems to be the ideal number and you can test this for yourself by having a couple of tanks of fry and setting the water temperature to 28C in one tank and 24C in another. Feed both tanks the same and do water changes at the same time, and see if there is any difference after a month.

Having a coverglass on the tank will reduce evaporation and help hold the heat in so the heater doesn't need to come on as often. You can also put some polystyrene foam on the back and sides of the tank (on the outside) and this will help reduce heat loss.

----------------------
You should do lots of big water changes and gravel cleans on rearing tanks to encourage the babies to grow faster.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank, and try to have the new water at the same or similar temperature to the aquarium water.

Again you can test this to see if daily water changes are better than weekly water changes. Have 2 tanks set up with the same temperature and the same number of fry in each tank. Do a 50% water change each day on tank 1, and a 50% water change once a week on tank 2. See if there is any difference in the size of the fry after a month.

----------------------
Newly hatched brineshrimp is a good food for baby livebearers, and so are microworms. If you feed these in addition to the dry foods you were using, the fry will grow even faster.

When you feed the baby fish, feed them small amounts but often, and make sure they have fat stomachs after feeding. You want the babies to look like pregnant guppies. Yours do :) If their stomach is full, it takes longer for them to digest the food and they get a steady supply of nutrients from the food, over a longer period of time.

You can test different foods and growth rates by having a couple of tanks set up with the fry in. Have the tank water at the same temperature and do water changes on the same day. Feed tank 1 on powdered food only. Feed tank 2 powdered food and newly hatched brineshrimp.

Newly hatched brineshrimp can survive in freshwater for a few hours so you can add some and the baby fish can eat the brineshrimp during the next few hours.

After a month, see if there is any difference in the size of the fry.

----------------------
Anyway, keep up the good work. And if you want to try culturing some live food for baby fish, the following link has info on how to do it.
I started culturing mosquito larvae last year, but my parents didn't want me breeding mosquitoes! Thanks for the information and support!

I started culturing mosquito larvae last year, but my parents didn't want me breeding mosquitoes! Thanks for the information and support!
Yeah it's actually illegal to culture mozzies in most parts of the world due to them spreading diseases like Ross River virus and Barmah Forest virus, not to mention Malaria.

Having said that, if you have an infusoria or green water culture that does not have a lid, it will become infested with mozzie larvae and you will need to scoop them out with a fine mesh net so they don't eat the infusoria. They can then be rinsed off and fed to the fish ;)

If you live in a cool climate you can culture Daphnia and they make a great live food for fish. You sometimes get mozzie larvae in Daphnia cultures too.

Yeah it's actually illegal to culture mozzies in most parts of the world due to them spreading diseases like Ross River virus and Barmah Forest virus, not to mention Malaria.

Having said that, if you have an infusoria or green water culture that does not have a lid, it will become infested with mozzie larvae and you will need to scoop them out with a fine mesh net so they don't eat the infusoria. They can then be rinsed off and fed to the fish ;)

If you live in a cool climate you can culture Daphnia and they make a great live food for fish. You sometimes get mozzie larvae in Daphnia cultures too.
Thanks for the information! Appreciate it!

I've just watched your video and left a comment behind.
Colin T overhere gave you some good tips.

I do have to say that I myself keep the fry in the adult tank. Mine won't eat or chase the fry.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back