Want An Anemone

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

1234-fishy-freind

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Hi guys. I'm thinking about getting a bubble tip anemone, Entacmaea quadricolor or similar. I just want to know if you think my lighting is strong enough. My tank is around 80gal and I'm currently running 4X 54w T5s. Is this enough??
Thanks, josh.

If you go by the "general rule", you only have 2.7 watts/gallon which really isn't enough for SPS let alone an anemone.

I personally don't like that rule because I think it is very inaccurate.

Personally I think if you have 200 watts of compact fluorescent or T5, you could put more light demanding coral in your tank, as long as you keep them near the surface so they get the most light.
My personal rule is 3-4 watts/gallon can sustain most LPS and more forgiving SPS at the surface of the tank. Less than that don't bother with SPS, and more than that you can move the corals down more.
On my previous 90 gallon tank I had 260 watts of compact fluorescent and kept a nice bird nest which grew quickly.

But since anemones like to move around a lot, you won't be able to ensure that he/she is getting enough light wherever he/she decides to go. So in your case I would shy away from the nems :good:

Hope this Helps,
Nick

I dont agree with the OP - I have kept my bubble tips under exactly the same lighting and they are thriving - however I wouldnt put any other than a BTA in there :good:

Seffie x

I dont agree with the OP - I have kept my bubble tips under exactly the same lighting and they are thriving - however I wouldnt put any other than a BTA in there :good:

Seffie x

I'd agree with seffie, aslong as all parameters are spot on and powerheads covered the lighting should be ok.

With regards to them moving around and not getting enough light, they generally find them most suitable spot and won't settle unless happy.

I would agree that a BTA would be your best bet if you were to get an anemone.
Just make sure you really research their needs as they can be very finicky depending of the individual.

Also make sure that the specimen that you want to buy doesn't have any damage to his/her foot.
Sometimes damage is inflicted to the anemone when they are ripped of the reef. :no:

I would also feed him/her at least twice a week with some mysis, squid, tuna, ect.

Nick

Hey sorry to hijack but i have found a new type thats entered the trade. Its been around in the US for around 5 years and has been here for a few years. Its called a Mini Maxi Anemones (Stichodactyla tapetum) they are £31.99 on fishmansfrags.co.uk
They are meant to be very hardy and only grow up to 5 inches, i just want to know if anyone has ever had one of these or a garden on them? I would like one but i dont know if my lighting is ok?

Harry I have one (this one really is aswell!) and from what I understand they are hard as nails.
They do photosynthesis but don't need mass amounts of light and take the odd bit of food.
If you have LPS youR lighting should be ok with a maxi but be warned they can sting your corals and are sticky as hell so if you have any small goby/blennies they be in danger.

ok thanks :good: dam i just brought a algae blenny :crazy: well i have read that these types of fish do stay clear on them. just depends how stupid my one is lol :rolleyes:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back