Walstad tank stocking

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
I suggest there are a few things to sort out here. The first is, just what sort of tank is involved? "Walstad" method can vary a lot. What is the substrate? Soil has serious issues, but sand is very different. A sponge filter was mentioned as possible, I would add this. True Walstad method has very minimal water changes (the very low stocking levels allow for this, sort of) but this is never something I would remotely recommend.

The water is RO so that's fine, there are a number of suitable very soft water fish species that are "nano" sized. The substrate will affect some of these.

General comment on stocking. Sites like Aqadvisor cannot possibly take account all the factors involved, so at best they are a very rough guide. Each species of fish has needs that must be met or they will be stressed and prone to more problems. Some of these needs include numbers of the species for shoaling species, and there is the swimming activity level which may require a longer tank than some other species. The normal mature size needs to be considered--this is where the Widow Tetra fails; at 2 to 2.5 inches and requiring a group of at least 10, and being moderately active swimming, it is not suited for a 15g tank or a 20g.

Btw @GaryE , your guess was right, I am from south India. How did you know?
Your sig says India and you never mentioned a heater. Those of us who freeze for half the year are always concerned about that piece of tech.

Thanks guys for all the advice. I am going to give my tetras to my cousin whose got a large tank and I ll buy some chilli rasboras.

Good choice. Single sex guppy tanks are as boring as it gets. The fun with them is breeding and seeing what you get
Chili rasbora will act fairly naturally in a tank like that. Their small sizes will make the tank look larger, and there will be things going on other than the sad desperation of guppies. Plus, IMHO, they're prettier.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back