Walstad Jar

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Your jar is definitely a success @Mick85 👌
Could you please tell me what bulb do you use (spectrum and lumens) ?
It's literally just an LED desk lamp I got from Officeworks. Think it's about 5w but I could be wrong. Does the job either way!

These are so pretty and interesting.
I have several tanks already, so
I would love to start a terrarium.
I like mosses and fern-ish things.
Some day...

Well the jar is in my office at work and we're in lockdown again so not much has been happening with it! I added about 6 Red Cherry shrimp to it because the crystal reds seem to like to hang out at the back all the time. Have given it a bit of a trim and done a water change too. Also got a new light for it which is bright white instead of warm white so gives it a bit of a different look. I'll snap a photo next time I go into the office!

I've actually started a little business making walstad jars/bowls. I advertised about a week ago on Facebook marketplace and I've got 4 orders already! Here's the beginnings of the first one.
20210816_162821.jpg

20210816_162827.jpg

Came in to the office today after a week at home and the plants are going nuts again! I gave them a trim back a couple of weeks ago and it's about due for another trim, or I might just let it go jungle style haha. I like the new light on it too, it doesn't make the jar look yellow like the other light.

20210820_113009.jpg

20210820_121424.jpg

Last edited:
Came in to the office today after a week at home and the plants are going nuts again! I gave them a trim back a couple of weeks ago and it's about due for another trim, or I might just let it go jungle style haha. I like the new light on it too, it doesn't make the jar look yellow like the other light.
That is the Kelvin rating of the globe. Warm lights produce a yellow orange glow and have a Kelvin rating around 3000-4000K (K is for Kelvin). These lights have mostly yellow and red wavelengths of light.

Cool lights have a higher Kelvin rating (around 5000-6500K) and have blue, red and yellow wavelengths of light and produce a clear white light.

Natural sunlight from our sun has yellow, green, red, blue and ultraviolet wavelengths of light, and has a Kelvin rating around 5500-6500K.

Eexpensive but very cool
Everything aquarium related is expensive here, unfortunately. If you can find a pea puffer here the cheapest I've seen is about $180 whereas in other countries they're only a few dollars.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back