Walstad Jar

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Ok! Do you know how to make it less buoyant? It keeps floating off the substrate and blocking the pump.
I had the same problem! Plant it deeper or get a bunch together and attach a weight to them.

I had the same problem! Plant it deeper or get a bunch together and attach a weight to them.
Well... My substrate is quite shallow, and the weight that came with it... well... It's too light. The plant starts lifting it anyway. :rofl:

Well... My substrate is quite shallow, and the weight that came with it... well... It's too light. The plant starts lifting it anyway. :rofl:
Try those little ceramic pots that some fish stores have, they seem to do the job!

As far as your shrimp fanning they usually do that when they are berried with eggs. Can you notice any eggs on her belly?

Try those little ceramic pots that some fish stores have, they seem to do the job!

As far as your shrimp fanning they usually do that when they are berried with eggs. Can you notice any eggs on her belly?
No, but I've noticed her swimming around on the top. I assume she's releasing pheromones. I did see some transparent blobs on her underside, but those might be the fanner things.

My mayaca fluviatilis has gone crazy! Actually everything kind of has. Shrimpies have heaps of biolfim and organic matter to munch on so they're doing really well too.
Now vs 7 weeks ago
20210707_140208.jpg
20210520_200342.jpg

I've actually only done 2 water changes on it since I started it. Otherwise I've just been topping it off with water and it seems to be doing good.

I'm planning a frozen themed walstad jar for my daughter too so definitely got that MTS haha🤦‍♂️

Last edited:
You inspired me to take the plunge and make one too. It has no lid so no shrimps for me, but the lidded jar I found cost a fortune in postage. I hope mine will fill out like yours! Excuse the murk :confused: View attachment 139544
Yessss Sunnyspots that looks awesome! You could definitely put shrimp in that. I've got no lid on mine, the water level is even higher than yours and I've had no shrimp jump out! Go for it!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back