Walking Catfish Injured

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Primavera83

Reaction score
Hi there!

This is my first post in this forum, and I hope it will be a useful one to all of tropical fish lovers!

Well, I have got 2 walking catfish (clarias batrachus) in a 10 gallon tank, and both of them are almost same size, 1.5 the length of my palm (one is slightly bigger) they look exactly like the ones in this link http://www.ratemyfish.com/?action=ssp&pid=452 . when I bought them, they were as big as long as my fingers! Anyway, I'm not sure what sex they are, but the thing is that the bigger one started attacking the smaller one a few days ago and got the other one's tail or caudal fin ripped badly. I tried to separate them by moving the enjured one to a 15 gallon tank which had other "friendly" fish, thinking that the catfish wouldn't attack them since it was injured, but I was wrong. So I was forced to put back with the other catfish. The injured catfish is still alive, breathing fast, ofcourse, and not moving much. It hasn't eaten, like normally it used to, lately.

Now, I believe I have the required medication for the catfish, but I can't afford to get another tank to separate it and treat it. I was thinking if there was a way to cover the catfish's body or atleast and injured part with something, which would still keep it exposed to the water but at the same time prevents the other cat fish from reaching the injured part and the other parts of the body. Otherwise I will have to give it away to any fish shop where they can take better care of it, and I will lose a big fish that will get me good cash if I sell it or if I exchange it for other fish.

I would be more than grateful if you shared your ideas with me.

Thanks, and keep up the good work!

I don't know much about walking catfish, but large catfish in general tend to be a bit predatory. And I believe walking catfish get about a foot long or more, I'm don't think either of your tanks are large enough for 1 or them. Keep in mind that a lot of catfish can be a little territorial, the attacker might have felt crowded in with the victim, which is what's causing the fighting.

In regards to the catfish's injury, the best thing to do imo is just keep the water clean to let him to heal. In regards to the situation as a whole, given the small tanks you have, I don't think you should have either of them period.

I don't know much about walking catfish, but large catfish in general tend to be a bit predatory. And I believe walking catfish get about a foot long or more, I'm don't think either of your tanks are large enough for 1 or them. Keep in mind that a lot of catfish can be a little territorial, the attacker might have felt crowded in with the victim, which is what's causing the fighting.

In regards to the catfish's injury, the best thing to do imo is just keep the water clean to let him to heal. In regards to the situation as a whole, given the small tanks you have, I don't think you should have either of them period.

+1 these are out and out predators and will kill each other if they feel threatened for food and while not territorial in the true sense if they feel cramped they will lash out.

Walking catfish know exactly where to bite each other to paralyze them. Its a point on the neck and severs a lot of nerves even if the skin is not broken and when this happens the only thing to do is put the injured fish down.

With regards the short term fix of getting the injured fish healed just keep the water quality up with regular water changes and treat with Melafix which will be fine with the other fish in the tank.

Wills

Hi there!

This is my first post in this forum, and I hope it will be a useful one to all of tropical fish lovers!

Well, I have got 2 walking catfish (clarias batrachus) in a 10 gallon tank, and both of them are almost same size, 1.5 the length of my palm (one is slightly bigger) they look exactly like the ones in this link http://www.ratemyfis...ion=ssp&pid=452 . when I bought them, they were as big as long as my fingers! Anyway, I'm not sure what sex they are, but the thing is that the bigger one started attacking the smaller one a few days ago and got the other one's tail or caudal fin ripped badly. I tried to separate them by moving the enjured one to a 15 gallon tank which had other "friendly" fish, thinking that the catfish wouldn't attack them since it was injured, but I was wrong. So I was forced to put back with the other catfish. The injured catfish is still alive, breathing fast, ofcourse, and not moving much. It hasn't eaten, like normally it used to, lately.

Now, I believe I have the required medication for the catfish, but I can't afford to get another tank to separate it and treat it. I was thinking if there was a way to cover the catfish's body or atleast and injured part with something, which would still keep it exposed to the water but at the same time prevents the other cat fish from reaching the injured part and the other parts of the body. Otherwise I will have to give it away to any fish shop where they can take better care of it, and I will lose a big fish that will get me good cash if I sell it or if I exchange it for other fish.

I would be more than grateful if you shared your ideas with me.

Thanks, and keep up the good work!

get rid of them now. no ifs no buts no maybes.
clarias cats will grow from 3 inches to 18 in less than a year.(and wont stop there) they will eat everything that fits in their mouths.
they can, and will escape. as they can live, quite happily, in a wet sack, with no other water. and, as their name suggests, they walk too.
unless you are going out NOW to buy a 500g tank. get rid of them.
as for treating them, there is little point. they will die soon enough anyway. !0 gallons in not big enough the a few guppies, never mind two cats that are already too big for it.

in truth these fish should not be in the hobby. but greedy LFS still sell em.

Hey guys!

Thank you for the replies. I moved the injured catfish to a bucket and equiped it with heating and oxygen sources and provided medication (Tetra General Tonic) and looks like the fish health has improved. At least now it's breathing almost normally, moving normally and eating! I'm feeding it small size guppies. But well, I guess I should get rid of them like you guys said. I will just give them to the fish shop as an exchange for other kinds of smaller friendly fish. It's just not easy for me to get rid of a pet that I've seen growing day after day, it's like they are your own kids, you know what I mean lol I wish I could get a bigger tank, I love to pet fish and other kinds of animals, but I can't afford a big tank..

Thanks again guys.

Hey guys!

Thank you for the replies. I moved the injured catfish to a bucket and equiped it with heating and oxygen sources and provided medication (Tetra General Tonic) and looks like the fish health has improved. At least now it's breathing almost normally, moving normally and eating! I'm feeding it small size guppies. But well, I guess I should get rid of them like you guys said. I will just give them to the fish shop as an exchange for other kinds of smaller friendly fish. It's just not easy for me to get rid of a pet that I've seen growing day after day, it's like they are your own kids, you know what I mean lol I wish I could get a bigger tank, I love to pet fish and other kinds of animals, but I can't afford a big tank..

Thanks again guys.

I understand. I only give my advice form experience. not only did i have to give my fish up. i had to "put it down". as not even the shop would take it back.
however, I will not make a mistake like that again, so all was not lost.
I'm just thankful i had the expertise and experience of long serving TFF members, to help me make a good decision.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back