Waiting Patiently For Plants To Take, But...

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

nurglespuss

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
Now eperiencing hair algae (which I will attempt to treat with chemical remover) and plant leaves are dying on all the plants now. I wonder if I should just give in, go back to LFS and buy all new plants ( the riccia in a feeding cup near the surface is doing fine) and re-plant? Didn't want to as the little puffer in the tanks is doing very very well. Still a little confused as to why they are dying, the only possible reason I can thing of (other than bad luck and lack of CO2) is that the post was too cold for them....

Bugger,

Now eperiencing hair algae (which I will attempt to treat with chemical remover) and plant leaves are dying on all the plants now. I wonder if I should just give in, go back to LFS and buy all new plants ( the riccia in a feeding cup near the surface is doing fine) and re-plant? Didn't want to as the little puffer in the tanks is doing very very well. Still a little confused as to why they are dying, the only possible reason I can thing of (other than bad luck and lack of CO2) is that the post was too cold for them....

Bugger,
Low ferts can = hair algae along with lack of co2 and too much/wrong lighting wavelengths. I would ensure co2 is at 20-25 ppm. make sure all nutrients are high as with EI dosing (pinned above). make sure you have enough micro nutrients and Fe as that is a common mistake. You can replant but if you get all your ferts and co2 up you can just trim of ALL old leaves and plants with good roots will recover

Cheers, was trying to go with a low maintainance system with no CO2 this time round, guess I'll have to drop that idea :(

Yeah I've been fertlilising every week, but perhaps I will increase this, trim off bad leaves, and add CO2 thanks :>

have you just put them in, after getting them through the post?

if so, plants tend to die off when they are put into new tanks, and then they re-grow quickly. I think it has something to do with the fact that they are grown with just their roots in the water, so their leaves change when you put them in the tank? :blink: something like that. So if they are going yellow and dropping off, it's normal. :good:

Cheers matey :>

Ah thank you from the bottom of my pirate heart. :p, Patience comes difficulty to me!

Thanks!

Llj specialties in low light easy maintenance tanks, her journals will be packed with useful stuff.

Sam

have you just put them in, after getting them through the post?

if so, plants tend to die off when they are put into new tanks, and then they re-grow quickly. I think it has something to do with the fact that they are grown with just their roots in the water, so their leaves change when you put them in the tank? :blink: something like that. So if they are going yellow and dropping off, it's normal. :good:

This is only true with certain types of plants--not all can be grown emersed. Even the ones that can be are not always, it depends on the supplier.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back