TFF Contest Czar
Staff member
Global Moderator ⚒️
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
POLL IS NOW CLOSED

PLEASE VOTE!
vote-totm.png

We have 7 worthy entrants for Fishforums' October Tank of the Month Contest. View all the tanks and descriptions below and then go to top of page and click on your choice for TOTM

It’s best to view these awesome tanks on a computer screen or a tablet instead of a small phone screen.

Winner will get a neat "Tank of the Month Winner" banner in his profile area and will be featured in a "TOTM Winner" thread for all to see and to comment on.

Please DO NOT post any comments about specific tanks in this thread...such posts will promptly be deleted. This thread will be cleaned up occasionally for best readability.

Poll will close on October 12 at 6:48 pm EST. We at fishforums.net thank you for your participation.

Last edited:
full

Here is my Birthday/Dwarf Puffer Tank.

It's a Fluval flex 57 and I set it up on the 5th of September. Fishless cycled with quick start.
Added 3 Dwarf Puffers on Saturday just gone. Apart from the skull, all the decor is handmade by me. The plants are Java Fern, 2 types of Jungle Val, Anubias Lanceolata, Anubias Nana, Anubias Barteri, Crypt Parva, Crypt Lucens, 2 types of Hair grass, a couple of clippings of Rotala Rotundifolia and some amazon frogbit.

Last edited by a moderator:
8A5FC3E7-D0B4-4BDE-A28F-00BE4217EB3D.jpeg

Size: 48.5 x 14.5 x 25 (76.1gUS - figure this to be more than the actual filled volume with glass thickness, substrate, decor etc but I bought secondhand and those are the outside dimensions of the glass)
Temp: 76
GH: 4 dGH
PH: 7.6

Fish:
12 x Tiger Barb
8 x Bronze Corydoras
1 x Bristlenose Pleco “Plucky”

Food Stuffs: Omega One Frozen Blood Worms x 1 split between tanks once a week, Blanched Zuchini/pea/vegetable once every two weeks, API bottom feeder shrimp pellets 1-2 six days out of the week, Omega One Veggie Rounds 1 tablet six days out of the week, Omega One Freshwater Flakes 6 days out of the week

Plants:
Anubias Barteri
Atlandsberg Sword
Java Fern
Valisneria
Java Fern Windelov
Elodea Anarchis
Cryptocoryne Wendtii Green
Marimo Moss Ball

Equipment:
JY-O3 Surface Skimmer
70 Aquaclear
HW304-B SunSun Canister Filter
GOOBAT Adjustable Titanium 300W Heater
48” Vivagrow LED 24/7 Light

I have had tank since July 29, 2019. Substrate is play sand. It has six pieces of driftwood, three cichlid stone hides, and a faux log tunnel. The tank is still a work in progress, but hopefully headed in the right direction.

Last edited:
Here is my tank....
9D963AA8-2963-4984-804B-F2837083D6B4.jpeg

Name of tank: Underwater Paradise

Size: 10 gallons

Time up and running: About 5 months.

Temperature: A steady 78 degrees Farinhite.

Heater: Interpet 3-10 gallon heater.

Filter: Tetra 2-10 gallon filter (3 stage filtration)

Lighting: Desk Clip lamp, with 60 WATT bulb.

Inhabitants:

1 Male Super Delta Tale/Dumbo Ear Betta Fish

1 Albino Bristlenose Pleco

1 very large Tiger Nerite snail

About 50 Blue Rams Horn Snails

About 60 MTS (Malaysian Trumpet Snails)

Plants:

• Long Leafed Anacharis
  • Short Leafed Anacharis
  • Lacy Java Fern
  • Anubias Minima
  • Anubias
  • Duckweed
  • Water lettuce
  • Swamp “Bush”

Decor:

• Dragon Stone
  • 3 pieces of driftwood
  • Lava Rock
  • Play Sand

Water Parameters:

Ph: 7.2-7.5

Ammonia: 0ppm

Nitrite: 0ppm

Nitrate: 0ppm

Background info.:

I have had this tank up and running for about 5 months now. The plants didn’t start taking off until just recently. I don’t use any liquid fertilizers or root tabs, I just let it grow!

Feeding Schedules:

I feed my betta 3-4 pellets every day and my Pleco/snails every other day. (1 algae wafer)

Maintenance Schedule:

I preform water Changes every week (50%+) and scrub the glass with the sponge.

Tips I have learned from this tank: If you have problems with your algae, on your sand, then try to get more floating plants, or taller plants. (Ex. Anacharis, Amazon Sword, etc.) This will block out almost all light from the surface of the substrate, giving all the light to the taller plants, preventing algae grow. Another one, never give up! ;)

This has been my tank, “Underwater Paradise”. Thank you for reading! :thanks:

kitchen tank 2.jpg
I have this tank in my kitchen. It is a 20 gallon tank and has the filter and hood that came with it from Pet Smart. I had these fish in a much smaller tank but after reading and reading on this site realized that I wasn't doing right by the fish so got the biggest tank I have room for in my tiny house. It's still probably considered overcrowded. I have kind of a Southwest theme since I live in New Mexico. There is a skull, several pieces of cholla wood that I found out in the desert, a few fake rocks that have holes in the back for the fish to hide in and a mix of plastic and live plants. I have 6 zebra danios, probably half a dozen platys - a few of them are babies of the adults; 6 albino cory catfish and 3 otocinclus that are left from a larger group. The cories like to hang out in a group in that front left corner which is why I included a separate picture of them. All of the plants attached to the wood are real - the others are plastic. I am trying to convert to all real but I have killed a lot of plants in the process - LOL. There's also a pretty healthy group of pond snails and a few Malaysian trumpet snails that I never actually see. I change out 75% of the water every week and vacuum the gravel - it's amazing what comes out of the gravel each time I clean the tank.

MVIMG_20190930_222756_resize_59.jpg

Not sure it counts because it doesn't have *any* fish in yet and is still very much cycling!

Here's my 60l Betta smaragdina tank, set up pretty much exclusively with things I had lying around the house/ in an abandoned 125l. It's set up as a semi-Walstad tank, with soil underneath the sand at the back of the tank and many, many more plants in the post to build up to very heavy planting, partly to reduce line-of-sight and partly because my tap water is awful! Also hoping the roots Theof the terrestrial plants will grow into the whole right-hand side of the tank to provide cover. The aim is to stock it with a breeding trio of B. smaragdina and possibly some Malaysian trumpet snails and Amani shrimp. Planning on doing ~50% water changes per week. Actual water volume is more like 35l due to the lowered water level (to reduce risk from jumping and allow me to have emergent plants) and large amount of hardscape.

Kit:
60l aquarium modified to have a rimless front
A1171 Aquamanta IFX 50 internal corner filter 200 l/hr
3W Aquamanta Xanti led light
clip-on LED terrestrial plant growth light

Hardscape:
Unknown driftwood and rocks from my garden that were sat in my empty 125l

Plants:
Above water:

Calathea (misto?)
Parlour palm
Pothos
Peperomia (Ruby Cascade?)

Floating:
Salvia natans

Below water:
unknown anubias
unknown leafy stem plant
unknown cryptocryne
Java moss

30.09.19 - cleaned and set up tank
01.10.19 - added fish food to provide ammonia
02.10.19 - test kit and Salvia natans came

added the S. natans
test results:
pH -> 7.4
NH3+ -> 0.5 ppm
NO2- -> 1.5 ppm
NO3- -> >160 ppm

So that's my tank, hope you like it!

Last edited:
Shrimp Vase: 12" x 12 " Cylinder Arrangement:

gHBDDA8.jpg

Recently set up, so still cycling ( for 6 weeks) before add shrimp. Shrimp will be tangerine tigers.
Filtration: Dennerle Nano Filter
Lighting: ATLEDtis Clip-on light. Another one on the way. Need one for front and back.
Substrate: Landen Sand.
Wood: Mopani on Slate
Stone: Manten rock

Plants:
Submersed/Emersed

Aquatic Reed ( type unknown)
Eleocharis vivipara

Submersed:
Marsilea quadrifolia
Blyxia japonica
Crypt. "green gecko"
Crypt. Parva.

Emersed Plants:
Mixed tillandsia
Bromeliad

SMG_6567.jpg

Tank: Aquaone Aquavogue 180
Filter: Seachem Tidal 55
Temp: 22-25C
NH4 / NO2 /NO3: 0/0/0
pH: 6.3
dGH: 0
dKH: 2
Substrate: Black Limpopo sand
Wood: Mopani
Stone: Dragon stone
Water change: 120 litres per week

Tank has been running for around 5 years. Replaced the substrate last weekend and did an aggressive prune.

Plants:
Anubias nana
Valisneria spiralis
Limnobium laevigatum (frogbit)
Echinodorus (various amazon swords, mostly hidden behind the wood)
Nymphaea lotus

Livestock:
Paracheirodon axelrodi (29 cardinal tetra)
Hemigrammus erythrozonus (14 glowlight tetra)
Corydoras paleatus (18 pepper cory)
Corydoras sterbai (1 sterbai cory)
Ancistrus sp. (1 brislenose plec)
Nannostomus marginatus (25 pencilfish this is an estimate, I don't know how many fry I have :))
MTS (I have no idea how many, but significantly less after the substrate change)

Photo is not badly lit, the tank is intentionally much darker on one side.

END OF ENTRIES,,,,Please slowly scroll up as you review the 7 awesome entries and then cast your vote in the poll at the top of the topic.

GOOD LUCK TO ALL ENTRANTS!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back