Vote now!..May 2020 Tank of the Month Contest ( 30 US gallons and larger)

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Vote for May 2020 Tank of the Month (30 US gallons and larger)

• Ben2522

Votes: 14 12.3%
  • Salty&OnionN

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • NCaquatics

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • JuiceBox52

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • FishkeeperLinz

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Retire Viking

Votes: 29 25.4%
  • Meg0000

Votes: 17 14.9%
  • Barry Tetra

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • communityfluvalroma

Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishmanic

TFF Contest Czar
Staff member
Global Moderator ⚒️
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
PLEASE VOTE! ...... POLL CLOSED!
vote-totm.png

We have 9 great entries for Fishforums' May 2020 Tank of the Month contest featuring tanks sized at 30 US gallons and larger. View all the tanks and descriptions below and then go to top of page and click on your choice for TOTM

It’s best to view these awesome tanks on a computer screen or a tablet instead of a small phone screen.

Winner will be awarded a neat "Tank of the Month Winner" banner in his profile area and will be featured in a "TOTM Winner" thread for all to see and to comment on.

Please DO NOT post any comments about specific tanks in this thread...such posts will promptly be deleted. This thread will be cleaned up occasionally for best readability.

Please Note:
Any attempt to influence competition results, other than by casting your allocated vote, is not permitted and may result in your entry being removed and / or further action being taken.

Poll will close on May 14 at 4 PM EST. We at fishforums.net thank you for your participation.

Last edited:
totm.jpg

Hi, pretty new here but found the forum very valuable. Thanks to everyone and especially Juicebox 56, Byron, Colin T, Seangee and Metalhead88.
Tank size: 240L (about 63g) 120cm Long, 40 wide and 73 height
Age of setup: 2 months old
Fish stocking: Currently has 11 tiger barbs, 1 orange platy. Soon to have 6 Yo-Yo Loach and another school of 10 different colour barb.
Plants: Got 4 moss balls, a java fern on wood base, 4 Wysteria stem plants. Some brown algae on substrate but isn't growing out of control so will leave it. Gives it some vintage lol.
Substrate: Fine light grey gravel.
Water Parameters: Temp 24.5 deg C. Going through a cycle after adding more barbs. Ammonia 0.1 Nitrite 1ppm, nitrate 20ppm. 50% Water change due tomorrow. PH about 6.6, GH 6.
Ferts Used, No fertiliser used for the plants. They took a while to start growing but now are beginning to grow visibly daily.
Lighting:
Overhead LED full spectrum light. Not sure on lumens or more technical info. On for 5 hours in the morning. Off for 4 hours and then on for another 4 hours on a timer. Switched out the tank basic fluorescent light as it brought too much heat and couldn't keep the temp steady.
Filtration type: Betta 2000 canister filter with carbon. Turns the tank over 8 times per hour ish. Water crystal clear from day one. have a second small internal filter on the other end of the tank to avoid a filtration dead spot also adds current to the top. This is also at the top left so it takes top water off where as the canister filter intake is bottom right.
Aeration: Spray bar from the canister filter directly in the middle back providing water agitation and aeration. Internal filter top left providing aeration
Heat: Non branded 300w on the right near filter intake and a 100w Fluval on the left. The heaters aren't thermometers accurate. They heat the tank to 1 degrees over what I set them at. The separate digital thermometer is accurate so I set the heaters 1 degree under what I want the tank to be.
Tank maintenance procedures: Weekly water change, shaking of plants weekly to dislodge any weak plant. Then removing weak plant.
Feeding schedules:
Feeding Probiotic Tropical granules NT Labs, 2-3 times per day. The tigers don't let anything settle at the bottom of the tank. Tetra tablets on the odd occasion for a change and additional vitamin. Plan to feed some live on a weekly basis once fully stocked.
Testing: Using API master test kit. Also have Ammonia Alert indicator in the tank and PH alert. Also have a temperature thermometer.
Cheers
Ben

Last edited by a moderator:
9029B9BB-E3E5-4CCE-8AAD-182DD2D8D6C4.jpeg

This is my 33 gallon tank that has been set up since 29th February this year and has been home to a pair of convict cichlids and a nice group of livebearers, mollies, guppies, swordtails and platies, and now without the pair of convicts is a perfect community tank with planned stocking of one dwarf gourami and twelve kuhli loaches. For current stocking is 4 swordtails, 3 platies and mollies, 4 guppies, 1 pleco, 6 white clouds as dithers, couple of cherry shrimp, 1 vampire shrimp and 2 amano shrimp.
For filtration I use an unbranded sponge filter (I use it also for aeration) for tanks up to 60 gallons as I tend to overstock and overfilter and as for lighting I use NICREW 11 watt light and have no heater yet.
For substrate I use natural sand and will be adding more of it soon to plant my plants. My plants are: enchidorus bleheri, anubias, limnophila sessiliflora, java fern anacharis, one plant that I don't know and cryptocoryne of some kind (I think). Will be attaching java fern and anubias to piece of driftwood and will be adding and attaching my anubias heterophylla to a piece of driftwood as well to make more space for some additional plants and maple leaves as leaf litter for my future kuhli loaches.
Since my tank is still uncycled due to adding the new sponge filter, I will be doing water changes every two days and then will be doing weekly water changes twice per week due to overstocking and removing dead pieces of anacharis.
I'm using Tetra's PlantaMin liquid fertilisers for all of my plants and I'm also using Tropica's Nutrition Capsules for my enchidorus and I'm feeding my fish wide range of foods, Fluval's Bug Bites, Tetra's Fun Tips as a treat, freeze-dried and frozen blood worms, frozen cyclops, dapnia and blackworms (which are all only in my freezer but will be going to get some more), veggies: cucumber, potatos, carrots, cauliflower and broccoli, de-shelled peas and zucchini and pellets for tropical fish and unbranded flakes once per two days.
For testing I use Tetra's Test 6 in One and API's ammonia test strips and I have thermometer for checking tanks temperature.

Additional:

I'm using mesh as my lid as I don't have a normal lid yet stuck with some masking tape (seems to be working for now) and I also made yesterday DIY out of a carton box (practically a scrap) which seems to be holding the weight of lights.

20200502_233201.jpg

*new scape updated, one filter broke down thanks to salvinia getting into the motor. Changed up some plants.

Phew, day and night make totally different looks for photos. Second photo validating my entry, terrible glare thanks to bright livingroom.

Okay, so my tank is a 46 gallon bowfront, planted community.
Parameters are 0ppm ammonia, 0ppm nitrite, 20 ppm nitrate, pH 7.5.

Fish: Neon tetras, black neon tetras, platies, dwarf gourami, farlowella twig cats, corydoras aeneus, corydoras weitzmani, corydoras ambiacus, pangio loaches (seminica, oblonga, superba, and doriae).

Inverts: Bamboo shrimp, nerite snail, ramshorn snails, bladder snails.

Plants: Amazon swords, crypts, java fern, salvinia, anacharis

Filtration: Aquaclear 70, Aquaclear 50.

Heater: Eheim Jager 150w set to 76F

Water changes 25% weekly, 50% monthly.

Feeding: Omega One flakes, algae wafers, Wardley Shrimp Pellets, Bug Bites, frozen mysis/brine shrimp, steamed veggies.

Fertilizer: Seachem Flourish 1x week day after water change, API Root Tabs for the swords and crypts as needed.

Dechlorinator: Seachem Prime.

Lighting: Aqueon Full Spectrum T8 Bulb, AquaGlo T8 Bulb.

20200430_222844.jpg

This is my 55 gallon aquarium riverscape.
It is 3 years old. Sorry the pic is a little bit blurry, my camera broke.

It is my favorite tank :)
Current stocking is:
x6 rummynose tetras
X5 otocinclus
X1 ivory mystery snail
X1 striped nerite snail.
Plants are:
Java moss
Cryptocorne wenditii
Anubias barteri
Java fern
Micro sword
Echinodorus parviflorus

No fertilizers at this point in time.

Substrate: play sand
Other decor: driftwood and river stones

I feed once a day

60% water changes every 10ish days

I'm planning an overhaul of this tank. :rofl:
IMG_20200501_144039.jpg

200ltr Fluval - I forget which model.

Age: 13+ years, but it hasn't been set up all that time. Current set up is about 2 years old.

Inhabitants:.
19 Neon Tetras;
2 Electric Blue Rams;
1 Bristlenosed Plec

Substrate:
Harlequin Gravel. Will be replacing this with sand, once I get somewhere to temporarily house the fish.
Indian Almond Leaves

Plants;
Amazon Swords
Cabomba (I think - not good with plants)
Elodea Densa (floating)
More ordered.

Filter;
Ancient Fluval 305 external

Lights;
Two T8 tubes fitted into the hood.

Ferts;
None, but I do have some plants root tabs on order.

Water Chemistry:
PH: 6.8
GH: 4°
KH: 2°

Water Quality:
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 5ppm

Water change schedule:. 10% every day. Temp:. 27°C (yeah, I know, a bit too warm for the neons)

I feed once a day and they get a mixture of flakes, daphnia, bloodworm, algae wafers, and veggies.

GEDC1294.JPG
This is my Sunken Forest Themed Tank. If you look close you will notice I have a sunken forest background. I use Anacharis to form an arch over the center to give my tetras shade. It also gives the impression of a gateway leading into the the dark sunken forest.
It is a 55 gallon tank that I purchased in 1994 from Petsmart (make unknown)
Forest Dwellers include
13 Glow Light Tetra
6 Neon Tetra
4 Ember Tetra
1 Red Eye Tetra
7 Nerite Snails
Substrate is gravel
Filter system is an Under Gravel Filter
Lighting is two under hood T-8 plant lights set to turn on at 10am and off at 9pm with an additional room light that turns off at 10pm to give a sunrise and sunset effect for the fish. I use light timers to achieve this.
Plants
Java Fern
African Water Ferns
Amazon Sword
Crested Java Fern
Anacharis
Whale Tale
Moss Balls
I use Flourish Comprehensive at 1/2 dosage a day after water changes and also use Flourish plant taps
Water changes are once a week at 50%
I use RO water to soften my water
Feeding is twice a day but at a reduced amount to insure most of the food is eaten
Food
Omega One (40%)
Bug Bites (40%)
Wardley Tropical flakes (10%)
Hikari Micro PELLETS (10%)
Tank was cycled using the planted/silent method
Aquarium Heater (2 )
Aqueon TA300H 300W
Nuo Chong H-200 300W
Digital Thermometer (Nuo Chong)
The aquarium has been running for almost a year and is my first tank with live plants after many years of plastic. Current Sunken Forest theme was set up last month but like most peoples' tanks it is still a work in progress.I would like to thank my fellow forum members for the knowledge they have shared with me, I would list them but there are too many,
GEDC1283.JPG
GEDC1294.JPG

158841745250426174838.jpg

This is my first "big" tank, it is a used tank I got one month ago . It is cloudy because I moved things yesterday. I hope you like it!
Age of setup: one month
Size: 50 gallon (4f)
filtration: fluval c4 hang on the back
Tank maintenance: I do a 20% water change once a week and I removed dead or damaged leaves if there are.
Feeding: Fluval bug bites in alternance with nutrafin flake food once a day and bloodworm once a week.
Stocking : 6 hengeli rasboras (will get more), 3 pearl gourami and 6 bronze corydoras, 1 zebra nerite snail
Plants: vallisneria, hydroctyle leucocephala, anubias, java fern, hyprophila, cryptocoryne, and amazon frogbit. (will get more soon!)
Ferts: 6 ml of seachem flourish (1ml everyday exept when water change)
Substrate: carib sea sand and carib sea peace gravel behind the rocks with seachem root tabs
water temperature: 26° celcius

C4CD448A-9D21-4C3F-A9B5-75FD019B4FBF.jpeg
View attachment 102995
This is ‘Pizza’s 50 Gals tank’ bought for my red female discus named Pizza which is the boss of this tank, the stocking is a bit overstocked since I cant find any new tank for my silver dollars

Stocking: 3 Discus, 1 Angelfish, 2 Silver dollars, 2 small tinfoil barbs 2 Dusky Nerites.

Plants: Anacharis, Java fern, Guppy grasses, Anubias.

Substrate: River+play sand

Tank maintenance: 75% water changes every week

Feeding: Boiled Pea, Tetra Bits and Blood worms once a month

Water: Ammonia: 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate: about 4-7. GH: 3 KH: 3

Heating: None, too hot 33 C

Filter: Not sure, cant remember

Thanks for reading :)

3rd May 2020.jpg

Tank Description

Fluval Roma 240l - L 120cm x D 40cm x H 55cm

Age of Setup

The tank is only 13 days old. I am currently carrying out a silent/planted cycle.

Fish Stocking

There are currently no fish in the tank.

Water Parameters

The water parameters as of today are:

pH: 7.6
High Range pH: 8.0
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0.25
Nitrate: 20

I am using the API Freshwater Master Test Kit to test the water parameters.

Plant Stocking

All of the plants in the photos are live plants. I currently have:

Java Moss on Half Coconut
2x Water Sprite
2x Anacharis
Dwarf Hairgrass
Broad Leaf
Eriocaulon Cinereum
Juncus Repens
Moneywort

Fertiliser

I am using Easy Life Profito. My current dosage is 10ml per 100 litres weekly.

Filtration Type

Fluval 306 External Filter which includes biomax, foam pads and carbon bags.

Lighting

Fluval 6500k LED Strip Light. I am currently leaving the light on for 8 hours a day, to ensure my plants experience good growth to assist with the cycle.

Heater

Fluval M300 Heater. The heater is currently set at 26C.

Tank Maintenance Procedure

As I am 13 days into my cycle, my maintenance procedure is simply to test the water parameters every couple of days.

Substrate

30kg of Hugo Kamishi Black Glass Gravel
5kg of Hugo Kamishi Snow White Sand

Miscellaneous

Also in the tank I have:

Large piece of Driftwood
6kg of Black Lava Rock

Thank you for reading :fish:

END OF ENTRIES
Please scroll up as you review the 9 entries and then cast your vote in the poll at the top of the thread. Thanks for participating in Fishforums' Tank of the Month contest.

In mid may, we will start up our Pet of the Month contest. You may enter any pet that you have in your household except fish. Take a pic of your pet and be ready to enter our POTM contest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back