Vote Now - January 2022 Tank of the Month (17 - 30 gal)

Vote Now - January 2022 Tank of the Month

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Fishmanic

TFF Contest Czar
Staff member
Global Moderator ⚒️
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
Poll is now closed!
Tank of the Month
:big_boss:
PLEASE VOTE!
We have 6 awesome tanks entered in Fishforums' January 2022 Tank of the Month contest featuring tanks sized at 17 to 30 US gallons. View all the tanks and descriptions below and then go to poll at the top of this thread, click on your choice for TOTM, and then click the "Cast" button.

It’s best to view these awesome tanks on a computer screen or a tablet instead of a small phone screen.

Please Note:
Any attempt to influence competition results, other than by casting your allocated vote, is not permitted and may result in your entry being removed and / or further action being taken. This is a public poll so source of votes can be viewed.

Winner will be awarded a neat "Tank of the Month Winner" banner in his profile area and will be featured in a "TOTM Winner" thread for all to see and to comment on. Winner will also be added to our TOTM WALL OF FAME

This poll will end on January 15th at 4:00 PM ET (US)

Please DO NOT post any comments about specific tanks in this thread...such posts will promptly be deleted. This thread will be cleaned up occasionally for best readability.

Last edited:
here goes nothing!
IMG_4565.JPG

This is my 20g high tank that I started over 3 years ago. I was extremely unsuccessful with keeping the fish alive until 3 months ago. IDK what the problem was.

Anyway, here are the specs!

Stocking:
6 neon tetras
4 fancy guppies
4 cory catfish
3 red eye tetras
5 cherry barbs

Now I know that I should have more of each but I didn't know when I bought them.

PH 7
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 20ppm

Equipment:
Quiet flow 10
Eheim 100w heater

20% water change every week with a gravel cleaning every other week.
They are fed every other day. Flakes and brine shrimp.

I have big plans for this tank. I know theres a lot of plastic in it, but I plan on adding plants ASAP. I'm going for a heavily planted look and im going to change the substrate to play sand.

Anyway, I probably wont win but who knows!

2022 tank01.jpg

20 Gallon fry tank
Attempted bare bottom planted tank
There are about 35-40 cobra guppy fry and one older female (who I picked out from my last batch that I want to breed).

Temp: 79 (I also hang a specimen container inside of it with a few angelfish fry but took that out for the photo)
pH: 7.2
Nitrates: 5ppm
Nitrites: 0
Amonia: 0

Fed Aquarium Co-Op fry food twice a day.
I do a floor vacuum just about every day.
Water looks a little cloudy because I was just moving things back to where I wanted them for the photo (mainly the moss)
Backlit with changing color tub light.
Fluval aquasky top light.
Have some wood, dragon stone, bamboo cave.
Plants are java moss, 3 floating moss balls, 2 banana plants, water spangles, frogbit, fern

Last edited by a moderator:
b3.jpg

This is my black 29; it has been setup for 33 months so quite mature. It is a lousy picture but it is a nicer tank than the white 29.

Stocking includes some number of guppies (and tons of guppy frys); 3 swordtails; 1m 2f borelli (the male is in left by the swordtail); 1 super red bn (around 3 inch female full grown); 1 lemon bn rescued from the 40 (barely 1 inch which can be seen on the back matten filter); and a bunch of out going kuhli that love to play during the day and water changes; but hate being photographed.

Plants include a number of crypts including a nurii near the front that is doing well; some anubia including the obvious pinto; some small italia val on the right side; lots of hornworth; one huge aponogeton bolivianus. There is also a 2 year old bruce in front right that has grown a bit. Most of the plants are over 2 years old but the itlaia val was trans planted a few months ago and the pinto anubia is only around 18 months old. There is also a very large pothos in the back - you can just see the tip of it going up; actually there are two plants - one dark green and one green/white pattern. The guppies and swordtails are mostly not first generation but all are from the original added 2 1/2 years ago (the swordtails are actually a lot older since they came down with me in the car when i drove 1200 miles).
ph is around 7.0
gh 7 kh 3 nitrate runs around 10-15.
-
There is a big difference a new aquarium and one that has mature and one difference is a bit of algae here and there. Wish I took a better picture but this will have to do:

20211212_152921.jpg

This is my low tech planted 20 gallon. Ignore the weird reflection and the bad pic lol.
I've had this tank for a little over a year and half, the plants I don't remember some of them, I know there is anubias, lace Java fern and salvinia natans. There's a couple others, and one or two sword plants if some type in the back.
Inhabitants include: 8-10 neon tetras, 2 rescued glow light tetras, and 6 rescued zebra danios, which will soon be moving to a longer tank with more swimming room. There are also a couple cherry shrimp in there somewhere.
I got this tank for free, and the entire time I've had it, since the first day, I've been battling cyanobacteria, I had it almost under control when I left for vacation, we will see what's become of it when I get back!

I'm not sure what the lighting is, it's on for about 8 hours a day. I don't use fertilizer. The water temp is 78°f and it gets (almost) weekly 50-70% water changes :)
Enjoy

IMG_20220106_105735~4.jpg

Hello,

Please consider my 20 gallon freshwater tank YOUR favorite to win the January 2022 Tank of the Month contest !

Stocking:

Fish

10 x Pseudomugil furcatus
(Blue-eyed Forktail rainbow fish)
5 x Female & 5 x Male
These are the grandchildren of the first group I had.

7 x Tateurndina ocellicauda
(Peacock gudgeons)
4 x Female & 3 x Male

Snails

1 x Nerite
Auburn dotted with black diamond shapes; it has tripled in size since July!
1 x Assassin snail
? x Ramshorn snails
? x Malaysian Trumpet snails

It has been just recently that I've noticed an increase in the RamsHorn and Malaysian Trumpet snails so I need to feed less and up my water changes!!!

I've had both species of fish for over a year but just put everyone together this past July. From research I found out that both the Blue-eyes and Peacocks come from the same area of the world so I felt pretty good about putting them together in the same area of my tank.

I've been a bit uncomfortable about being overstocked so I try to keep a lot of fast growing plants in the tank. Up until recently I have had the following:

Plants

Anacharis
Hornwort (the delicate kind)
Anubius, 2 types
Java Fern
Amazon Sword
Octopus plant (?)
Camboba
Various delicate pretty-stems

About a week or so ago I found a new supplier and so after quarantine I added:

Jungle (?) Val
Hornwort (the bushier kind)
Dwarf Water Lily

For decorations I have used several types of found rocks that I have tested to make sure that they don't alter the tank chemistry. I also have a large chunk of rose quartz and a beautiful citrine point in this tank. I also have several pieces of wood that have been living in different tanks that I have owned over the past two or three years.

My plans for this tank consists of moving the fish to a bigger tank! I feel certain that I will keep the plants, rocks and wood pretty much the same but I'm planning on almost doubling the water capacity. The only major thing I will be doing besides the water will be substrate. I do not think I will switch to sand mainly because the Peacocks are skittish and I don't want to be fumbling around the bottom of the tank because that's where they like to hang out. I plan to upgrade to a darker substrate, one that is better suited for plants and one that will make my fish stand out!

Products I use:

Prime water treatment

Hikari first bites (to grow out the Blue-eye fry)
Hikari Micropellets
Frozen Daphnia
Frozen Bloodworms
Bug Bites (Fluval?

Thanks for looking 😊

64012C4B-3BCF-4AAF-842C-085A4C7FB954.jpeg

Here is my freshwater 30 gallon.
I was debating whether or not to join this TOTM because I’m so unhappy with the way it looks, but I decided that I would join to share my future plans as well as what it looks like now.
Current stocking:
One female red wagtail platy (Merida)
One fancy goldfish (Pez, from before I knew they need bigger)
One black racer nerite snail (Whiplash)
Planned stocking:
One female white calico redtail platy (Tula)
One female bumblebee platy (Jazz)
2-3 of their female fry
One Tiger nerite (Felix)
Jazz and Tula are currently in quarantine. I’m planning to add them in the next week or so, once I figure out a weird ammonia spike I’m having in the main tank. The fry will get eaten if I add them now, so I’m waiting until they’re bigger.
Parameters:
Chlorine: 0 ppm
pH: 8
Ammonia: currently around .10 ppm, working on lowering it ASAP
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 20 ppm
Equipment:
Whisper 50 carbon filter. Gets rinsed in tank water once a month.
Aqueon pro 80W heater
Not sure on lighting
Barrel decoration with bubbler
Care:
I do my best to do a 20-30% water change once a week. I dechlorinate the water with Tetra Aquasafe Plus (planning on switching to Seachem Prime once this bottle is gone). I vacuum the substrate and rinse the filter media as well as clear the filter intake (I know it’s got stuff on it in the picture, but it’s just duckweed).
These two get fed once a day with bug bites and Tropical Flakes, with a fast day on Saturday’s. They also occasionally get baby brine shrimp if I have extra when I’m feeding my fry.
Plans:
My mom bought this tank secondhand last year for our three goldfish who were outside in a trough that freezes solid during the winter. Her thought was that they would go back outside once the weather was warm enough. I said I would take care of them, and now it’s a full fledged hobby :p.
The tank came with all of the decorations and substrate. I liked it at first, but after seeing all of the beautiful planted tanks on here, I started looking at the blue plant with more and more disgust. One of my New Year resolutions is to figure out how to re-scape this tank without totally destroying the ecosystem. My thought is, maybe put the fish in my 10g “emergency” tank once I gather all the supplies, save some of the tank water in a bucket, and just completely tear it down. I know I would be slightly overstocking my 10g, but it would only be temporary.
I would want either sand or Fluvel substrate, with some large leafy plants, moss balls, and driftwood.

I know I probably won’t win, just by looking at the other entries, but I hope soon I’ll be able to enter a beautiful planted tank as well!

End of Entries:
Please scroll up slowly as your review the 7 awesome entries, select your favorite, and then click the "cast" button.
Thanks for participating in our Tank of the Month Contest.

We will begin accepting entries for our very popular Pet of the Month contest in mid January. You may enter any pet in your household except fish.

Last edited:
upcoming TOTM schedule
February: tanks sized at 31 gallons and larger
March: tanks sized at 16 gallons and smaller
April: tanks sized at 17 to 30 gallons

Gaeme M has been disqualified due to his tank being over 30 gallons. Anyone who voted for Graeme M should change your vote to your next favorite tank. Just click on "change vote" in the poll, then select your favorite, and click "cast."

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back