Staff member
Global Moderator ⚒️
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
POLL IS NOW CLOSED
Pet of the Month
:big_boss:
PLEASE VOTE NOW
We have 9 awesome pets entered into the January 2022 Pet of the Month Contest. View all the pets and descriptions below and then go to top of page and click on your choice for POTM and then click the "cast" button.

Please DO NOT post any comments about any specific pet in this thread...such posts will promptly be deleted.

Please Note:
Any attempt to influence competition results, other than by casting your allocated vote, is not permitted and may result in your entry being removed and / or further action being taken. This is a public poll - source of all votes can be viewed.

You are allowed to change your vote if you wish.

Poll will close on January 30th at 12:30 PM ET (US).
Thread will periodically be cleaned up for readability.
We at fishforums.net thank you for your participation

Last edited:
203520DC-DCC8-4821-A86C-00AFFA5DA26B.jpeg

This is one of my 2 Desert Tortoises. This tortoise, like my last entry, has or had a medical history. First off, his name is Lucky. When we got him, he was no bigger than a quarter. To purchase Desert Tortoises, the breeder must have a certified breeding certificate or a certificate to prove that these tortoises were either rescued from the illegal reptile trade or captive-bred. So, they are hard to find. This person accidentally bred captive-bred tortoises. So, 2 years after we got them, Lucky, this tortoise, got constipated. In the wild, when tortoises don't have enough calcium, or whenever they get the option, they will eat white rocks, which is calcium. So, he decided to eat white mineral, which was not calcium and got stuck in his gut. He was constipated for over a month when we decided to put a direct feeding tube into his throat, which required surgery. He had that in him for over 4 months. Keep in mind, he is constipated and only pooped once a week, if that. So, we are giving him all these meds, and it's not working. You can't easily reach the stomach of a tortoise, obviously. It goes on like this for 10 more months. This is the longest time a tortoise has survived being constipated in the vet's career of 20 years. So, he was constipated for over a year. Lucky lives up to his namesake!

Lucky is housed in an indoor wood cage with rough dimensions of 4'x3'x1' with a mesh lid. It may sound cruel, but this is only when they are sleeping. They are taken outside every single day to multiple areas - I built a portable 10'x10' plywood corral with chicken wire over it, they have a small hill with native plants to eat, they are really living the dream! It is about that time that they are going to sleep for quite a bit of time, and we are putting them in hibernation this weekend. I'm lucky that POTM was this week! He is pictured below smiling after eating some tortoise chow

Screenshot 2022-01-14 10.46.42 PM.png

This is Kona (Cho Chi) my Pitbull bully. we brought her back from Victoria, Canada 6 years ago. She is a proud mother of 8 rascals and loves walks in the park. Recently we suffered the loss of her pal Bella (15yr old mixed breed pit, huskie, gindo) so lately she's been a little down but still finds happiness in eating the strangest treats, tomatoes! one of my favorite tricks of hers is Snoring, yep snoring. She can snore on cue.

This is what I get for following the rules!! she couldn't help but EAT the sign I made to enter!! :rofl: 😂

Last edited by a moderator:
20220112_185057.jpg

Here is Iti Whetu ( Little Star ) she is now 20 years old. This photo was taken just last week when she won a fight with a Border Terrier dog, so she is naturally wired. She features here regularly on my threads. By the way, she was extremely disappointed she lost this competition to a praying mantis last time

A37E29CD-D6EC-4840-8EB4-3A94395316C1.png

Star of her own show is full pedigree "Daisy" the Shih Tzu she is 15 months old (black and white) pride and joy of the wife and pretty much melts the hearts of anybody that meets her, very soft and affectionate nature.
Of course her two older friends Beau 12years old (Black) and Porscha 7years old (grey marled) are both mongrels, likeable mixes and like to share her stage and looking for your attentions too.

F05DFE4E-96EA-47C1-9423-AECAF7BE98ED.jpeg

Here is my 13 year old man, Domino.
Backstory:
When my I was little, my grandma got a puppy. The story goes that when I was two, I named him Domino because I had just learned about dominos 😄. In 2014, my grandma and grandpa split and my grandma moved to Florida, leaving Domino with my grandpa. My grandpa didn’t really want him at first, but he kept him because he was my grandmas dog. Over time, he grew to love Domino, and Domino adored him. However, my grandpa didn’t have much money, and didn’t know how to properly take care of a dog. When Domino barked at strangers, instead of teaching him not to bark, he would yell and put him outside, sometimes for hours. He bought the cheapest food you could buy at Walmart, and rarely took him to the vet even when something was wrong. Domino never got a bath or a haircut except when my mom or uncle paid for it and took him, so he always was super matted, with heavy dreadlocks hanging off of his body. One time, my grandpa tried to cut his fur by himself and accidentally cut the tip of Dominos ear off 😩. My mom rushed over and took him to the vet, which she and my uncle paid for.
Despite all of this, Domino loved my grandpa. In 2016, my grandpa was diagnosed with cancer. He moved to a small apartment, where there was only one window high in the wall in the room where Domino stayed. He didn’t think of leaving a light on for him, so he would be in the dark all day while grandpa was at an appointment or the hospital.
In 2018, grandpa lost his battle with cancer. My dad was very skeptical about taking in Domino, but my mom couldn’t bear to see her dads dog go to a shelter, where he likely wouldn’t have been adopted because of his age. He came home September 15th, 2018.
Care:
He gets taken outside 4 time a day every 4 hours, because he’s getting old and can’t hold it as long anymore.
He gets Authority grain free dry kibble in the morning and evening, and Nulo wet food at lunch and dinner.
He gets a bath and a haircut roughly every 4-5 months or so, with oatmeal shampoo to keep his skin from getting dry.
He gets chronic ear infections regularly, because of the crappy food grandpa fed him, and the non-existent vet visits didn’t help either. To help with this, I give him ear drops for 7 days whenever I see an infection start, then wipe out his ears with cotton. He also is on grain free, much better quality food and that seems to help as well.
Other info:
Domino loves to look out the windows. He’ll jump up and put his paws on the sills and just look out at the back or front yard, barking furiously at cars or passing people.
He loves to sleep in an old beanbag chair that we got from my grandma before she moved. We have it by the fireplace, and he’ll snooze in it for hours if nothing disturbs him.
He’s scared of men, especially big/tall ones. This is probably PTSD from my grandpa yelling at him all the time. He never hit him or got violent, but his demeanor would have been enough to scare Domino. If you keep your hands up and ignore him for a while though, he’ll calm down and be the sweetest dog you’ve ever met.
I’m his alpha. He always has to be where I am, doing whatever I’m doing. It gets a little annoying sometimes (especially if I’m doing water changes!) but I wouldn’t trade him for the world. He’s my boy, my pupperioni, my doggo. I will never be the same once he passes away. I love him so much, and I’m glad I get to spoil him more than he’s ever been spoiled before.
I hope you love him as much as I do!

reps3.jpg

Name: Samurai (leatherback zero morph bearded dragon - the one in the front in the second pic)

Best buds with Ninja, the other bearded dragon

Samurai does live with his buddy, but they've grown up together and are watched for any aggression and he always seems pretty content with having his friend with him.

He lives off of dubia roaches and veggies, as well as an occasional treat of either mealworms, superworms, or wax worms.

He was adopted on July 3rd 2021 at a repticon.

20220115_235717.jpg

One of my Halloween Vampire Crabs (Geosesarma bicolor). This one is named Vlad. I have three and they are housed in a 10 gallon with 60% land and 40% water. I have had them a couple months, and Vlad molted about a month ago. I really fell in love with these guys when I saw them at Fishtoberfest, a small fish fair a few month back. I won a gift card at the same place (from a raffle), and had my plans set from there.

These guys are semi aquatic, they go into the water to occasionally eat and to molt their shells. They prefer the land over the water. They require high humidity, over 70% but I keep mine around 90%. They are omnivores and eat decaying plant matter and meaty foods. I feed my guys fish flake, pellet, assorted veggies, and blood worms. They are nocturnal usually, but I have convinced mine to come out in the daytime by feeding them in the day hours.

PXL_20211009_235716333.jpg

This is Tommi, we adopted him two years ago when he was 7 since I wanted to adopt an older cat instead of a kitten as everyone adopts younger cats. He's also bowlegged! It severely limits his mobility compared to a regular cat. Sometimes he hits his face jumping off low couches or falls trying to jump up, plus he has a weird limp because of it. The fun bonus is that he has high shoulders like a big cat, so it looks like I have a muscular predator skulking around. And he sleeps in really weird positions too.

He's got a pretty sensitive stomach when it comes to kibble, so he only eats Orijen and Acana. Otherwise he's a fiend for wet canned catfish and loves avocado, to the point of acting like a dog to get it. He gets supervised time outside, though he's desperate to go outside 24/7. He doesn't care about rain and will sit in a torrential downpour if it means being outdoors, plus he enjoys playing in the snow!

Periwinkle (Wink)
238C61E6-595F-49A1-AFFD-316C564747E6.png

This is my male parakeet, Periwinkle. We call him Wink for short. I have had him for 2 years. My sisters wanted a parakeet, so I picked him out from our local PetSmart (ack, I know). My sisters got bored of him, which worked out because I adore him! So now he’s mine. He is the sweetest, gentlest lil guy. He is very tame, content to sit on my finger and chirp at me or sit on my shoulder and nibble my ear. He also loves to sit in my big spider plant!

Wink eats Lafeber Parakeet Pellets daily, millet once a week, and we are introducing him to veggies (he is still kind of hesitant)
He doesn’t get his wings trimmed anymore, as he is tame enough that he is safe to have out without worrying he will hurt himself trying to get away. I am hoping to get or build him a bigger cage and get him a friend soon!

Wink knows how to “Step Up” onto my finger. Some parakeets learn to speak, but Wink hasn’t. I am not sure if he ever will, but I do know that I loooove him!

Last edited:
Just 3 votes separate the top 2 contenders. If you haven't yet voted, please VOTE NOW! Voting period ends in less than 2 days.

Meanwhile, we are now accepting entries in our February Tank of the Month contest which is featuring tanks sized at 31 US gallons and larger. If you have a tank of that size, we hope you enter the contest. Click below to view the entry thread.

Just one day left for voting. Winner to be announced on Sunday. If you haven't yet voted, please vote now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back