Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishmanic

TFF Contest Czar
Staff member
Global Moderator ⚒️
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
We have 5 worthy entrants this month. View all the tanks and descriptions below and then go to top of page and click on your choice for TOTM

It’s best to view these awesome tanks on a computer screen or a tablet instead of a small phone screen.

Please DO NOT post any comments in this thread...any posts will promptly be deleted

Poll will close on Tuesday April 23rd at 11:55 pm.
We thank you for your participation.

Last edited:
image.jpeg

We have a 10 gallon tank with 2 Micky Mouse Platys named Ricky & Fred, 2 Dalmation Mollys named Ebony & Ivory and 1 Dwarf Suckermouth Catfish name Tootsie Pop.

The lighting is LED that has both white and blue lights and the filtration system is a Penguin 75 Bio-Wheel Power Filter.

We don't have live plants but the fish don't seem to mind!

We feed twice daily and partial water changes with a good vacuum monthly..

Last edited:
Hi everyone! Been a lurker for a while, and finally decided to take the plunge today and sign up. So here's my tank!

Fair warning: Some of you might rage at the overstocking. I know, but I messed up and had to raise my balloon molly's first offspring, and then my normal molly's first offspring. Read on, and you'll see it is getting resolved before the weekend.

tByez42.jpg

Size: 55 gallon
Water parameters: 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 40 nitrate*, pH: 8.2**, temp: 76
Notes:
* - Nitrates are due to overstocking of mollies. I kept my first big group of babies, and due to illness haven't made it to my LFS to drop them off. But I plan on doing so tomorrow or Friday.
** - Lowered from above 8.6 (wouldn't even read on the test kit) to 8.2 with driftwood. I refuse to use chemicals because of fluctuations, and my brood seem perfectly okay with this now as it's steady.
Tank Maintenance: Due to the nitrates, my preferred option is a 40% change weekly. But beginning of last month I fell and broke my tailbone, so even with my DIY water changer I made (aka a strong pump with a lot of tubing from Lowe's attached), it's been spotty. I just got my routine starting back up, and hope for some relief after I drop off the mollies.
Substrate: About 50% CaribSea Tahitian Moon Gravel (same size as sand, without the mess), with some Seachem Flourite Black for the plants, and about 10 pounds of black gravel just so I wasn't too afraid to clean the substrate and lose it all. This mix has worked great - the kuhlis can dig deep into the sand, and the cories have beautiful barbels.
Filters: 1 Marineland Penguin 350, 1 Marineland Penguin 150, 1 sponge filter. Penguins have Seachem Matrix Bio Media in some parts, and Seachem Purigen in others along with the regular filter pads that Marineland sells.
Live plants: Some. I've had them for ages and forget what they even are. No CO2 because I hate feeling like I'm cooking up some rotten bread under my fishtank, and I'm terrified of the CO2 tanks themselves.
Feeding schedules: Once a day (though will go to twice once mollies are mostly gone). 5 days a week, a mix of flakes, shrimp pellets and algae pellets. One day a week blood worms and a few flakes. One day a week I skip. I try to toss in some peas and blanched veggies every other week or so when I think about it.

Current fish stocking:
  • 3 Balloon mollies (offspring of a single one I bought when I first got my tank 2 years ago)
  • 13 regular mollies (offspring of one of the mollies)
  • 1 tiny, grey male guppy (offspring of an adult guppy I won at my county fair 2 years ago)
  • 1 Bolivian ram
  • 5 rummynose tetras
  • 9 kuhlis: 6 regular solid colored (2-3" each), and 3 striped (at least 4" each)
  • 7 julii corycats
  • 3 solid color nerite snails
  • 1 zebra nerite snail
Longterm Plan:
  1. Remove unnecessary/unwanted individuals: I'd like to bring 11 of the normal mollies to my LFS and keep two females: the mother of the other 12, and one of the offspring who is deformed and won't grow but half the size she should (and has a slightly bent spine). I don't want her bullied in the store, or culled. I also want to drop off the solid colored nerites as they're all egg layers and I knew what was in store when I got them, but my god, I can't handle any more eggs.
  2. Set up a 'slow moving' tank. I'm getting a 30g from someone, and will be putting the balloon mollies, the ram, the tetras, the corycats and the zebra nerite in it. Then I'd like to add one single angelfish as a focal point to it and a mystery snail.
  3. In my 55, have the 2 regular mollies, the guppy and the 9 kuhli loaches. Eventually would like to add a clown pleco, 2 yoyo loaches, and perhaps a large gourami. If the latter happens then my guppy would be rehomed - maybe a 5 gallon with a betta? I'm sure I can find room for a 5 gallon... somewhere... But eventually maybe get some fish that will be at the top of the tank, but not sure what yet.
  4. New plants. I'd like to get mature Amazon Swords for the back, change out the driftwood to be something more like roots or branches, and add java moss to the wood. Then maybe one day add some carpet plant between two mats, in hopes the loaches won't destroy them.
So. That's my tank, and my plans. Who knows how they'll change in the future - I just know I never want to stop changing my tank around! Decided to teach myself the hobby back in 2017, and haven't stopped since, so we'll see what 2019 brings. (And now my edits are definitely stopping!)

Last edited:
I know I'm a new member but my tanks not ready plan to spend a alot this weekend as it needs a light at the moment I've got the light from another tank balancing on top, as well as sand and plants which I'm buying at the same time but I'll post it for you all to see

14nmnhz.jpg

Size:
Fluval Osaka 155 litres
unknown tank, was cycled with a huge cichlid in it when I got it but I've had it running for 8 weeks now
Water parameters:
0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 30 nitrate, pH: 7.6, temp: 26 degrees center grade
Tank Maintenance:
I do 25% water change every week with a 50% on the fourth week filter scrubs in changed tank water every two weeks. Water tested weekly on strips and four weekly with kit
Substrate:
Gravel mixture from 3mm to 10mm this is only temporary as sand will be added this week. Substrate in 1 inch deep with a mound up to the filter (02 stops working after 2 inches of water
Filters:
Filter was given to me with the tank its a juwel filter not sure on which one has 1 bio pad 1 ammonia pad and 2 carbon pads, I know I need a cover as some of my fish like to hide in there. This will be one of 2 filters I'm going to get a larger hand on the edge filter soon
Live plants:
None till this weekend
Feeding schedules:
Twice daily morning is pellets and flakes and in the afternoon blood worms
Current fish stocking:
1 spotted pleco
1 albino red tail
1 rabbit snail
2 plattys
2 swordtails
5 mollies
1 angel fish
Lighting.
Is from my fluval flex tank going to buy a fluval eco Bright led this weekend

I also have a 54l Fluval flex tank which is my next project its was my starter tank but I'm going to turn it into a reef tank once this tanks done .. The wife wont let me start 2 tanks at the same time lol

Last edited:
...click on pictures to enlarge....
0717D004-DD41-4257-97F9-F9F5DE671D11.jpeg

My tanks not reached the end target yet, but I’ll enter anyway.

This is my 10 gallon guppy tank it’s been set up for 3 months. The tank has an overhead light, that changes to blue for night time view. Stays on for around 8-10 hours per day.

Tank dimensions - 51.3 x 26 x 32.8cm (L x W x H)

They wouldn’t keep still for this photograph, apologies!

Water parameters

Nitrates: 10
Nitrites: 0
Ammonia: 0
PH: 7.2
GH: 11
KH: 7.2
Cl2: 0
Temperature: 78F

Tank maintenance

50/75% weekly water changes including gravel vaccum

Filtration

Fluval U1
Media is cleaned every 2 weeks

Live stock

5 male guppies

Feeding schedules

Once daily - mainly flakes and dried blood worms every so often

Live Plants

Echinodorus Bleheri x 4
Echinodorus Harbii

Substrate

Aquarium gravel

Future plans

Awaiting replacement delivery of a digital heater that’s fully submersible (hence the current low water line)

Add another few guppies

To add another box of sparkly/glitter aquarium gravel tonight #guilty.

I’ve made sure this hasn’t reflected on the light in the photo.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like horticulture. i raise and propagate swords primarily. But i like mosses. some platys and a dwarf gourami in there.

20 g hex

5 platy

1 dwarf gourami

1 rubber lip pleco

Pleco gets cucumber daily, other fish get fed shrimp/ peas / flakes 4-5 times a week.

java moss, 3 types of annubias, cut marimo moss, amazon swords, assorted woods i have boiled (all the tannins go into my black water tank.)

0 ammonia

7.0 -ph

weekly water changes of 30-50 percent .

plants have been raised since juveniles.

biological filtration, sponge filter and hob filter stuffed with media

Thanks for the chance
..............click on pictures to enlarge.....

Attachments

• 0-19.jpg
    0-19.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 332
  • 0-21.jpg
    0-21.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 362
Last edited by a moderator:
end of entries
scroll slowly up to top of page as you review entries and then cast your vote....

Thanks for participating in the totm contest.

Please do not post any comments in this voting thread. Any posts will be promptly deleted.

To you newbies, consider entering your tank in next month's contest.. you just might win tank of the month and get a neat TOTM banner in your avatar area.

For those of you who entered this contest: if you don’t win, don’t feel bad... just fine tune your tank and enter again in future months to show off your improvements.

Last edited:
Just a few days left to cast your vote. Please vote now for April TOTM.

we have a fairly close race here...your vote counts..if you haven't yet cast your vote, please vote now.. just 3 days left

Only 41 votes so far? Certainly we have many hundreds of members on this site. Let's break the record for most votes ever in the TOTM contest....if you haven't yet voted, VOTE NOW.

We have 49 votes so far with 10 hrs left to vote. If you haven’t voted yet, please vote now. Let’s get the total votes to go over 50 votes.

We have a winner of Tropical Fish Forums April Tank of the Month Contest. And the winner is....Guppylover3x. Click on this link to see the winner's entry or to congratulate her on her win.

http://www.fishforums.net/threads/april-tank-of-the-month-contest-winner.451999/

We had a great turnout for voting this month--55 votes! Look for the next TOTM contest to start at the beginning of May. For those who didn't win this month, consider fine tuning your tank and then enter your tank again in a future month.

Winners of TOTM have to wait 3 months before entering another tank in a future TOTM contest.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back