• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

dascrow

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
fishforums-toftm.jpg

Let the voting begin for the November 2016 FishForums.net Tank of the Month! We are going to leave the poll open until November 30th @ 11:59PM EST. We're off to a good start and the entries are great! Thanks to everyone that participated and GOOD LUCK!!

1. Fishmanic

Here is my planted 29 gallon aquarium. My stocking is as follows: 6 tiger barbs, 2 neon tetra (survivors of a larger school), 2 rummynose tetra (survivors of a larger school), 2 julii cory, 1 nanus cory, 1 bolivian ram, 1 bushynose pleco.

Tank has a black background. It is a Marineland aquarium with included fitted hood and led lighting.

There are 2 homemade caves comprised of flagstone and rocks siliconed together.

Water is tap water and is approximately 175 ppm hardness. PH generally is in the range of 7.0- 7.4. Filter is a penquin 200 HOB filter. In the filter I use my own media comprised of a thick sponge and a layer of Big Al's filter floss. The biowheel helps support beneficial bacteria. As a secondary filter, I use a Hydro Pro III reticulated foam sponge filter on the opposite side of the tank from the penguin filter. I use a 200 watt Aqueon heater in the tank and have had good luck with this brand. Temperature is kept at 76 degrees F.

Water changes are done weekly, changing out 50% of the water using a python water changer. The python also removes any detrius/debris on the substrate which consists of white pool filter sand. Filter cleaning is done every two weeks at which time I change out the floss and just rinse the sponge in tank water. I do a total filter housing cleaning about every 6 weeks to get the gunk out of the impeller and off the housing.

I feed twice a day using mainly cobalt brand flake food. I feed the bn pleco an algae wafer about every 2 days. I occasionally give a treat of freeze dried shrimp soaked in tank water and occasionally drop in some shrimp pellets. I also occasionally drop in some freeze dried blood worms or freeze dried daphnia, both soaked in tank water before adding to tank.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2.NickAu

v83ep2.jpg

My 2 foot jungle.
1 Betta
1 Baby BN pleco
Lots of shrimp
Malaysian Trumpet snails, Lots

Ph 7.2
Temp 28 c
Water Changes 50% once a week.
Vacuuming of substrate, Never.
Additives, Easy Life Fluid Filter media and Indian almond leaf, I do not use any ferts.
Filter, Sponge.
Aquael EASYHEATER
Lighting Beamworks High lumen 60, this runs for 6 hours a day.
And
Aqua One LED Mini Touch LED 6w Touch Clip On, This runs in the afternoon and a few hours at night because its not as bright. This is the light that is on in the photo.

The lights are on a timer the little light comes on at 9.30 am till 11 am, then the big light kicks in as the little one goes out and stays on till 6 pm, then the little light kicks in till 9 pm.
Getting the timers right was a nightmare.

Beamswork HI-LUMEN 60 Aquarium LED Light 60cm 2FT 24W Bright
Aqua One LED Mini Touch LED 6w Touch
easyheater - Aquael
NEW Practical Aquarium Biochemical Sponge Filter Fish Shrimp Tank
Easy-Life Filter Medium — English

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Be sure to cast your vote above!

NickAu, your jungle tank looks like a truly natural place and if I were a fish, or especially a shrimp, I would want to live there.

We all aquascape differently, most to make the tank pleasing to the human eye, but is it really what's best for our fish?

NickAu, your jungle tank looks like a truly natural place and if I were a fish, or especially a shrimp, I would want to live there.

We all aquascape differently, most to make the tank pleasing to the human eye, but is it really what's best for our fish?
I agree. The point of aquascaping is creating a NATURAL, and beautiful environment for a fish to enjoy... Not using funky colored sand or anything, massive boulder rocks... I'm surprised the votes turned out this way.

For a NATURAL scape, and a true AQUASCAPE... I would vote nick..

Thats just my 2cents

My tank is a community tank---with tiger barbs as the main fish species. The bottom dwellers, the Bolivian Ram and cories, appreciate my sand substrate and the caves. The rear half of the tank has no rocks and is mainly fine sand. My large pleco hangs out on the underside of the double decker cave on the right. The tiger barbs seem content and healthy in the tank as you can see in my video. They don't ever bother the other fish as they are in a proper sized school. They have plenty of open areas to accommodate their active swimming.

quote from aquaticcommunity.com http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/barbs/tigerbarb.php

"Tiger barb setup:
The recommended minimum aquarium size is 60 centimetres (24 inches). Try to mimic the natural Tiger barb habitat when you set up the aquarium. The shoal should be given plenty of room for swimming, but hiding spots should also be included. Ideally keep the aquarium well planted. Rocks and driftwood will also be appreciated."

Nick's tank looks fantastic and is suitable for his fish stocking . Nice job Nick. My tank setup is suitable for my type of fish.

A empty fish tank is like an artist's blank canvas before he begins painting his work of art. You should set up your tank to adequately accommodate the type of fish you keep and then add your own touches to make it unique. Unless you keep a bare bottom unplanted tank, every aquarium will be different.

Last edited:
Nick's tank looks fantastic and is suitable for his fish stocking

Bettas love their plants plus its great cover for the cherry shrimp, and he hunts them mercilessly.

My tank setup is suitable for my type of fish.
It sure is, I love it.

The point of aquascaping is creating a NATURAL, and beautiful environment for a fish to enjoy... Not using funky colored sand or anything, massive boulder rocks

Both Fishmanic and I set up our tanks to suit or stocking. Tiger barbs wouldn't be happy in my tank as its gloomy and there is not much open area for swimming, and Bettas are not happy in bright open tanks.

I'm surprised the votes turned out this way.
I am not, Overgrown black water tanks are not everybody's cup of tea, Remember people often complain because a bit of new bogwood stained their water and want to remove it, you hardly ever see people wanting black water. Like I always say my tanks may not win prizes but it keeps my fish happy.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back