🐡 FOTM Vote Now - April 2023 Fish of the Month Contest (Tetras)

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Vote Now - April 2023 Fish of the Month

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishmanic

TFF Contest Czar
Staff member
Global Moderator ⚒️
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
POLL IS NOW CLOSED
fotm-banner-small.jpg

Tetras
:fish: :fish:
:big_boss:
PLEASE VOTE!
We have 7 awesome Tetras entered into April 2023 Fish of the Month Contest. View all the entries and descriptions below and then go to the top of page - click on your choice for FOTM and then click the "cast" button.

Please DO NOT post any comments about any specific entry in this thread...such posts will promptly be deleted.
You are not allowed to update your entry picture once voting has started.

Please note:
Any attempt to influence competition results, other than by casting your allocated vote, is not permitted and may result in your entry being removed and / or further action being taken. You are not allowed to have friends or family join TFF for the main purpose of voting for you. This is a public poll so source of votes can be viewed.

The winner is awarded a neat banner in his profile area and will be featured in a Winner Thread for all to see and to comment. The winner also will be added to our FOTM Wall of Fame .

Poll will close on April 30th at 4:00 PM ET (US).

Good luck to our entrants in the Fish of the Month contest. We at fishforums.net thank you for your participation.

Last edited:
IMG_0938 (4).JPG

I think I may be cheating, but photos of lone tetras? They are always in groups, or you're keeping them wrong. They also don't like signs on the glass. So I will direct the focus....
Here is a common tetra, the cardinal. Why? Because the smallest one, in the bottom corner, was recently enough an egg in one of my tanks, and is now a growing juvenile. Most people see cardinals as 'disposable' tetras, and just buy more when they die. It was fun to set up a breeding tank, get the water right, deal with how light can kill the fry, and have the right foods. I only got two fry. But there is a satisfaction in watching fish you've made a project of breeding. Next winter when the breeding season rolls around again, I hope to triple the size of my group. Then I'll know how long they live here. My record so far is seven years, for a healthy shoal wiped out too young in a tank disaster.
They're a 75 gallon with several other tetra groups, some pencil fish and 4 Corydoras species groups.

Last edited by a moderator:
April_2023_TFF_FOTM_1.jpg

Here is one of my rummy-nose. Love these guys so much. They shoal all day long. There are a total of 10 rummy-nose in this 55 gallon tank. I've had 5 of them for a little of a year now and the other 5 for about 9 months.

Tanks mates: 2 Hemigrammus levis Tetra
2 Angelfish
1 Plakat Betta
6 Guppy
5 Golddust Lyretail Molly
1 Panda Garra

IMG_2796.jpeg

This is "Lucky." He's about 4 years old. Why did I name him "Lucky" you ask? -- because he's Lucky to be alive. He's like a cat with nine lives...he survived several incidents which should have killed him.

* 2 years ago he survived a severe bout of ick in which I lost 6 of his tank mates. He lived through it.

* 1 year ago, the 35 gallon tall hex tank where he was living began leaking very fast. I moved all the fish--several skirt tetras, 2 neon tetras, and a BN Pleco to my 29 gallon Tiger Barb tank. The Tiger Barbs immediately began attacking the 2 neon tetras. I knew I had to act fast to save Lucky and the other neon tetra.

* I quickly moved the 2 neon tetras to a 9 gallon tote -- I installed a heater and a sponge filter that was cycled from the 35 gallon tank. All was good until, overnight, the heater failed and the tank temp dropped to 58 degrees. In the morning, I moved the 2 neons to a spare 5 gallon tank and added a new heater and the cycled sponge filter. Lucky survived. The other neon tetra died in less than a day.

* Then a couple of months ago in mid winter, the outdoor temps were at 0 degrees F with very high winds. The whole power for the house was knocked out. The temp in the house quickly dropped and by morning it was in the mid 40s. Tank temp had dropped to 52 degrees. Lucky was laying on the bottom of the tank, breathing heavily...he looked like a goner. I did a water change as the house hot water tank held it's heat pretty well and brought the tank temperature up to 64 degrees. Several hours later the power to the house returned. I gradually raised the tank temperature to 75 degrees F. Lucky was very weak but slowly started swimming again. It took several days of nursing him back to health but again--Lucky survived.

Why don't I get Lucky a few friends, you might wonder? I haven’t added any more Tetras as I've never had luck keeping neons in my moderately hard tap water. They would die off in less than a year. But Lucky is amazing....he not only survives the hard water, he thrives in it. He does have two roommates....two Amano shrimp - both are visible in my entry photo.

So there you have the story...Lucky is one lucky Neon Tetra. He's a fighter and has the will to live. He is very active now and has a great appetite. Being the sole fish in the tank, he is very spoiled and lets me know when he is hungry by coming out from behind the anubias and swimming side to side begging for food.

I never thought I could get so attached to a neon tetra...but Lucky's near death experiences have amazed me....I hope he lives for several more years.

Last edited:
Ok, ok, I'll enter...
IMG_20220205_135250.jpg

This is Curiosity!
Species:
Cardinal Tetra (Paracheirodon axelrodi)
Tank Mates: another cardinal, 2 rosy barbs and 1 leopard danio (not a good combination)
Tank Size: 40 litres (not a good size)

Description: This is one of the 2 currently alive cardinals I have out of the original 6 and has survived in my tank for almost a year now! Its name is Curiosity because it is my most active tetra that likes swimming around the coco cave and through dense forests of java moss. Cardinal tetras are a popular species of fish, so this fish is not particularly special. But I guess this one has its own charm, just look at its cute face! Its body is blood red and bleeds into its crystal clear (unlike my water!) tail. It also has a metallic, indicolite blue streak that runs the whole length of the fish - very eye catching.

*validation photo is attached*

Polish_20230418_204314344.jpg

Well it was a mission trying to get this little dude in shot. Sorry my camera skills are terrible but I'm happy to have a bit of fun.
I have struggled for single fish shot but please except that its the fish that stands out whome I have entered. Haha
These Cardinals have been with me for five years, and previously lived with my sister, I must say they seem to live forever! I don't really know how old they are but hey ho...
They socialize with Neons and false Neons, Minnows, Siamese fighter females, Danio and Haliquin and Loach.
They have live foods and occasionally flake, frozen foods of all kinds.

20230417_192845.jpg
One of my Colombian Tetras (Hyphessobrycon columbianus)

Petrol blue with super red fins and a terrific schooling species. I have Rummy-nose ,Cardinal's and black skirt tetra's too but these have quickily become my favourite😍

My Colombian lives in a group of 13 in my central Amercian tank with cichlids, pictus cats and a green phantom plec 🐠

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back