Vote Now! - April 2021 Fish of the Month (Livebearers)

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Vote Now for April Fish of the Month

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishmanic

TFF Contest Czar
Staff member
Global Moderator ⚒️
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
Fish of the Month
:big_boss:
PLEASE VOTE!
We have 12 beautiful Livebearers entered into April's 2020 Fish of the Month Contest. View all the entries and descriptions below and then go to the top of page - click on your choice for FOTM and then click the "cast" button.

Please DO NOT post any comments about any specific entry in this thread...such posts will promptly be deleted. Preferably no posts should be made in this voting topic.

Please Note:
Any attempt to influence competition results, other than by casting your allocated vote, is not permitted and may result in your entry being removed and / or further action being taken.

The winner is awarded a neat banner in his profile area and will be featured in a Winner Thread for all to see and to comment. The winner also will be added to our FOTM Wall of Fame .

Poll will close on April 29th at 9 PM US ET .

Good luck to our entrants in the Fish of the Month contest. We at fishforums.net thank you for your participation.

Last edited:
239B435D-5861-4579-A71D-52C4AB287571.jpeg

This is Marlin.
I found him at the LFS last week and fell in love with the little guy so I brought him home. He is currently in my community with 2 other males. He thinks he’s the boss of everyone and he acts a bit like a crackhead sometimes (as is the guppy way, lol).
Guppies might seem like beginner fish, but after 3 years in the hobby I still think there is something very special about them.
Thanks for reading!?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello! this is Turkey!!
Man

1618421894353.png
He is One of the many guppies in the 75 gallon!
I got him from petsmart, and he was pretty beaten up when i got him.. over the next few months, he has grown to almost full size!
he's the Orange, black and blue one.
he has a very, very active nature, but his ever growing fins are slowing him down, but that also means he is super strong. it is very hard to get a picture of him because of that...

i think there is something special of every guppy :) he is mostly just very curious... if he is with cories he schools and filters sand with them, if hes with the swordtails he schools and goes around the tank very fast...

he's very interesting. he never started out as the prettiest in the tank, but i bet now he has to be!

food: blanched veggies, shrimp cory wafers,hikari guppy food, bloodworms,high-quality bug stuff, pleco wafers(algae wafers)

tankmates: he is the dominant male but the "queen", my other female guppy is the dominant guppy. lievs with 20+ other guppies, most which are his kids, a school of 10 cories, a horned nerite, a lazy mystery, a lively mystery, 1 big ramshorn, lots of bladder, the tank has some plants but is currently lacking... they are starting to come back tho, 2 skittish swordtails.

(Should i add a photo with the sticker/card? its a 75gallon so it is very hard to get him there...)

This is Moth!
gubbbbb.jpg

Moth is my pretty little male guppy from my 13G guppy tank.
To be completely honest, I've got no idea what species he is! I got him - along with five other males - at a Maidenhead chain labelled only as a male guppy. (If anyone could help out on identifying the species, that'd be helpful!)

He's around five months old, and he's a member of my guppy breeding tank along with ten other guppies and a small common pleco (and a few tetras that I haven't had the opportunity to rehome yet). His main food is tropical flakes, but occasionally snacks on the plec's algae wafers and sinking pellets that I drop in every couple days.

Out of all my guppies, he certainly has the most character: he's very curious and likes coming up to the front of the tank to greet me. Getting a photo of him with the note was incredibly hard without a little treat to help him along.

20210414_225537.jpg

This is Harold, my Wrestling Halfbeak. I have had him almost 6 months now. I think he looks constantly grumpy. I think Halfbeaks are one of the more interesting types of livebearers, and would eventually like to get more and possible breed them.

He lives in a 29 gallon lightly brackish tank with a breeding pair of Orange Chromides, 4 nerite snails and numerous MTS. The tank is fed Bugbites micro pellets, color flakes, and spirulina flakes. Once a week they are fed blanched peas, then fasted the next day. Although, he does try to eat everything put in the tank.

AriesGuppy.jpeg

Hi, I named this guy ARIES because he is a survivor! He had a best friend, a yellow Guppy, they danced and swam together all over the tank with pretty swirls around one another. Unfortunately, after his friend died, he was alone for a long time as we had moved house, the tank struggled, we couldn't buy more friends for him til a bit later, I couldn't believe he survived as conditions were not ideal at all. Their heater broke during the move, he survived 4 days before I was able to get another. I finally managed to get him 4 friends who look similar, the lady from Pets at home gave me all orange tails, for some reason, amongst them, none has become a best friend for him swimming side by side and I'm planning in the next guppy inclusion, he will find one swimming buddy because, for some reason, the current 5 have a pair (tails in background) always together, another with the same tail as Aries but they don't stick together, I'm not sure but I really want this guy to have a best buddy! Because he was lonely for a while :(. That's his story and why I call him survivor. My girlfriend asked me if I think the other guppies bully him lol, I'm not sure if Guppies do that? Poor guy. Anyway, he's the strongest BOY I've had of the guppy gang in my tank EVER. Lasted the longest! When I first inherited this tank, I'd moved into my gf's flat, she had adopted it from her friend who moved country, I came and I had no clue about tanks, I had to self study for the whole year to learn how to keep in better conditions, since I've established my methods, we've not lost any fish except in the house move. (First time moving a tank, unprepared). So he's lasted 1 year and that's the longest fish have lasted in this tank. He's from the original batch of guppies. The only remaining survivor!

He eats everything, very happy guy. Friendly, keeps trying to swim with the other guppies who're unfortunately a bit cliquey this time around. There's also neighbour school of 9 Glowlight tetras swimming below usually except for feeding time. He's known them for a year too but they don't associate much.

His home is the 25Gallon tank I inherited. (took over the care of from my gf who's less enthusiastic of a carer, let's say) The tank gets a combination of bloodworms twice a week with, rotating daily pinch of freeze-dried daphnia, baby brine shrimp, FD river shrimp, his neighbours go for the Love fish pellets, but him and his guppy gang love the King british tropical flakes and Love fish tropical flakes. They all love the FD stuff and bloodworm most.

He's just Amazing all in all.

IMG_0387a.jpg

I chose a fancy guppy as the livebearer of the month this time.
Overhere a male moscow blue guppy of mine. Some purple is in there as well. He's got a wellshaped body. His tail has got a small gap. But that hasn't happened by a fight or bite. He was born like that. But he's one of the best colored ones. His scales are also perfect. A clear scale pattern is important if you want to have show quality. In his dorsal, he's got a beautful white marking which is rare for a blue moscow guppy. His dorsal has got a beautiful fan shape. And he's got beautiful round shaped dark blue (almost black) pectoral fins. There's no white on his belly area (some do show white on that area but will loose points at a show).
So, this is my entry this time...

20210415_200752.jpg

Hello all - joining in for the first time because - why not? I humbly proffer my orange spotty molly - dunno quite how to classify him & think ginger dalmation may not be it!

My boy isn't particularly fancy, if anything he's a pest who thinks he is the king of the castle hence finding himself in the boys tank with some fry and well away from the ladies before any more impregnation can occur. He does like the ladies. Yes, I know I'm guaranteed a year of fry ha ha!!

His name is Timmy, previously Henry, formerly Mark, because my daughter named him and lacks imagination or commitment for boys names. I've had him since February - he was sold as a she and spent a short time as marie before the truth became somewhat obvious!

He's pretty friendly, or at least food orientated enough to appear friendly to a human used to misinterpreting behaviours. I tried to get a picture of him with his fin up - its a big one and he is very proud ha ha - but could barely catch him as he whizzed by. Please don't judge me for the state of my validation pic - finding a working pen in our house a challenge....

20210416_075058.jpg

This is robert the male balloon mollie. He is 3-4 weeks old and eats pellets and cucumber. He came from my LFS and is housed in a 38l tank with red cherry shrimp and a dalmation mollie. He has these little shuny dots on his head and when he goes under the tank light they show up gold. He is a scavenger ans nibbles my plants and cleans the sand. He likes to hang around near the filyer flow and sometimes hangs around the heater. He is very friendly (unlike the dalmation mollie who chases him) but he scares the shrimp fry. Sorry for the terrible handwriting on the picture hopefully its ledgeable...

B8A831EC-5B76-45D1-AD27-6586F29B01E1.jpeg

This is a male platy, mother was blue and the father was orange so a very unique mix. All the males from that brood are like that. It is about 3 months old in a 250l planted community tank (glass needs a clean) it’s in there with ottos, other platies, orange finned danios, dwarf gouramis, cherry shrimp and a L134 plec. I feed them flake food in the morning and frozen food in the evening, once a week I’ll add a piece or courgette into the tank.

IMG_7968 (640x360).jpg

skiffia multepunctarta (male goodeid
only males of this species are colourful, and can vary in colour from yellow silver black and speckled, or the black pigmentation can cover a good percentage of the body I keep them in a 15 gallon + tank temperature 70 to 74 f i feed them on a good variety of flake and livefoods easy to keep and breed do best when kept in a species tank only
View attachment 134586

20210417_102042.jpg

This is my Blue Japanese Swordtail Guppy. He is around 2.5 years old. I got him from a PetSmart, which I know everybody dislikes, but I have always had pretty good success with my petsmarts. He is currently living in a 10 gallon live bearer tank with a 3 month old Molly, a who knows how old Molly, and a baby platy. He does get pushed around some, but he gets the same amount of food during feeding (I make sure of that). I have not named him, because at the time he was with a lot of more noticeable guppies. When those guppies died off, he was still there just living life.

End of Entires:
Please slowly scroll up as you review the 12 entries and then cast your vote in the poll at the top of this thread.

Next up will be our Tank of the Month contest featuring tanks sized at 31 gallons and larger. So get your tanks ready to enter the contest. Entry period starts on April 30th and will run for about 6 days.

We have a FOTM Winner! Circus has won FOTM. If you'd like to congratulate him, head over to the FOTM Winner's thread at the following link:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back