TFF Contest Czar
Staff member
Global Moderator ⚒️
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
2020 Tank of the Year
:big_boss:
VOTE NOW

We're winding up another great year on Tropical Fish Forums. The holidays are coming and we at TFF are going to celebrate in style.

Fishforums.net is proud to announce our 2020 TANK OF THE YEAR poll. We had 12 top notch winners over the last 12 months in our Tank of the Month Contests. We need your help to decide which tank is the best of the best! We are asking all members to vote for the tank that you feel deserves the title of 2020 TANK OF THE YEAR.

TFF is offering a first prize of a $50 Amazon gift card to the winner of this poll. This poll will close at 1:11 PM EST on Friday January 1st. Please do your part and cast your vote for 2020 TANK OF THE YEAR!

Please view all 12 entries before voting. Then go to the poll at the top of this thread, click on your choice and then click the cast button. You are allowed to change your vote if you wish. No comments are allowed in this poll. Fishforums.net thanks you for your participation in our contests.

Entrants, please note:
Any attempt to influence competition results, other than by casting your allocated vote, is not permitted and may result in your entry being removed and / or further action being taken. This is a public poll so all votes are visible as to source.

Good luck to our 12 entrants. Merry Xmas and Happy New Year to all our fine members.
Let the Games Begin

Russjw - January 2020 TOTM Winner
20200105_152325-jpg.96113

This is my fluval Roma River stream tank.

*220 litres (100x40x55 cms)
*Been running for 3 months
*2 x heaters with a HTC306 T duel controller.
*Fluval 405 canister filter with spray bar, duel sponge filter.
*2x bubble stones
*Substrate: Play sand with some fine gravel for contrast.
*Plants: Cryptocoryne Beckettii/ Parva, Rotala Indica, Amazon Swords, Green Tiger Lotus, Hygrophia, Hornwort, Moss balls, other stem plants and Water lettuce floating. Artificial ivy at rear.
*Decor: Driftwood, River rock, green oase stone and black pebbles.
*fish feed Omega one flakes, NLS small pellets and fluval bug bites with plant matter such as Duckweed.
*Plant feed i use Root tabs and weekly liquid Fert.
*Maintance/parameters: Ammonia 0,
Nitrite 0, nitrates 5-10ppm, ph 7.4, temp 25c.
Weekly water changes 50 to 75%

*Current stocking:
13 Super Red Rosy Barbs
9 Odessa Barbs
6 Otocinclus Dwarf Catfish
4 Amano Shrimp
Malaysian trumpet snails
4 Assassin snails

BetterWithBettas - February 2020 TOTM Winner
20200204_135046-png.97300

It is the new home for my plakat Elvis and 5 nerites.

Tank size: 4ft
Tabk inhabitants: 1 betta, 5 nerites
Temp: 26 degrees Celsius
Equiptment: 2 internal filters, 2 heaters and 2 lights
Feeding: 2 pellets morning, frozen food at night (blood worms, brine shrimp or mosquito lavae)
Substrate: gravel and sand
Decorations: live plants and drift wood

Cromid - March 2020 TOTM Winner
img_20200302_103241-jpg.98688

Hey guys, this is my first ever tank as I'm new to the hobby. About a month old, its a 60l long tank, 80cm in length. Heavily planted from day one with Bacopa, Java Fern, willow moss, Hair Grass, Sag and some floating Sal. Sand and aquarium soil substrate. Three pieces of bogwood in varying sizes to give plenty of hiding spaces but also free swimming room and a few decorate rocks/pebbles.
Using a interpret pf2 filter as it's a longer tank and has a nice aeration setting.
Lighting Nicrew Led system, has a 24 hour cycle to mimic daylight, night, dusk and dawn. It's awesome.
Temp 24/25c
Soft water with a pH fluctuating between 6.5/7.5
Ammonia 0 nitrite 0, nitrate about 4

Currently stocking
5 amano shrimp
6 peppered cories
5 harlequin rasbora (will add another 5 next week)
And then looking to add either 2 honey gourami, or maybe even a single male Betta if parameters allow.

Doing 40% water changes every week. And topping up throughout.

Munroco - April 2020 TOTM Winner
totm1-jpg.100336

This is a 30*12*15 tank (Just under 20 gals UK) containing 12 Nematobrycon Palmeri (Emperor tetras) and 11 Corydora Duplicareus. Planted with a variety of low light requirement plants. This tank is about 6" off the floor of my fishroom (Large cupboard) so it's hard to get good pictures. Lighting is An Arcadia Classic Stretch LED. PH is around 7. The tank in it's current state has been going for about 4 months. Fish are fed twice a day, occasionally more often, on a variety of dried and freeze dried foods. Come summer I feed live food occasionally.
Plants
Hygrophila Difformis
Hygrophila Polysperma
Limnophila Sessiliflora
Subwassertang
Heteranthera Zosterifolia
Ludwigia Palustris
Crptocoryne becketi
Staurogyne Repens
Vallisneria Spiralis
Anubias Barteri (nana)
Microsorum Pteropus (Java Fern)
Java Moss

NCaquatics - May 2020 TOTM Winner
20200502_233201-jpg.102971

My tank is a 46 gallon bowfront, planted community.
Parameters are 0ppm ammonia, 0ppm nitrite, 20 ppm nitrate, pH 7.5.

Fish: Neon tetras, black neon tetras, platies, dwarf gourami, farlowella twig cats, corydoras aeneus, corydoras weitzmani, corydoras ambiacus, pangio loaches (seminica, oblonga, superba, and doriae).

Inverts: Bamboo shrimp, nerite snail, ramshorn snails, bladder snails.

Plants: Amazon swords, crypts, java fern, salvinia, anacharis

Filtration: Aquaclear 70, Aquaclear 50.

Heater: Eheim Jager 150w set to 76F

Water changes 25% weekly, 50% monthly.

Feeding: Omega One flakes, algae wafers, Wardley Shrimp Pellets, Bug Bites, frozen mysis/brine shrimp, steamed veggies.

Fertilizer: Seachem Flourish 1x week day after water change, API Root Tabs for the swords and crypts as needed.

Dechlorinator: Seachem Prime.

Lighting: Aqueon Full Spectrum T8 Bulb, AquaGlo T8 Bulb

Vanalisa - June 2020 TOTM Winner
20200426_192226-jpg.105949

This is a 10g tank a friend gave me. It currently has a hood from a 20g that includes lighting. The filter came from the pet store as part of a used 20g sale. It has a heater.

It currently houses:

6 White Cloud Mountain Minnows. There uses to be 5 but I found a fry one day; at that time it looked lile a neon terra. I fed it back in the corner while the other fish were busy eating in another part of the tank. She soon knew where to go. I know the fry is a female because she has a well rounded belly.

It also has 4 Celestial Pearl Danios and 2 very charming Amano shrimp.

I feed flakes, pellets, frozen daphnia, live and frozen worms. I do 30% water change each week, 70% monthly.

Plants include:

Hornwort
Anacharis
A crypt of some sort
Dwarf water lily
Pothos ivy
One small sprig Creeping Jenny

Everyone is going into the "It's taking forever to cycle" 20g.

I love this tank, mostly because everyone gets along and is healthy.
Secondly because it's beautiful.

PheonixKingZ - July 2020 TOTM Winner
july-ttf-totm-jpg.108634

This is my tank "Planted Paradise"!
Size: 29g US Gallons (Material: Glass)
Age of setup: Around 8 months

Heater: Interpet 2-15 gallon
Filter: Tetra Wisper 2-10 gallon (With standard floss, and sponge)
Light: Desk clip lamp, with a bright LED bulb
Extra Equipment: DIY floating plant separator. (Made out of two suction cups and fishing line) a light separator. (Made out of airline tubing) and a black trash bag as a background.

Stock:
[8] Neon Tetras
[6] Panda Corydoras
[1] Male Albino BNP
[40] Cherry Shrimp
[60+] Pond, MTS, and BRH snails

Plants:
Anancharis (Broad leaved and narrow leaved)
Anubias (Two types)
Lacy Java Fern
Salvinia
Java Moss (Which has taken very nicely to the tank)
(No fertilizers are used in the tank.)

Feeding:
Neon Tetras: One pinch of Omega One flakes 5 days a week. The other two days, I fast them.
Albino BNP: Blanched cucumbers
Snails/Shrimp: Blanched cucumbers

Hardscape:
4 Pieces of driftwood
1-2 pounds of Dragon Stone
Smooth river rocks
Play sand. (I got a lucky color on that batch. I love it)

Additional information:
I love this tank. The neon tetras really like swimming around in all of that space. The salvinia is growing very well and shades the right side of the tank. The airline tubing provides light to the right back corner of the tank. The Pleco loves the driftwood, and sits on it a lot.

Mbsqw1d - August 2020 TOTM Winner
image3a291084_chroma2-jpg.112005

Fluval Roma 52 gallon / 200 litre planted aquarium setup during lock-down using planted cycle method.

Filtration: APS 1400EH+ and another cheapo powerhead for circulation.

Lights: Fluval LED 3.0 Plant
Heater: Fluval E-series

Temperature: 72 F / 22 C
GH: 5.7 (German Degrees)
PH: 7.7
Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: < 10 ppm

Plants:
Eleocharis parvula
Hygrophila corymbosa 'Siamensis 53B'
Ludwigia palustris
Heteranthera zosterifolia
Echinodorus 'Bleherae'
Alternanthera reineckii Rosanervig
Anubias nana
Anubias barteri
Vallisnaria
Elodea
Java Fern Trident
Java Fern
Crypt Beckettii
Taxiphyllum 'Spiky'
Floating: salvinia and frogbit

Substrate: Sand
Decor:
4 x pieces of Bogwood
Stones/Rocks from the beach
Almond leaves

Stocking:
12 Peppered Corydora (+ 3 eggs!)
20 ish Red Cherry Shrimp
Millions (probably) Malaysian Trumpet Snails

Future Stocking Plans:
15 - 20 x Barb .. either Pentazona, Black Ruby or Odessa
15 - 20 Tetra .. haven't got round to figuring out which type
Some dither fish, perhaps danios?

Fertilizers:
TNC Root Tabs
TNC complete (1 ml per day)
Co2 injection at 1 bubble per second

50 - 75% Water Change every week (conditioned with Seachem Prime)

Wells - September 2020 TOTM Winner
20200831_210008-jpg.114775

The setup is a Fluval Flex 57l, recently rescaped and will be a betta home eventually while I get a larger tank set up to give the little guys a new home.

Soil substrate with dwarf hair grass foreground, unsure of the exact name of the hardscape but sure its 2 pieces of seiryu stone and some driftwood coming in between down to the front.
Some crypts to the right, amazon sword in the back, and some Anubis and java ferns. I forget the name of the reddish plants to the left and right.

Fish stock is 9 harlequin rasboras, 3 fancy guppies, 3 red cherry shrimp, 1 nerite snail, and the latest edition dwarf gourami named Gavin.

NCaquatics - October 2020 TOTM Winner
20201002_225255-jpg.118519

20 gallon long
nano community

Stock: 7 microdevario kubotai, 2 sparkling gourami, 17 corydoras pygmaeus, 1 assassin snail, pest snails.

Plants: Moss, hygrophila polysperma, cryptocoryne pontederiifolia, cryptocoryne wendtii, cryptocoryne undulata, Java fern, anacharis.

Filter: 20g sponge filter

Light: aqueon hood light, T8 full spectrum bulb

Heater: preset tetra heater

Temperature 75-78F
PH: 7.2
GH 80 ppm (last I tested on the stip test anyways)
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate <20

Fertilizers: API root tabs for the crypts, seachem flourish as needed (I maybe dose 2x a month)

Water change: 50-75% weekly

Razzmataz - November 2020 TOTM Winner
20201101_044317-jpg.121480

Hello all!
This is my 2 1/2 month 36 gallon BF planted tank.
Lighting is a Finnex 24/7 CRV LED fixture.

Filtration consist of a Seachem Tidal 55, a Hygger double sponge filter driven by a Tetra Whisper 40 air pump, and a cheapo internal filter with a spray bar which is used for surface agitation and poly fill is placed inside for water polishing.

Inhabitants consist of Neon and Rummynose tetras, Harlequin Rasboras, Panda Corys, Otocinclus and a pair of Honey Gouramis

Plants consist of various Anubias, Crypts, Java fern, Pogestemon, Amazon sword, Ludwigia and Dwarf Tiger Lotus.

Twice a week 10 to 12 gallon wc are done and testing parameters are performed the night before a wc. Seachem Prime is added to new tank water, Stability and Pristine is added after.

For plant fertilzers, Easy Green and Easy Iron is dosed a few hours after a wc and Seachem Flourish the following day. I only dose 1/2 the recommendations. Root tabs are also used.

Parameters holds steady at 0/0/10, PH at 7.4, temp is 77F, GH at 7.

Still learning a lot about the hobby and being on this forums definitely increased my knowledge.

Fishy_Dan - December 2020 TOTM Winner
tank-jpg.123712

Tank details:
Ciano aqua 60 - 58 litre 60x30x30cm tank. Set up using a silent cycle method with lots of plants. Running for two months now and fully stocked for about 3/4 weeks.​
6500K stock LED light - 900lm. On 8 hours a day (4 on, 5 off, 4 on) dimmed at 80%​
Eheim aquaball 130 internal filter​
Argos play sand plus root tabs​
Azalea root​
Flora/Fauna:
Crypts, echinodorus reni, lagenandra meeboldii red, hygrophila siamensis 53b, java fern, limnophila sessiliflora, anubias barteri var. nana, salvinia.​
4 x Yellow honey gourami (1 x male - named Blue)​
10 x Glowlight rasboras​
5 x Amano shrimp​
Parameters/schedule:
As a silent cycle I never added amonia to this tank. Tap water comes out at 20-30ppm nitrate, which I think the plants love as I don't add any fertilisers and the growth has been amazing! I thow away handfuls of salvinia with every water change to stop it completely covering the surface.​
I was a little worried when I started adding the fish, never having done a silent cycle before, but I haven't seen any ammonia or nitrite!​
Ph 7.4, GH 16​
At first I was doing 50% water changes every three or four days to combat early tank algae. Now I do 60% every 5/6 days.​
Feeding:
Once daily. Flake twice a week. Micro pellets twice a week. Bloodworm/Mosquito larve twice a week. Defrosted peas once a week.​
I have really enjoyed setting up this tank, my first for 10 years, and love to look at it during the day as a break from work. I hope you like it too!
END OF ENTRIES
Please slowly scroll up as your review the 12 entries and then cast your vote in the poll at the top of the thread.

Last edited:
Just ONE day left to vote. If you haven't already voted, please vote now.

Entrants, please note:
Any attempt to influence competition results, other than by casting your allocated vote, is not permitted and may result in your entry being removed and / or further action being taken. This is a public poll so all votes are visible as to source.

Our Tank of the Month contest resumes on Jan 1st 2021. For January we will feature tanks sized at 17 to 30 US gallons. If you have a tank of that size, get your tank ready to enter the contest.

Last edited:
This was not easy. I came in cold and scrolled down, admiring all of them and at some point I just selected one. But there was not a clear winner in my opinion. Great work with your tanks...all of you.

And as we approach midnight on New Year's eve, we have crossed the magic 200 vote goal. Onward and upward we go..where it stops, soon we shall know. :banana: :banana: :banana:

Good luck to all entrants and HAPPY NEW YEAR! :drinks:

Winner will be announced on Friday at 1:11 PM EST (US)

Next up will be our Tank of the Month contest which will feature tanks sized at 17 to 30 gallons.

Last edited:
We had 12 top notch tanks entered into our Tank of the Year competition. After a very close contest, we have a winner. The winner is Razzmataz with his 36 gallon well planted and nicely stocked Bow Front tank. Congrats Razzmataz on your win.

You may congratulate Razzmataz in the Winner's thread by CLICKING HERE

Thanks to everyone who participated in this contest by either competing or voting or both.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back