Volcano Eruption In Iceland. 24.03.2010. Day 4.

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
I wonder if this volc is the one causing major airports closures throughout England today, massive cloud of ash has encrouched onto British airspace, exspected to hang over us for next few days...hope no ones got a holiday abroad...

Birmingham Airport hit hard, haven't seen any planes all morning. I'm hoping some of the ash will fall on my garden, great soil improver. :lol:

All of British airspace is closed. That means no planes to or from any uk airport today

Yes, it has certainly been in the news. I'm hoping it doesn't effect foreign travel for too long. :unsure: I'm going on a trip in May.

Glasgow is back open, as are some other scottish air ports. My local (East midlands) Is the second biggest cargo Airport in the country and all of the royal mail stuff goes through there, so they're having to use lorries to ship it across the UK so there are massive delays too.

Iceland is a wonderful country and I am saddened by its plight! Ah Iceland! I mourn for thee and all of Europe!

:lol:

Sorry Truck. :) No hard feelings?

I'm going to Italy in May, so hopefully this mess will clear. I have to pay my tuition for the program soon. I don't want to pay it, only to find out I cannot go. That would not be fun.

My Experience
Stranded in Australia
Bit of a nightmare actually. We we destined to stay for 3 weeks which was or original holiday plan.
So merrily we spent our days sightseeing and spending money hand over fist. all the while our trusty hire car was there to help us achieve this.
The two days before we were meant to leave Mt. Eyjafjallajökull decides to blow her top and spew an ash cloud which would blanket most of Europe, this lead to the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) closing down all of the affected airspace.
We were now eventually stranded abroad and were at the mercy of the airlines. We were with Singapore Airlines and on the night we were meant to begin our journey home from Brisbane (QLD) we were turned back at the checking in desk. They offered us $150 per night for accommodation for six nights. ($900 max) we would have to find our own hotel and taxi's to and from such. We had to leave a contact number for them to advise us on any developing movement in what was fast becoming a crisis situation. Problem was that we would have to foot the hotel bill and any other ongoing expenditure as regards to food etc ourselves and redeem our receipts at London Heathrow. We had no money left and I don't do busking. Luckily we were staying with relatives who very graciously put up with us for another week as it turned out. The hire car was long gone by this time so we were literally housebound, just ventured into the garden every now and then to catch a few more of the last summer rays. The airline also gave us a number to call for assistance and advice, this was bloody useless as it was an Indian Call centre. They just offered to re-book us in May sometime. After almost a week of constant battering the phone (running up more expense) my wife finally broke through the quagmire and eventually got someone, a local airline representative on the end of the phone line that could help. We were given flight dates to Manchester (not London) but this didn't matter as we just wanted to get home, we were exhausted by all the stress. It's not funny being stranded in a far off land with the airlines still taking bookings for new customers without clearing folks that were stranded globally first. Shame on all those companies that were still trying to make a buck out of other folks misery. There are many many horror stories out there on the net if you care to look.
Thanks to my elderly Aunt and Uncle (80 years of age) who kept us fed and watered that we were able to survive the course of the ordeal. Thanks also to Logan City Libraries (OLD) for allowing us to join and to use their computers to keep abreast of the situation.
Finally we were told to go to the airport Brisbane to Singapore...in Singapore we had a excruciating 9 hour wait for our connecting flight.
One day later we are home. an experience that flattened an otherwise superb holiday. Pics will follow.
At least we're back
ATB
C

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back