volcanic rock

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

snotirl

Fish Addict
Reaction score
i recently got some volcanic rock from mt enthnta and iwas wondering if i could it in the fish tank cause it would be perfrct 4 small fish!!

i belive it will be ok but i would recomend boiling it first or at least rincing it in boiling water oh and be carefull as boiling water can scold (i know ive done it myself)

I'll agree with jam on the boiling bit to (after passing the vinegar test) boiling will remove any sediment from the rock that may be bad for the fish. coming from nature I'd boil in at least 3 times for about 30-45 minutes to be sure that you have got it clean. there is also the chance that parasites may be in there too (boiling should kill them) as lava rock is very pourous.

Lava rock is fine, but I...uh....third the motion to boil it. :hyper:

If you Boil it, What out for trapped air pockets!!! Boomm! in your face! ;)

Graeme.

wHEN I POURED VINGEAR ON THEM SMOKE CAME OF THE ROCKS BUT NOT THAT MUCH IS THAT OK TO USE AFTER BOILING IT??

did it fizz? if so this may effect the chemistry of your water or be toxic to the fish. You can try boiling it and check it again. I would advise against it though. I just got a bunch of shale from the river, all sorts of sizes and shapes. You should try the closest river for rocks.

ive got pumice (lava rock) in my tank and lfs sell it so it should be ok......it may fizz a tiny bit but its safe to use....and it may push ur pH up a tiny bit but mine hasnt budged

Tek :fish:

i agree with boilin it too....i did mine for 30 mins each n everytrhin is fine and dandy

ye ok your is ok then mine should be ok ill boil it and see :nod:

try poring vinegar on it again after you boil and dry it. if it still smokes I would not use it. lava rock can be different depending on what part of the world the volcano is in.

ok and there all different types of rock anyway

how long should i wait after boiling for the first time to boil again

just a one time boil of 30 min or so should do the trick. If it still smokes and you do want to add it, make sure you monitor the water parameters for a week or so.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back