Vision 180

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
looks great!!
good.gif

Wow thats quite an unusual mix of fish you have in there, surprised its working tbh. How long has the tank been set up?

plant the plants or they will die. you wouldnt go to a garden centre and buy a pansy and leave it in a pot onto of the soil! its the same for aquatic plants.

The tank has been running for about 18 months but every now and then i reset it and this is the latest incarnation

I leave them potted because the fish often dig them up but i dont mind having to replace them if they die off but most of the plants seem to survive but not flourish

In fairness i only added the yellow labs and tropheus a few days ago but they seem to get on alright

The tank has been running for about 18 months but every now and then i reset it and this is the latest incarnation

I leave them potted because the fish often dig them up but i dont mind having to replace them if they die off but most of the plants seem to survive but not flourish

In fairness i only added the yellow labs and tropheus a few days ago but they seem to get on alright

Ill be honest I think you will have problems in the future, Im surprised the Rams have been able to stand up to the cons for so long as they both look pretty big. I think the tank is too small for a few of the fish in there as well, especially with so many territorial fish and even more so being full of fish with vicious reputations.

Wills

Could you detail your thoughts a bit as to which fish in small tank etc the rams and cons have been in there the longest. but i do agree that the tropheus may be a problem having done a bit more investigation

Generally speaking people dont mix african and SA/CA american cichlids, africans are just so much more agressive. Though saying that they can usually live with convicts Ive seen this done a few times and its worked out well. With convicts they are usually very hard to get to co exist with any other fish apart from much bigger nastier CA cichlids at which point cons are used as dithers. In most tanks cons are not just aggressive but downright evil, you see a lot of reports where they physically hunt out tank mates and then double team them till the other fish are dead.

With african cichlids Ill admit to being quite a novice in terms of knowledge comparatively to my knowledge of new world cichlids, but even then I know that you should keep 1 male to 3 female for most species sometimes even more females to male to spread out the aggression. But honestly I really wold never recommend mixing americans and africans in such a small tank - most african keepers would put a 4ft tank minimum for the africans you have as well.

In a 3 foot tank like the 180, you want at max 3 cichlids off your stocking list I would choose the 2 rams and the elliotti and even then the elliotti can get reasonably big. Also it is often recomended that the only rainbow fish that are suitable for a 3ft tank are the dwarf neon rainbows, most of the others like the splendida and the bosmani for example get to 4-5 inches and need to be in groups and because of their active nature they need at least a 4-5 foot tank so I would think about swapping those. The featherfin I had one hit 8-9 inches in my old 90g and the levels of activity at night just cant be met in a 3ft tank. But there are quite a few smaller synos that will work in your tank. Again the Clown loaches, I know they take for ever to grow but they do get to a foot long or more usually I would say to people in a 4ft tank if they want some get them but plan to upgrade or rehome once they hit 5-6 inches again they need groups. A good alternative for these are something like zebra loaches or dwarf chain loaches.

I know it looks bad but honestly Im just giving you my 2 cents. Im not trying to wind you up just trying to help, whether you tank my advice is your choice but its done with the best intentions for you and your tank. If I was to advise a stocking for your tank based off your current stock I would go for.

1 Ellioti
2 Bolivian Rams - Like I said stick with 3 cichlids, here you have 2 dwarfs and 1 medium sized cichlid. I have to say the Ellioti could outgrow your tank as recorded sizes range from 5-10 inches so you need to watch that.
3 Syno Nigriventis - In place of the featherfin, looks similar but no feathers and keeps the upside down behavior a lot longer
12 Dwarf Neon Rainbows - In place of the Splendid Rainbows - in a much bigger school and will look fantastic
5 Zebra Loaches - In place of the clown loaches stays much smaller and the group will play a lot :)

Like I said I just want to help and I genuinely think your tank is going to have problems in the near future.
Wills

i thank you for your imput. I was advised that the yellow labs were a lot less agressive of the african and would proberly be ok with the others . the clowns the large one is proberly getting close to its potentioal in this tank but the 2 small ones are a way off yet and seem comfortable although again people say they should be in alarger shoal. to that end as i move the larger on i thought i might ad 1-2 new small ones in.I really do love the featherfin and quite often come down in the night to watch him glide around the tank he appears comfortable. If i was to get rid of any of the fish it would be the cons as they do get very territorial when they lay eggs. but i have to say that i have rarely seen any problems with fin nip or any other damage except when they fight each other and lock lips in battle. i await to see how the tropheus get on as i said earlier they are a new addition but my lfs is quite flexible at taking fish back and swops. Thanks for the info and be assured if i see trouble i will be back here for advise Thank you.

i thank you for your imput. I was advised that the yellow labs were a lot less agressive of the african and would proberly be ok with the others . the clowns the large one is proberly getting close to its potentioal in this tank but the 2 small ones are a way off yet and seem comfortable although again people say they should be in alarger shoal. to that end as i move the larger on i thought i might ad 1-2 new small ones in.I really do love the featherfin and quite often come down in the night to watch him glide around the tank he appears comfortable. If i was to get rid of any of the fish it would be the cons as they do get very territorial when they lay eggs. but i have to say that i have rarely seen any problems with fin nip or any other damage except when they fight each other and lock lips in battle. i await to see how the tropheus get on as i said earlier they are a new addition but my lfs is quite flexible at taking fish back and swops. Thanks for the info and be assured if i see trouble i will be back here for advise Thank you.

No probs :)

apart from your stocking issues. the tank looks good nice and well de-algaed unlike a certain members on here. cough cough.

Love the rock formation of the right is it a real rock or fake? where did you get it from?

And todo with what people have said to get in the tank i have a school of 9 neon rainbow fish and zebra loaches they are both great, however the zebra loachs can be a little shy and often dig under rocks or wood. they have made a little burrow under some wood i have in my tank.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back