Virus On A Pc No Resore Discs

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

thats odd, the first thing it does, after starting the scan, is ask you if you want to download and buy the software. so you can have "active protection", why not download a "good" anti virus, like AVG instead? it also flagged a number of viruses, i know i don't have, and missed all the, backdoors worms and crackes, i know i do have. poor perfomance, for me, at best.

ahhh sorry wot i ment 2 say was u dont need 2 buy 2 actually let it remove viruses, yes u can buy the complete software but i personally wiouldnt when as you say AVG is perfectly ok for day to day running :) , thats what i run and it works perfect :)

lol. i know. but many of these sites are real problems to those of less experience. and it did identify, none existent, problems on a "clean" computer. thing about good spy/trojans, is to make them invisible to the computer user. scanning with "anti virus" that, may have, put it there in the first place, will offer no protection.

AVG is updated, virtually, by the minute. honestly i would rather beliave AVG than this scanner. and would advise you/anyone to do the same! :good: :good:

a good anti virus will detect all Trojans, once they are identified.

The problem with the "once they are identified" bit is that it could take several days before a new trojan has been identified and rolled out by the AV firms. In several days a trojan could already have harvested and sent all your personal details back to the scumbag. This will hapen regardless of whether you are running as an administrator or not, so a simple free firewall stopping a program getting acess to the internet prevents it calling home until the AV can find and get rid of it.

Don't rely totally on any antivirus and certainly not the free ones, none of them are 100% at stopping everything.

Arfie

a good anti virus will detect all Trojans, once they are identified.

The problem with the "once they are identified" bit is that it could take several days before a new trojan has been identified and rolled out by the AV firms. In several days a trojan could already have harvested and sent all your personal details back to the scumbag. This will hapen regardless of whether you are running as an administrator or not, so a simple free firewall stopping a program getting acess to the internet prevents it calling home until the AV can find and get rid of it.

Don't rely totally on any antivirus and certainly not the free ones, none of them are 100% at stopping everything.

Arfie

True true :good: :good:

There was a key word in there, most :good: Symantec, macaffe and most of the dominant internet protection software people that you are practically guarrenteed to find in PC world and small shops alike are rubbish. I've yet to get a copy of any of Symantec's software, bar Ghost 10, to run on a system without caursing instability issues. Couple that with the fact that, IME at least, it seems to miss 1 out of every 2 infections and well... Lets just say it's not great. MacAffe I can get going stable but has the same issue with finding anything, it just doesn't half the time it should :sad: I can't comment on Kapersky or Eset as I haven't used them, but a few of the business anti-virus solutions about £100+ I quite like, shame you can't *legaly* use them on any reasonable budget :sad: I've also played arround with several of the other software about for smaller budgets and realy they don't seem to get as may hits as AVG does.

All the best
Rabbut

Right, The computer that I mentioned at the start, still has this virus !!

Just found out its running windows2000 professional edition ! :unsure:

It has AVG on it, but still can't shift the virus, as it cant get past the boot-up cycle ! :crazy:

Will xp black be of any use on this comp, or will I need to find something else, and load the anti-virus programme after a complete re-boot.

I can only get answers from the in-laws as he works away, and he doesnt have a clue about comps...lolol

Any advice will be appreciated..

When he goes too boot up the pc, he gets the loading page..ie...Microsoft millenium professional edition..then computer shuts down !!!

He got the pc ages ago from a friend who upgraded, and didnt have any restore disc's for the comp..

So I'm getting hold of tinyxp, which will work on his comp, going by what i've heard...

Just a quick update...

Gave them a copy of XP Black, and it seems to have solved the problem.. :hyper:

So thanks to all who offered their advice

Cheers :good: :good:

It has AVG on it, but still can't shift the virus

welll there's part of your problem right there....AVG is frankly pants, if you can't be bothered to pay then at least use Avast.

It has AVG on it, but still can't shift the virus

welll there's part of your problem right there....AVG is frankly pants, if you can't be bothered to pay then at least use Avast.

To be fare, I think personally that it's the best antivirus out there at a reasonable price. If it were pathetic, why would my local computer shop use it on all their computers and for virus removal on all their customers PC's and tell everyone enquiring about anti-virus software that they can't get anything better than AVG without forking out tripple figure's in cash? :good: I've been using it now, oooh, 4 years I recon on all my systems at home, all my relatives systems also if I go and fix something for them also :good: Now, my brother adverages about 5 virus infections a week and I've never had an issue removing them with AVG, and it apparently keeps blocking new one comming in during the week. :rolleyes: This said, it's been a while since I got anything on my system now... (hopes I have't just jynxed myself)

Haven't had a virus for 4-5 years now using avg and avast at various times only the free editions. Although for one year I did have a hardware firewall which probably helped....

why would my local computer shop use it on all their computers and for virus removal on all their customers PC's and tell everyone enquiring about anti-virus software that they can't get anything better than AVG without forking out tripple figure's in cash?

To be honest that's hardly a worthwhile recommendation. I've spent many an hour correcting what some of those little pc shops have done to peoples pc's so sorry but that doesn't really carry any weight.

And I think you're rather mistaken about antivirus pricing. I paid 40 quid if i remember rightly, for two years cover with Nod32 (one of the best)....and I think you'll have trouble finding any single license antivirus product thats cost is in triple figures. Most are about 20-30 quid for a one year license.

why would my local computer shop use it on all their computers and for virus removal on all their customers PC's and tell everyone enquiring about anti-virus software that they can't get anything better than AVG without forking out tripple figure's in cash?

To be honest that's hardly a worthwhile recommendation. I've spent many an hour correcting what some of those little pc shops have done to peoples pc's so sorry but that doesn't really carry any weight.

And I think you're rather mistaken about antivirus pricing. I paid 40 quid if i remember rightly, for two years cover with Nod32 (one of the best)....and I think you'll have trouble finding any single license antivirus product thats cost is in triple figures. Most are about 20-30 quid for a one year license.

Very true that most don't run to tripple figures, but the others they recomend are all propper big-business solutions...

To be fair, this shop is probibly one of the best for computer repairs locally. They do fix just about everything you could ask them to, and I've seen enough of the "behind the scenes" to get a good idea of what they do on my work experience placement with them. they do as the customer asks, as the customer asks. They only change anything on the system after asking the customer to do so and did not get a single complaint while I was with them...

All the best
Rabbut

AVG is a very ineffective program just look at these results, its awful how many it missed :sarcasm:

untitled1.jpg

untitled2.jpg

Source: http://forums.kustompcs.co.uk/showthread.p...ghlight=viruses

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back