Vinyl Backgrounds

smudge_

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hello guys,

I have been told that if I want a black background, I would be best to get the adhesive vinyl backgrounds sign makers use... this isnt an issue but I was just wondering if you folks tend to get a gloss or matte finish?   Would a shiny one look a bit silly?

Also a lot of them talk about being "permanent" after 24 hours,  has anyone ever had any difficulty remove these from a tank?

Thanks for your time :)

Personally I just pop black card behind the tank and don't fix it in any way.

I agree with Ros.  It is best to use what you term a matte finish.  The glossy backgrounds are shiny, and reflect into the aquarium, distracting from the fish and plants, etc.  I use black construction paper, taped at the top corners.  The background disappears and the tank looks deeper (front to back), and fish and plants and decor looks better.  Fish also appreciate this, psychologically, and no, I'm not kidding.

Byron.

The vinyl looks absolutely brilliant if applied well. I paint mine with matt black paint, but i have many friends that prefer the vinyl as it can be removed if they want to change colour

Byron said:
I agree with Ros.  It is best to use what you term a matte finish.  The glossy backgrounds are shiny, and reflect into the aquarium, distracting from the fish and plants, etc.  I use black construction paper, taped at the top corners.  The background disappears and the tank looks deeper (front to back), and fish and plants and decor looks better.  Fish also appreciate this, psychologically, and no, I'm not kidding.

Byron.

yea, I have always thought the very dark black backgrounds look great, especially on sand.   I've always just had "picture" ones in the past stuck on with a bit of tape and always found them a bit naff.

Alasse said:
The vinyl looks absolutely brilliant if applied well. I paint mine with matt black paint, but i have many friends that prefer the vinyl as it can be removed if they want to change colour

Painting it black seems a bit permanent so i'm going to go with the vinyl.

I did assume it would be the dull one and I managed to find it in a shop across the road from my office (that I knew existed) for just £4m for 1m, so hopefully this looks good
smile.png

thanks for the help folks
smile.png

10389089_1522302248022509_1948292382941175613_n.jpg

hmm  couldnt get all the air bubbles off  but got most of them.  it was starting to damage the material

smudge_ said:

Painting it black seems a bit permanent so i'm going to go with the vinyl.

I dont intend changing it as blacks the colour i do most of my backgrounds, so no issue for me. Its not permanent either, paint can be removed without too much hassle

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back