Vine Wood

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Primous

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I came across this while searching for something else or as some put it, tropical fish research tangent :lol:

I think this type of wood is pretty stunning and was wondering if anyone here has any experience with it?

oct2010240.jpg

oct2010240.jpg

Unfortunately nope I have never seen this type of wood before, all links to it so far on google are a few selective spots in the US

Just a heads up the heater will show and flash LF all day long and will drive you mad in that spot, i have 2 of them :p

is this the stuff???????

riffraff

Attachments

• wood.jpg
    wood.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 56
All I know so far is that it is called "vine wood."

Looks like grape vine to me. If so its sold in the states for reptiles and birds, but I have used it in the past in aquariums. The other option is it could be manzanita.

after a bit of searching i found its grapevine wood sold here in the uk My link
also loads on ebay just type in grapevine wood

riffraff

Unless I'm navigating the site/link you posted they don't have any pics of the wood, only an option to select a size? That wouldn't work for me at all as I need to 'see' what I'm buying as opposed to selecting a size and have someone else pick it out for me.

Secondly there isn't 'loads' on ebay. In fact there is just one seller who looks as though he's picked a branch of a tree in his backyard. Nothing close to the wood posted in the initial pic. Ebay aquarium/vivarium wood sellers for the most part do that. Unless they are trusted companies that actually source their wood a lot of these independent sellers simply crack branches that fit the description and make a profit on the unsuspecting.

Stuff like this: >>>is this actually bog wood<<<

That will never sink

well on the link theres a few types of grapevine wood and the bottom pic is described as

Premium Grapevine is sand basted and has a darker colouration. Normally the trunk is thick and has several branches which makes it excellent for arbicol reptiles.
Compared to the normal grapevine it is heavier and the branches are thicker.

also
Secondly there isn't 'loads' on ebay. In fact there is just one seller who looks as though he's picked a branch of a tree in his backyard

My link

thats the pages on ebay that came up for me .

also, hey i was only trying to help, next time i wont bother if people are gonna get shirty about it, no need to say, well thanks for looking mate but thats not what i`m after or anything when you can just reply with a moan.

good luck with the wood anyway

riffraff

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
also, hey i was only trying to help, next time i wont bother if people are gonna get shirty about it, no need to say, well thanks for looking mate but thats not what i`m after or anything when you can just reply with a moan.

Shirty?

My apologies if that's the way you read it I was more so trying to ensure that anyone reading it wouldn't fall prey to the tactics the unscrupulous use on ebay. There is a ton of fake wood that is sold to hobbyists via ebay. Grape vine wood is very distinctive in shape but the unsuspecting can and often times are fooled (myself included in 09)

Case in point. If you take a look at the link you posted earlier ""My link1"" and then take a look at the latest link you posted My link2 you'll see that while they are two different companies (one is a ebay seller the other a company)that they are selling the exact same piece of wood? :angry: And then underneath that only have a "size" for you to pick from which suggests that it is indeed fake.

Here is a piece of grape vine I found for sale in the us. The distinctive twists/curl/bend is unmistakable

1055opv.png

Here is a piece of grape vine taken from your ebay link

2cwq7b5.png

Notice the cut branches?

The shade/treatment of the wood is inconsequential. One is authentic grape vine the other has been cut from a tree in someones yard/garden. In my response I was trying to draw attention to this unscrupulous practice targeted at us hobbyists so that anyone from this community that might be looking for Vine wood as is not easily duped and is fully aware of the differences.

So my apologies if you took it any other way.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
fairy muff...
thought i`d found your wood, and tried to help, reading stuff is not the same as talking so,

thats not the wood (sarky) thaaaats not the wood (sighing) tch thats not the wood (sad)
thats not the wood you numpty...look (matey p..s take) etc etc is impossible to get across, hence i took offence which you didnt intend so for that i apologise.

now, go find the blummin wood...(jovial p..s take style)

riffraff

Most reactions

trending

Back