FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Java fern consists of a thick root-like rhizome. the leaves grow out of one side, and the hair-like roots out of the other. This rhizome must not be buried or it will rot. The thin roots are OK to be buried.
Java fern is usually grown attached to decor. Either superglue it into position, making sure the superglue is dry before it is put in the tank; or tie it on with thread.

Anubias rhizomes should also be above the substrate; it too is usually grown attached to decor. I pinch the yellow leaves off when they start to go floppy.
I have recently been considering getting java moss. Is it ok to just super glue a clump to a piece of driftwood?

Java fern consists of a thick root-like rhizome. the leaves grow out of one side, and the hair-like roots out of the other. This rhizome must not be buried or it will rot. The thin roots are OK to be buried.
Java fern is usually grown attached to decor. Either superglue it into position, making sure the superglue is dry before it is put in the tank; or tie it on with thread.

Anubias rhizomes should also be above the substrate; it too is usually grown attached to decor. I pinch the yellow leaves off when they start to go floppy.

Thank you! I purchased both the anubias and java fern from Petsmart in those top fin gel things so no decor. I'll pull the rizomes out of the substrate.

Pheonix I've seen other hobbyists do that, I have no idea if it's okay though.

Quick update, we noticed our betta's gills were turning white. I looked at a picture from when we first got her and she had a few white scales. At first I was thinking old age, but she's not that old. Turns out the water tested 0.25-0.5 for ammonia. Everything else was good. To be safe we took her out and put her into a hospital bucket with salt. I'll be doing water changes on both the tank and her hospital bucket every other day.

I'm hoping it's not an early sign of columnaris that she came with when we bought her!

It could also be ammonia burns but usually that is red but not always. Does he have any red lines running down towards his tail?

Nope. Other than the white scales she seems to be in good health. No clamping of the fins, no gasping for breath, eating regularly. I'm scratching my head with this one.

Quick Update,

I've kept up with the water changes for the most part, I've been doing 3 - 4 a week. Fortunately with a 1 gallon bucket that's not too hard or time consuming. Lilac's gills are still white. Neither her personality nor her appetite has changed at all. Her tank is actually starting to look much better as I was performing water changes on that as well about every other day.

I'm about ready to put her back in the aquarium. We'll see if her condition changes at all during these next few days.

Frankly I'm stumped by this little tank. I have hardly any issues with our systems at work but this one gives me trouble, oy vay. Oh well, it's fun learning! Haha

So, I'm having standard issues with algae, no big concern for me other than I think algae on the plants is causing them to melt? I usually expect some on the glass that can be easily cleaned off but the algae on the plants themselves is annoying me, I'm not sure what to do with it. I have a cardinal plant and it's not doing well, I think because of the algae - the longer stems are starting to melt and I'm noticing the leaves are losing there color and becoming clear. I'm assuming it's a perennial but I'm not 100% since I'm new to planted tanks.

My Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate are all testing at 0. My alkalinity is at 4. My pH, interestingly, is at about 8.2 which I'm baffled by given the alkalinity is only 4. Hmm. Yes, I tested twice and the test kit doesn't expire until 2024. Is it possibly because all we have is 1 betta in a 4.4 gallon and this is causing a higher level of oxygen than is "required" in a planted tank?

I also have a yellow spot on our anubias nana, which tells me there is some sort of nutrient deficiency. I haven't dosed the flourish supplement in awhile so perhaps that is why.

Any thoughts, suggestions?

I forgot to update, I ended up putting Lilac back in her tank a few days after my post on April 10th. She just seemed fine other than her scales which turned white.

Here's the video of how I set up the hospital tank awhile back.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back