Views on using a sump system for tropical

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

I use play sand. Many in the UK use Argos play sand if they want it buff coloured. It's (ahem) dirt cheap, a good texture and inert. Does require thorough rinsing though.

Really! That’s great to know too. 16sq feet floor space my tank will take a fair few bags to fill. I have gravel in my other tropical tank.

You never know Argos might have a sale on soon too to get rid of the summer stuff.

My tropical tank has a sump (well it does when I'm not changing the flooring in the room it's in, it's stripped down right now). Works well. Hides all of the kit nicely.

Problems I've found. The clean up team in tropical aren't as effective at moving things around as the marine version, and plant debris needs to be cleared away. Not a huge issue, but does mean that cleaning is a bit different. The battery powered gravel cleaners can be great for this. Also, marine fish are generally on the large side, and it's amazing what makes in into the sump on a tropical tank that looks like it shouldn't fit. They seem to enjoy the ride as they keep going back in, no matter what you put over the weir. So if you're planning an amazing shoal of small fish, watch how you cover the drains.

Thanks. Some helpful tips there. I’m not sure what clean up crew I’m going to use yet. Still a long way to go.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back