Video Video of new little CPD babies

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
I have donzens of shrimp in my CPD tank with 16 CPDs. I've never noticed them preying on the shrimp, even the babies. What are you feeding the CPDs. Maybe they are unusually hungry and don't like or eat the food they being given? Or maybe a parasite is keeping them hungry?
They seem to really love the food I give them as they gobble it up and chase it all over the tank…but they do have ick…if you look back in this thread you’ll see they were unwell when I got them and since I’ve noticed just three white spots on them. Unfortunately my heater is a preset one so I ordered an adjustable one so I can raise the temps to treat.
so maybe they are more hungry because they’re not well?
when I got them just a few weeks ago they were soo terribly skinny I didn’t think they’d survive. One did not.
They are filling out but like I said I do think they have ich

If they are eating it then I'm sure that's not the problem; looks like good food. It could also be that my tank is heavily planted so maybe the shrimplets manage to hide. It could also be if they are unwell. Give the Aquarium Co Op Quarantine trio meds a shot. That worked for me twice with sickly CPDs I bought from the store.

If they are eating it then I'm sure that's not the problem; looks like good food. It could also be that my tank is heavily planted so maybe the shrimplets manage to hide. It could also be if they are unwell. Give the Aquarium Co Op Quarantine trio meds a shot. That worked for me twice with sickly CPDs I bought from the store.
I do have a ton of wood and plants and roots in the tank for hiding places but oddly the when the shrimp get a little bigger they like to be out and about ...and the fish go for them but the shrimp dart away super fast. I'll post a video for size reference. I got a shot of one baby and the fish. Of course after I hit stop the fish went after the shrimp but the shrimp safely escaped.

see baby shrimplett

oh and there are a few adults eating kale.

And I'm not sure about treating the tank with meds. The fish are babies and so delicate and I have shrimp and shrimplettes.
I'll stick with heat first and see how it goes.

That looks like a beautiful tank. I love those orange shrimp. When I used the Quarantine Trio it didn't seem to harm the shrimp from what I could tell. It's designed to be ok for shrimp as well as fish.

That looks like a beautiful tank. I love those orange shrimp. When I used the Quarantine Trio it didn't seem to harm the shrimp from what I could tell. It's designed to be ok for shrimp as well as fish.
Oh…good to know!
and they’re actually cherry shrimp of varying shades of red. Some super red with red legs and then some that are paler and have white legs.

Interesting. A couple of your shrimp seem to have a nice orange tinge to them. When you get a big school of healthy CPDs it's super fun. They are beautiful and interesting to watch. I can sit in front of my CPD tank for a while and watch them. It's my favorite tank I have. I set up a separate 3 gallon breeding tank and put a male and a female in there overnight and then took them out. The next thing I knew I had a few dozen CPD fry that I got to watch develop in there which was super fun. When they grew up I added them to the adult tank. Way cheaper and healthier and more fun than buying sickly ones from the store.

Interesting. A couple of your shrimp seem to have a nice orange tinge to them. When you get a big school of healthy CPDs it's super fun. They are beautiful and interesting to watch. I can sit in front of my CPD tank for a while and watch them. It's my favorite tank I have. I set up a separate 3 gallon breeding tank and put a male and a female in there overnight and then took them out. The next thing I knew I had a few dozen CPD fry that I got to watch develop in there which was super fun. When they grew up I added them to the adult tank. Way cheaper and healthier and more fun than buying sickly ones from the store.
You’re correct a few of my shrimp definitely look orange?!
man I’d love to have a bunch of healthy CPD but my tank is only a 6 gallon…. And I’m just hoping these 4 survive.

In my experience CPDs do best and are the most fun to watch in larger groups of 10-20 in at least a 20G which is what I have. Of course 4 in a 6 gallon can work well too. Not to encourage MTS, but you could get a 20G and use the 6G as a breeding tank for them. For that you would only need one male and one female to survive and you could have as many as you want for free. Good luck!

In my experience CPDs do best and are the most fun to watch in larger groups of 10-20 in at least a 20G which is what I have. Of course 4 in a 6 gallon can work well too. Not to encourage MTS, but you could get a 20G and use the 6G as a breeding tank for them. For that you would only need one male and one female to survive and you could have as many as you want for free. Good luck!
I don’t have room for more tanks. This one sits perfectly on my kitchen island countertop. And I enjoy giving it all my attention. Well the attention that’s not going to my dog.

My wife reluctantly allowed me to buy one 5G aquarium because that was all she thought we had space for. Four aquariums and three dart frog vivariums later and now she loves them all too. Ha.

My wife reluctantly allowed me to buy one 5G aquarium because that was all she thought we had space for. Four aquariums and three dart frog vivariums later and now she loves them all too. Ha.
Haha. My dog would pack a bag and leave if anything took more attention from him.
He screams like a howler monkey when no one is tending to his dramatic needs. He’s a handful but we love him. 591D0564-7040-4B17-92FC-C20D65A0FDE9.jpeg

Heater arrived late day yesterday!
I slowly brought it up to 86 over the course of the night.
I'm terrified of cooking these tiny inhabitants!
Fingers crossed!!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back