Very worried

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

melanie

Reaction score
i woke up this morning to find a swordtail dead floating on the water she had a round red mark on the side of her body and so it would appear to be skin like white tissue hanging from her body. with observation i have found a a large white platy with similar symptoms the white marks however this time she has orange like splodges. i found her hiding and she doesnt look at all good. her scales are raised and i regret that she is pregnant due to the black triangle on her tail.

please help :( :(

Melanie,
I assume you've done all the usual things: checked your water, done a partial water change etc.?

Next check the tank environment for hazards - an unguarded heater, jagged rocks, rotten plant or dead snail giving off toxins etc.

If your water is good and the tank is safe, next look at the inhabitants. Have you got any potentially aggressive fish in there? Chinese Algae Eaters (aka "Sucking loaches"), Red-tailed black sharks, tiger barbs, cichlids etc.? Shrimps can be extremely aggressive, surprisingly.

If you have excluded poisoning, accident or violence, the next thing to look for is disease. "Pregnant" with sticking out scales sounds more like dropsy (although they can get like that when in advanced pregnancy, due to fluid retention). The white skin sounds like actual torn skin - you're not going to notice blood due to it being washed away, of course. The orange spots are most likely an ulcer of some kind, which is most likely caused by a bacterial infection. It is possible a bite or injury has got infected. It is also possible that the bite on your dead fish was as a result of cannibalism - to a fish, I'm afraid a dead buddy is just so much free protein (TMI, I know!) :(

Anyway, as a first step, I always treat the whole tank with Melafix (tea-tree based anti-bacterial, anti-viral, anti-fungal remedy). It won't damage your filter, won't harm the other fish but is amazingly powerful at treating diseases of all kinds. It's good to use as a first step, before you have good symptoms to make a better diagnosis.

If you don't have salt intolerant species in your tank (tetras, otos, snails etc.), a dose of aquarium tonic salts might also be helpful. I believe platties like a bit of salt anyway.

thanks for that anna i am going to test the water again tommorow and try some of that melafix needless to say my fish havent come accross anything as bad as this before.

cheers mate :)

Hi Mel sorry to here things arent so good just now.
Anna~ I'm inclined to think the fish have been attacked by another as of the "round red mark".

Mel how deep is the bite/cut? For the mo' go with the Melafix but it may be an idea to introduce something to fight any secondry infection. Cant remeber what your other fish are I'll have a look at your old posts.

the other inhabitants are other swords, platys,a serpea tetra,
red tailed shark,two placostomus,neon tetra.

i have noticed as i have put a couple more swords into the tank that the red tail shark is more aggresive.

however not all the time.

I believe your Red Tail needs to find a new home. I have my bets that he's to blame for this.

You have a Red tailed black shark in there? Well then, there's your culprit. They are extremely aggressive and territorial - I suspect your fish with the funny round mark on it was actually bitten to death.

I have a friend who keeps 8 RTB sharks in a large species aquarium with absolutely no aggression problems and I think we've concluded they just aren't good community fish. Find your RTB shark a nice new home and your fish should stop dying or being so intimidated, they don't eat.

yep. it's the RTBS that's the culprit. I'll stake Rose's reputation on it. lol

My reputation....didn't know I had one. :hehe: :laugh: Rose

You've got a few but as this is a family place I aint allowed to mention them here ;) lol.

Are we talking family reps or board reps here bro? :hehe:

take yer pick. there are also some past rep's lmao

Most reactions

Back