Very Sneaky Shrimp.

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Nosphaer

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hey, everyone.

On Sunday, I brought home a crypt. Ciliata, and some Java Moss. I also was adoring the LFS' small remnant of amano and cherry shrimp. They had been living in the LFS' tank for a bit over a week, now, and were showing mobility, and contentedness with their Java Moss.

I took home two of each the amano and red cherry shrimp, and I set their bag in the water, dripping in a few ml of tank water every 30 seconds. I added in the plants in first, then I placed them in the tank after an overall 10 minute acclimatization.

After a few seconds, the amanos and one of the cherries were skittering about, and I noticed the cherries head right to the driftwood. Today, two days later, the only shrimp visible at all is a large amano. I vacuumed the substrate just to pick up plant debris, but during the process, the one visible amano was still the sole shrimp that I could see. Ironically, he was both visible and fearless, hanging out in the dead open of the tank in the face of all my rasboras. I later lifted the driftwood, but none scurried about.

I understand amanos are sometimes fragile if introduced improperly, and it's sure that shrimp in general can be very good at hiding. Still, do you think that my rasboras, not even fully grown, could have attacked the shrimp? They're fed appropriately, but I suppose you can never be sure.

I checked the tank for hydra and other hitchhikers, but the only new organisms are flat-shelled snails and a few substrate-burrowing, tiny white worms.

Have got 2 amano shrimp and I can't find them half the time. If your fish aren't going for the brave shrimp I doubt they woulda gone for the others.

They're probably there somewhere.. just hiding amazingly :)

Have got 2 amano shrimp and I can't find them half the time. If your fish aren't going for the brave shrimp I doubt they woulda gone for the others.

They're probably there somewhere.. just hiding amazingly :)

Thank you! That's actually quite reassuring. I hope that will come to be obviously true. I have seen my cherries out and about, in their little driftwood hangout. The amanos scared me, because they're very large shrimp, for having disappeared so quickly, but I don't doubt that they enjoy the dark recesses underneath the driftwood.

i have 5 and very often i can be staring right at one and not see it untill it moves :rolleyes:

Most reactions

Back