Very Sick Fancy-tail Guppy

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Dart

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
My female guppy has this strange whitish covering all over her eyes. She's been really shy so i haven't been able to get a good look until now. It's like her eyes have crusted over and it's starting to go on her mouth and head. It kind of has a fluffy appearance, not solid like most pics i see of cataracts.

I looked at teh diseases pinned but i don't know if it's velvet, cataracts or fungus.

It's just on her head and mainly just her eyes, i don't think she can see the poor gal.

I added some salt to the tank, some nitrifiers and some ich cure to see if it is velvet, but any other suggestions would be helpful :) I also changed my filter in case it was a water quality issue.

I'm just scared it will spread to my other guppies i have in the tank, 4 females and 1 male ( yeha i know he's lucky guy)

What you've done so far is good, but if you haven't already done so, put her in a seperate hospital tank if possible 'cause it might be contagious. If you don't have one of those, take any decorations out that she could injure herself on if her vision is not so good.

You say it's 'fluffy'... it's probably not velvet then... usually that's more dusty and doesn't stick up off the scales.

I'd do a water change, probably 50%. In fact, one of my gups at the moment has fungus (I bought him like it yesterday :( - didn't realise he had it til I got him home) and I've put some Wardley's promethyasul in the tank.. already he's more active.

Hope this helps, and hope your little girl gets better. :)

Can you post water stats in ammonia,nitrite,nitrate,and ph, what size tank how many fish and which type, it sounds like columnaris and cloudy eye can be from poor water quality.
http://www.mushi.petfish.net/columnaris.html

Just an update, i don't think it's columnaris, that picture doesn't look like what she has. I think it was a bacterial infection (gram negative) or the protozoan but i really don't know.

I dont actually have any water stats, i don't have a kit nor the money to get it. :(

The dude at the petstore told me to add melafix and primafix to teh tank to see if that helps. And she seems to be a lot more active and not hiding currently.

And i did a 25% water change today incase it was the water parameters that were the problem

BTW it's a 5 gallon with 5 fancy tail guppies in it, 1 male, 2 female, 2 female juvenilles

Glad to hear she's recovering a bit. :) My little guy with fin rot seems beyond help. Panting on the bottom of the hospital tank. :-(

Anyway, make sure the male isn't harassing her while she's recovering. Good call on doing the water change, it can only help.

My male is actually pretty good, since there are 2 younger and i guess "more challenging females" he usually chases them and not the older gals.

well, you've got a good gender ratio, and doesn't sound overstocked.
yea, I feel your pain with the whole not-enough-money-for-my-fish thing.
I'm going out today to get filter inserts and such, but man, this hobby is expensive. I wish I could treat my babies better. spend more on them...

anyway, save up for those test kits! ;)
hope your fishy improves :/

Thanks for all the help, does anyone know what guppy do just before birth?

She's quite pregnant and seems more active, the white stuff hasn't cleared up on her head but her eyes look better. But she does this weird thing and hangs in the back of the tank with her tail really rigid and with a bend back. Is that a "labour" pose ? or is it the downhill :-(

Most reactions

Back