Very new to the hobby šŸ˜‚

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Wilson Dennis

Reaction score
Hello Iā€™m completely new to the hobby
Yesterday I added my first fish to the tank 3 black phantom tetras, since Iā€™ve added them they havenā€™t eaten any food and seem to not move from one corner, is this normal for new fish? or have I done something wrong? any type of advice would be great!
Thanks
W.D

So I set up the tank around a week ago with all the water treatments etc,
Temp is set to 25c/77f
The tank is a 20 Gallon

Thanks buddy!

These are a type of shoaling fish meaning that you should definitely have 6 or more for them not to be stressed and come out more. I would recommend adding live fast growing plants if the tank has not been properly cycled...

Welcome to the forum!

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

Can you post a picture of the fish and the aquarium?

If you don't have many plants in the tank, or the light is bright, the fish will feel stressed and hide in a corner. Try leaving the tank light off and just have the curtains open or the room light on. See if they come out more.

Hello Iā€™m completely new to the hobby
Yesterday I added my first fish to the tank 3 black phantom tetras, since Iā€™ve added them they havenā€™t eaten any food and seem to not move from one corner, is this normal for new fish? or have I done something wrong? any type of advice would be great!
Thanks
W.D
Firstly, welcome to the hobby! It is an exciting time. What sort of chemicals are you using? I see that everyone is asking you about cycling the tank... are you aware of what that means? Good luck! People here are very helpful and have a lot of answers.

I have those in one of my tanks. They are shy fish and as already pointed out, the more the merrier. Also, mine do tend to prefer to be amongst the plants at the back of the tank. Low light levels are good for them too.
The correct water parameters is an important factor so if you don't have a testing kit then I suggest you get one.
The expense is worth it as loss of fish is expensive as well.

I just hope you have lots of fast-growing live plants in this tank. Black phantoms are great fish and are very hardy.

I just hope you have lots of fast-growing live plants in this tank. Black phantoms are great fish and are very hardy.
You know, Every time I see the word "Hokitika" I step back in envy.
It has some of the best salmon and trout fishing in the southern hemisphere.
Take a look at my avatar. That's me beside the river Wear where I spend hours trying to find a trout that hasn't been eaten by herons, otters and a myriad of other birds. GAHHHHHHH
If I can't catch fish, I may as well keep them as a hobby.

You know, Every time I see the word "Hokitika" I step back in envy.
It has some of the best salmon and trout fishing in the southern hemisphere.
Take a look at my avatar. That's me beside the river Wear where I spend hours trying to find a trout that hasn't been eaten by herons, otters and a myriad of other birds. GAHHHHHHH
If I can't catch fish, I may as well keep them as a hobby.
Please come down to our paradise, you are welcome to stay and explore our wonderland.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back