The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

alex.andra

Reaction score
i recently got my first betta fish as well as 3 kuhli loaches. the workers at the aquarium shop i purchased them from explained that it was best to acclimate them at the same time to avoid my betta from becoming territorial.

when i was first observing my betta at the shop his top fin looked a bit tattered so i wondered if it was fin rot. i asked if it could possibly be fin rot but the workers confirmed that he may just be a crown tail (which i'm also kind of uncertain on). please look at the attached pictures and give me your advice :(

second, my betta is extremely calm. he has not chased the kuhlis once or even flared at them. BUT, i think he may scared(?) of them because he won't go to the side of the tank where they are. the kuhlis have been swimming around and he just does his best to avoid them. this is concerning to me because everytime he tries to go to the otherside of the tank he sees them move and he swims back to the other corner. i don't want him to not be able to explore the tank, please help!

Attachments

• IMG_20200808_174735_503.jpg
    IMG_20200808_174735_503.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_20200808_174735_504.jpg
    IMG_20200808_174735_504.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 89
The thing to remember, is that Bettas sold from stores tend to be treated the same way puppy mills work. He PROBABLY does not have fin rot. I would work some type of stress guard into your routine, cover the tank with a towel/blanket for a day or two, and keep any and all noises to a minimum. Poor dude is super stress right now, would be my opinion.

What size tank is it? He doesn't look like a crowntail. Looks more like a halfmoon, with the two toned butterfly coloring.
7 gallons, and thats what i was thinking! but the aquarium shop keepers i guess just wanted me to not be worried haha

The thing to remember, is that Bettas sold from stores tend to be treated the same way puppy mills work. He PROBABLY does not have fin rot. I would work some type of stress guard into your routine, cover the tank with a towel/blanket for a day or two, and keep any and all noises to a minimum. Poor dude is super stress right now, would be my opinion.
ok thank you so much!

7 gallons, and thats what i was thinking! but the aquarium shop keepers i guess just wanted me to not be worried haha

I agree, he's a halfmoon and not a crowntail. The pictures are a bit blurry, but I'm not seeing anything that immediately says fin rot.

That said, 7 gallons if just fine for your betta, but not for kuhli loaches. Far too small.

I agree, he's a halfmoon and not a crowntail. The pictures are a bit blurry, but I'm not seeing anything that immediately says fin rot.

That said, 7 gallons if just fine for your betta, but not for kuhli loaches. Far too small.
what is best for me to do for my kuhli loaches? the aquarium shop keepers said that it would be okay since theyre bottom dwellers but if its too small should i get another tank?

what is best for me to do for my kuhli loaches? the aquarium shop keepers said that it would be okay since theyre bottom dwellers but if its too small should i get another tank?
If you got another tank, it should be 20 gallons (long) or more. Or you can see if the store will take them back.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back