Very High Tank Temperature - Thoughts?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

SH28

Reaction score
Hi
I am new to this forum - I would be really grateful for any thoughts.

My 60litre, which has been out of action for years, is newly set up and cycling  - my issue is that the water temperature sits at between 30 deg cent and 32 all of the time - I live in Singapore and the tank is in a room without air con but that's well ventilated - but being in the tropics the room temp is always very high -high 20s even at night.

Obviously this is much higher than the temps I used to maintain my tanks at in the UK. Should I be concerned? Does anyone have similar experience of keeping fish in these sort of temps in the tropics? 

My initial thought was that this is a big problem and wont do - that I will need to invest in a chiller or move it to a room with aircon and keep it on all the time, or at the very least think carefully about only stocking with fish that do well in extremely high temps.  However, the more people I speak to here the less I'm concerned  - fish keeping is way more common than in the UK, no one uses heaters obviously and  at the local fish shops the tanks are all effectively outside, in shade but in open air that is always over 30 and often in the high 30s, so the water must be at least as hot as my tank, but all the various species in the show tanks seem to do great.  I asked and they dont do anything to keep them cool, in fact they arent even aware of the temperature in their tanks!

Thanks a lot in advance for any comments,
Cheers

30 to 32 tempature for water? And it's constant? How hot is your home...My interior of my home rarely gets above 25 C and we have some hot summers.

Hiya.  Yes, temp is pretty stable. The temperature in Singapore hovers around 30 degrees all year round – its a tropical rainforest climate, no seasons. Very often its up to 34 or slightly higher.  Room temperature in a room like this with a fan but no aircon is a few degrees cooler than outside, but that still means its often well into the high 20s and low 30s.

It's the oxygen level you should be concerned about the most. That's what mainly kills fish in higher temperatures, so make sure the tanks is extra aerated and has plenty of water surface movement.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back