Very aggressive pearl gourami

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Airecl

Reaction score
hi everyone

I got 2 pearl gourami a couple of weeks ago and they soon went into hiding in a couple of caves I have.
I was worried about them but since moving my bronze cories back into my main tank, the gourami have been coming out more, feeding and look healthy.
However one of them (the bigger one) keeps going for the smaller one, my neons and especially my cories. Itā€™s really stressing me out.

So far it hasnā€™t gone for my glass catfish but because theyā€™re so shy Iā€™m really worried itā€™ll scare them into dying.

Any advice? As far as I know theyā€™re both female pearls, and it seems to be getting worse! :(

Tank parameters are all ok - ammonia nitrite 0 nitrate 5-10ppm, soft water and pH ~6.5

I thought they were quite timid for gouramis (unlike my old dwarf gourami) but itā€™s behaving worse than he did!

Post a picture of the fish so we can confirm their sexes.

Have lots of floating plants in the tank to provide territories. Water Sprite (Ceratopteris thalictroides/ cornuta) is the best plant to use.

Sorry for the late reply Iā€™ve tried and failed to get a decent photo sadly!

The big one is definitely a male - his colouring has come out (orange along the front round his face and underneath him) and heā€™s been terrorising the others.

The other one is still quite a bit smaller, without as much colouration but I think itā€™s a younger one.

Iā€™ve decided to take the big one back to LFS before anyone gets too stressed out.

Can pearls live on their own? I donā€™t want my other to be lonely - it does try to hang out with the big one but gets chased off.

Thanks for any advice

Speak of the devil
I got very lucky!
Big one (aggressive one) has the more orange
Are they both males do you think?

Attachments

• 45447BA0-B49B-45EB-A0F2-0E176585EE49.jpeg
    45447BA0-B49B-45EB-A0F2-0E176585EE49.jpeg
    884.4 KB · Views: 308
  • 496939C7-8C23-4AFB-8C75-35C0A9F387CA.jpeg
    496939C7-8C23-4AFB-8C75-35C0A9F387CA.jpeg
    887.2 KB · Views: 291
From the photos I would suggest you have a male and a female.

While Pearl Gourami are relatively peaceful for gourami, individual fish can always act contrary to the norm; they are not very good at reading the scientific data and following course! ;)

You don't mention the tank size; if the female has plenty of space she may be able to avoid the male, or he may not pester her so much. Floating plants are essential as Colin mentioned. But again, individual fish can be more determined. It is your call as to whether you return one or both, as you are there to see their interaction. And the best way to do this with any fish is to sit in a chair in front of the tank without moving at all for an extended period of time; without movement from you the fish will forget your presence and behave more naturally. Your presence is a distraction, whether food or threat.

From the photos I would suggest you have a male and a female.

While Pearl Gourami are relatively peaceful for gourami, individual fish can always act contrary to the norm; they are not very good at reading the scientific data and following course! ;)

You don't mention the tank size; if the female has plenty of space she may be able to avoid the male, or he may not pester her so much. Floating plants are essential as Colin mentioned. But again, individual fish can be more determined. It is your call as to whether you return one or both, as you are there to see their interaction. And the best way to do this with any fish is to sit in a chair in front of the tank without moving at all for an extended period of time; without movement from you the fish will forget your presence and behave more naturally. Your presence is a distraction, whether food or threat.
I agree. Only think the female is a juvenile and probably not ready to mate what makes the male (that is in mating color) quite irritated. I've seen this earlier with young females. Besides the tanksize the watertemp can be a trigger for the male to start reacting quite agressive.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G960F met Tapatalk

Thanks all :)

I ended up returning him and they exchanged for a female and sheā€™s much nicer.
My little one has been chasing her a bit but at least the other fish arenā€™t being bullied anymore.

Thanks for your help! Much appreciated :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back