Very active corys

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Beccie

Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I have a 25 gallon tank and I have just added 3 new miguelito Cory's to my existing 5 peppered Cory's, they've been in there for 3 days now and they are so active! Is this normal and are they just settling down? Seem to chase their own reflection around the tank a lot but also like to swim around together (with my gourami Clifford who thinks he is a Cory, he swims around with the peppered ones too!) My peppered ones are pretty active when the lights go off an obviously feeding time but the new guys just seem to be out and about all the time, I like getting to see them but just wanted to make sure it wasn't anything to worry about? Also have 4 mollys 2 harlequin rasboras a guppy and previously mentioned Clifford (although as soon as i went closer to the tank for a pic they all hid behind a cave!)

Attachments

• 20210619_192343.jpg
    20210619_192343.jpg
    273.5 KB · Views: 87
Glass surfing is normal for new fish, especially Corys.

Do you have gravel as a substrate?

Hi, yeah I have small round gravel, I know it isn't the best for Cory's, I have only had the tank a year and got it all set up then decided I wanted Cory's before finding out how bad it could be. I think I've been lucky that I've had no issues with it, no damaged barbels, no damage to their stomachs etc but am really watching the new guys to be sure

Hi, yeah I have small round gravel, I know it isn't the best for Cory's, I have only had the tank a year and got it all set up then decided I wanted Cory's before finding out how bad it could be. I think I've been lucky that I've had no issues with it, no damaged barbels, no damage to their stomachs etc but am really watching the new guys to be sure
many people keep cories in smooth
sand is better for them in my opinion

I inherited the first Cory's from a tank with gravel in so I didnt think it would be too bad but am definitely looking to get it changed out to sand to be on the safe side

I inherited the first Cory's from a tank with gravel in so I didnt think it would be too bad but am definitely looking to get it changed out to sand to be on the safe side

That would be best. The issue of roughness is one issue (that seems OK here from your description), but there is a bacterial issue with larger-grain substrates and that could arise at any time. Third issue is the natural "expected" habit of filter feeding which the cories cannot possibly engage in unless they have sand (or mud, not a good idea!).

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back