venus flytrap care

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
I believe you can feed it raw hamburger or insects such as flys.
Not so sure about the hamburger. When I was a kid my Dad had a Venus Flytrap and fed it hamburger. It didn't last long. He was morbidly fascinated with carnivorous things. One time when I had loved all my fish to death and the tank was empty I came home from school to find that he bought me three small red bellied piranhas.

Not so sure about the hamburger. When I was a kid my Dad had a Venus Flytrap and fed it hamburger. It didn't last long. He was morbidly fascinated with carnivorous things. One time when I had loved all my fish to death and the tank was empty I came home from school to find that he bought me three small red bellied piranhas.
Afaik it doesn't necessarily "need" insects to live, but it will certainly thrive with them.

Awesome ! Nothing cooler than somebody's pad that's overrun with fish and plants and birds and lizards.
I've got many plants, 3 tanks, a rabbit, maybe starting in May a hamster. And just now I'm hunting down a 50 gal tank. I guess I'm on my way.

Venus Fly traps and other carnivorous plants struggle to grow outside in regions with low humidity, which is why they are treated as indoor plants in countries like New Zealand. We also don't have enough heat outside for them to do well over summer. They don't need to be fed anything, insects will find them without any problems.

I've got many plants, 3 tanks, a rabbit, maybe starting in May a hamster. And just now I'm hunting down a 50 gal tank. I guess I'm on my way.
Excellent ! I forgot the rest. Guinea Pigs, Hamsters, Gerbils, Rabbits, Ferrets, Sugar Gliders and Turtles, Frogs, Newts, Salamanders and Snakes.

Excellent ! I forgot the rest. Guinea Pigs, Hamsters, Gerbils, Rabbits, Ferrets, Sugar Gliders and Turtles, Frogs, Newts, Salamanders and Snakes.
You seem intent on making me look like the crazy neighbor at my building.

AND I AM getting that 50g tank next week, will build a stand for it myself, I anticipate moving my 29g fish to it sometime in the summer after it's all set, and then we'll see what I do next with that one.

Venus Fly traps and other carnivorous plants struggle to grow outside in regions with low humidity, which is why they are treated as indoor plants in countries like New Zealand. We also don't have enough heat outside for them to do well over summer. They don't need to be fed anything, insects will find them without any problems.
yeah, we are super dry
outside if i make a miniature greenhouse will it survive?
I was talking to someone at a farmers market who sells them and he said they have to be kept outside... He says he doesn't bring them in for winter because they are just not an indoor plant. You insulate their area with pine straw and they'll even grow in alaska. Seriously, people keep them there...

yeah, we are super dry
Hmmm... Yah dry places may be a problem... Do you have an area in your house that stays warm and gets a lot of sun?

yeah, we are super dry
I built this, it was great when it was inside but when I put it outside it struggled, I think it is too windy here and things just dry off.
20220420_111028.jpg

Im going to assume the section with the fish tank is more humid. If so I would put the fly trap there... They like humid environments. Or you could put it in the orchid area in a "semi-enclosed" area and mist it one to two times a day.
fish: more heat
orchid; more light

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back