Venturing Into The Whole World Series Five – Valley Of The Red

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Harryplanter

Reaction score
Hello aquascape lover,

I’m Harry Kwong (HarryPlanter) from Hong Kong of CAU.
This is my first 36” tank layout in 2006, hope you will like it.

a056809900.jpg

h056809111.jpg

d056809156.jpg

e056809369.jpg

g056809685.jpg

a056809865.jpg

Please feel free to comment.

Setup: 17 Dec 2005
Photo date: 14 April
Tank Size:(WxDxH):W90cm x D51cm x H46cm
CO2: CompressCO2, 1 bubble/sec non stop
Lighting: 150W HQI x 2
Filtration:1.) Tetra 120
2.) P20 Hydor Power Filter
Substrate: ADA Aqua Soil Amazonia

Flora:
1) Nesaea crassicaulis
2) Rotaia rotundifolia
3) Blyxa japonica
4) Cryptoryne petchii
5) Ludwigia plaustris
6) Glossostigma elatinoides
7) Hemianthus callitrichoides
8] Hemianthus micranthemoides
9) Echinodorus tenellus

Fauna:
1) Hyphessobrycon callistus
2) Dwarf Otocinclus
3) Flying Fox

Hey Harry Kwong, your tank is stunning! In the first picture, does the plant on the bottom just appear white or is it actually white? As i cant seem to find it anywhere in the full tank pictures.
I love the gap in the middle, i can see what inspired you to choose the name for this tank.. it fits it really well.
Could you post some specifications such as your lighting, co2, fertilisers etc?
Thanks.

Looks incredible Harry. The tank looks a bit larger than 36 inches, great use of every square inch Harry.

lol, that's some crazy photoshopping in image 1! :D

It's nice to see of someone telling "stuff it" to the people who comment on the "overpowering effect of too many red plants". Congrats on a brill tank. :)

Thanks,
Chris

Hi harry welcome, im not no much of a planter myself but am looking for sombody to buy my setup so i can change. We got some wonderful planters here.

I think "Red Valley" is a better name, but the name is all I am able to criticize because the rest is perfect.

That affect you've got on the surface of the water is madness! That is soooo cool! Oh and the plants look quite good too ;)

Sam

Thanks everyone for loving my tank.

Luke,
Actually the first photo is done by photoshop. I just want to make it look like graphic painting and emphasis on the world of RED. Don’t trust your eyes….ha ha

Chris
There should be no limit of creation in aquacaping. RED is a lucky color in China, I usually like to put some reddish color in my tank. But this time RED become the main focus in this layout.

Just curious as to how many people of the CAU team are on TFF? Seems like everyday there is a new CAU member posting their pictures torturing the rest of us trying to get our tanks look 1/10 as good.

Just curious as to how many people of the CAU team are on TFF? Seems like everyday there is a new CAU member posting their pictures torturing the rest of us trying to get our tanks look 1/10 as good.

:lol: agreed!

Excellent aquascape.

Neil-don't give up! You're using the same substrate, same ferts, same CO2.....What is the remaining thing on the equipment list that we often skimp on in the UK? Light. Go back and look at Jeff's tanks, look at Luis Navarro's tanks. A lot of those tanks done with thick, lush stem layouts have way more light than we are using - I've read that Luis has used up to 9 WPG in some of his set-ups. Harry is using two 150 watt MH's on a 90 cm tank-only recently are most folk in the UK moving away from T8's as the norm, and even less of us are using 4 plus T5 VHO tubes over our tanks (as we know CF's are not that common over here, and so it is only relatively recently where we've had access to more powerful light units at a reasonable price).

You just need to get a couple of MH's over your tank now!! B) Don't forget the sunglasses too!

Nick

AMS,

Check at our site and you will know how many will comming :lol:

Harlequin,

Actually different types of plants will need different lux of light, but more light is much better than weak light, and most of the plant will adapt to strong light execpt that they must change slowly. Like moss, they will have different form of look at different light. For all red plant need strong lighting otherwise they will become orangle or greenish.

I think this is the thing. When we see the kind of superb growth that you've attained in your aquascape, particularly when there are alot of stem plants in there, you need more light than a lot of planted tank folk use in the UK. Strong light is the thing that can make such a difference-I see you mention over at APC that you think it is light that brings out the red colouration and not the ferts. I agree- I've seen the same thing in R. rotundifolia when it gets near the light.

Nick

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back