Venting Electric Yellows?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

fry_forever!

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Hi guys. I have 6 electric yellows in my 57 gallon aquarium, 4 of which are juveniles that I got from an auction. The other two are full grown, and one is really aggressive towards the other one. I made the mistake of not getting the guy at the pet store to vent them for me (and I didn't vent them myself) so since they are almost impossible to catch in the net, I tried to get a picture of their underside. They are not the best quality...

1st one, dominant:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

2nd one:

If you need a bigger picture, you can always go to the site and click on the picture, it will zoom in a lot.

Thanks in advance for any help. :)
-f_f!

Hiya, It sure is hard to sex them, i am having the same issues which i posted about below you :)

Since i posted that i have tried venting two other Labs at the shop and i have to say it was easier in bright light and with bigger fish. I think when a female has had eggs before it becomes easy to tell. Well i am a total novice but for what it is worth, going on the pics you have there i would venture a guess at 3 females. (yep i think 3 females if you want a beginners thoughts :p)
The vents seem quite distinct. In my male the vent seemed almost as small as its anus, females can appear noticeably larger.

I wish i had 3 females! I didnt know what sex the 2 i had were, same problem as you, impossible to catch in a heavily rocky tank. I got one female and one male from the shop yesterday. Now im trying to work out the other two by their interactions but it is not easy heh.

Thank you! That's what I thought as well! There's actually only two larger ones, and 4 smaller ones, so I'm pretty sure I have 2 females on my hands! Which was exactly what I was aiming for when I bought them from the store. :) Once the 4 small ones grow up, I'll vent them, and I'm hoping for 3 more females and a male! (But I'm sure I won't end up that lucky. :rolleyes: )

Thanks for the input! :)
-f_f!

I would say pics 1 and 2 are of females but can't tell with pic 3 as vent is not visible = don't rely on number of egg spots or lack of them as I have male mbuna with only the one spot and females with 3

So then I have two females. There's only two I'm trying to vent. Weird thing is, one of them is holding eggs.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back