Velvet

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

PrairieSunflower

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
In my however many years its been now keeping fish, none have ever had velvet before.

But one seemed a bit off, still active, and I puzzled over it abs finally flashed a light and could see a hint of gold.

I've not treated this before and hope my local pet store has the right product (if not I am forced to order online).

Other than getting the right meds and following the instructions, is there anything else I need to know about treating it?

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Hmmm... the shop says I should use melafix for velvet but that doesn't sound right. They had nothing else that was right.

I might have to order online.

Do you think melafix will help? Pretty sure I heard its not right for bettas.

Velvet is caused by a dinoflagellate, classified by some as an alga because it carries Chlorophyll.
There are two main species, Oodinium limmneticum and Oodinium pillularis.
The free swimming stage of Velvet settles on the skin and gills of the fish,
adhering at first by its long flagellum, later putting out pseudopodia, (similar to fingers) that penetrate the skin and give it a very firm grip.
Velvet has a similar life cycle to White spot, feeding and becoming a cyst it produces upward of 200 young before dropping off.
The appearance is similar to gold or brown dust over the body and fins which at times may appear to move.
Symptoms are similar to White spot, glancing off rocks etc.
As Velvet is highly contagious it is important to eradicate this problem as soon as possible.
Treatment is aimed at the free swimming stage and there are good cures available from your local store.
Copper sulphate can be used at a concentration of 0.2 mg per litre or 0.2 PPM.
This should be repeated after 3 days to ensure eradication.

I got this from another site. Hope you find it helpful.

Thanks. I have purchased a med for whitespot and velvet now so hopefully that does the job. It seems contained on only my one fish. There is something odd about her though. On top of the velvet, she has a couple whitish patches but they don't look like fungus or an injury.

Update and further advice needed. I've been using meds to treat the velvet as well as blacking out the tank. My fish is clearly feeling a great deal better, but after 7 days the golden/rusty coating isn't gone yet. I changed the water this morning and redosed the meds. How long does it take to remove that coating?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back