Vegetables For Bristlenoses?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Robbo89

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I recently bought 2 Peppermint BN, as well as some Hikari Mini Algae Wafers. I put three wafers in after lights out and found them gone in the morning, but as I watched them that night the BN didn't leave their giant piece of driftwood. I suspect they eventually ate the wafers, or could they have dissolved? Hmmm.. anyway, what are the best veggies to give them? And how should I prepare them (e.q. blanch, cook, peal) Thanks in advance! :)

I used to feed mine the Tetra Wafers but I gave these a try:

http://www.new-era-aquaculture.com/public-aquariums-and-institutions/professional-tropical-range/plec-pellets

They love them - As soon as I drop one in, all my plecs come swimming, along with the rest of the tank inhabitants.
Very impressed with the new New Era food, very impressed indeed.
They're not dry like most algae wafers, they're soft and squidgy - good on the digestion!

Veggie wise I feed mine cucumber, I know it's mostly water but I cut a small hole, thread some cotton and attach to the ceramic weights I saved when I brought some bunched plants. They eat the centre and most of the time eat the skin too. Again, not just the plecs eat it.

I know of people feeding (depending where you're from), courgette (if you're a Brit) and zucchini (if you're American) which supposedly has better nutrients :p
Slices of potato too, but I wouldn't know how to go about feeding it.
Also spinach?
Be good if someone could come give us some recipes! :D

I feed mine sweet potatoes, romaine lettuce, and zucchini.  They really love the sweet potato. 

Wildbetta said:
I feed mine sweet potatoes, romaine lettuce, and zucchini.  They really love the sweet potato. 

Just slice and plop in?

i usualy feed zucchini blanched then stuck on a clip of some sort. i find it easier to just blanch a bunch at once then freeze them and thaw them during feeding.

I attach mine to suction cups or plant weights to help them sink since I wash the veg, cut, and then add to the tank.

I feed mine zucchini, but I hear you can also do blanched carrots.

Well tonight I actually did a little experiment. I blanched a small piece of; sweet potato, cos lettuce, pumpkin and broccoli stem, and dropped them in the tank (after freezing them for maybe 20 minutes just to ensure they were no longer hot). I guess we will see in the morning which my peppermints prefer! :) 

Pumpkin was a suggestion from the breeder I bought them off, but he also noted not to feed to often as they can get bloated from it. Zucchini  squash, carrots and peas are on tomorrow nights menu! Lucky little things, I wish I was fed such a variety! :p ;)

Try feeding green bell peppers. Just remove the seeds and anchor to the bottom with a spoon/fork. You won't be disappointed. Don't forget to remove after 6-8 hours.

We use a variety of veges in our cooking, so along with the little vege pellets, I'll also toss in a little bit of capsicum or zucchini that I'm cooking.  I haven't put it in with anything, just dropped it in but when grating I just pick up one little bit of grated zucchini.  He's just a baby yet, so really quite small.  He's happy with this.  Because I have a betta and guppies, I also have betta pellets and goldfish flakes in the water.  Not sure who eats what, but they all seem content enough.  The betta is a social little boy, comes up the top when my daughter talks to him, he's really happy.  I can't tell if the guppies are happy or not, but they are healthy and swim around and seem happy.  The bristlenose is also quite active and healthy and seems happy enough.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back