Value For Money - Tapwater Conditioners

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

kevin82

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I would like to try something out.

I am wondering what the best value for money tapwater conditioner is? I know my example is a cheap bottle but Iā€™m more interested in usage value as well as cost as itā€™s obvious bigger bottes represent better value.

If possible, can you post details of what you use and do a similar costing (include delivery costs for internet orders)

Interpet Bioactive Tapsafe 125ml - Ā£3.50 - Pets at home
Usage: 4ml per 45 litres (10 gallon)
125ml = 28p per 1ml (2.5 gallon)
Slime coat protector: Yes

Kevin

Zilch as i dont use it

your better off using a pond one.. get loads more for your money and as its concentrated you used less
smile.gif

Hmm if I remember right. My prime cost under a tenner for 200ml.

5ml treats 200 litres, so that would be, 8000 litres treated for a tenner

i use seachem prime , i paid Ā£12 .95 for a 500ml bottle which works out enough to do 100 50% water changes on my 100 gallon tank.

i use seachem prime , i paid Ā£12 .95 for a 500ml bottle which works out enough to do 100 50% water changes on my 100 gallon tank.

+1

~Ā£13 for 500ml of Seachem Prime, 5ml does 200L, so a bottle can do 20,000 litres....

I think it's the best priced dechlorinator about and is a good one too

Have read that Seachem produces a sulphur odour, is this just for a brief while?

And to the people who have said Ā£0, what do you use or do you leave buckets full of water for a few days?

Have read that Seachem produces a sulphur odour, is this just for a brief while?

And to the people who have said Ā£0, what do you use or do you leave buckets full of water for a few days?

I do 30% water changes weekly, no dechlorinator and no temperature matching, neither are necessary on a water change of this size.

edit, Truck

are you still doing 30% a week? Have you planted the tank up yet?

as for the de-chlor, i don't use any either, with 20% water change 2-3 weeks.

the sulphor odour is just what the prime smells like there is no smell whatsoever when it is in the tank. i dont agree with doing partial waterchanges without using any dechlorinator. i have done it in the past when i havent had any and the lfs is shut , and yes it has had no ill effects on my fish whatsoever, but at the end of the day even tho it will be greatly diluted , if you do it this way you are still introducing chlorine and chloramine into your water colum which is not in my opinion ideal.

There's no simple answer to this. Like some of those above, I use pond dechlorinator. For my tap water, which lacks ammonia, copper or chloramine, it's fine. But if you have ammonia, copper or chloramine in your tap water, you'll need some other type of water conditioner.

Letting water stand overnight with an air bubbler in it drives off chlorine, but won't have any effect on ammonia, copper or chloramine.

Cheers, Neale

Plus you never know when your water authority decides to up their dose. They tell the public when they do this.......sometimes after they have done it.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back