Vacuuming a tank withshimp in it.

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Retired Viking

Fish Connoisseur
Reaction score
I have a planted 30 gallon tank that I add some ghost shrimp to. I am new to having shrimp. I have been doing my weekly water changes but would like to vacuum the gravel. Do the shrimp burrow into the gravel? The only other occupants are a few guppies with their tiny fry and a snail.

I have a planted 30 gallon tank that I add some ghost shrimp to. I am new to having shrimp. I have been doing my weekly water changes but would like to vacuum the gravel. Do the shrimp burrow into the gravel? The only other occupants are a few guppies with their tiny fry and a snail.
I have kept lots of different types of shrimp and I have never seen them burrow, if you get near them with the vacuum they will most likely just zoom off in another direction. I vacuum my gravel with no issues.

I do vacuum into a bucket. Occasionally I do have to retrieve a shrimp or two out of the bucket.

I successfully vacuumed the shrimp tank, didn't find any shrimp in the bucket but it was interesting to see how the shrimp reacted. At one point I was slowly moving the vacuum and stopped when I noticed several shrimp watching the vacuum. They made a semi-circle around it starring at it. I had to wonder what they were thinking :)

I successfully vacuumed the shrimp tank, didn't find any shrimp in the bucket but it was interesting to see how the shrimp reacted. At one point I was slowly moving the vacuum and stopped when I noticed several shrimp watching the vacuum. They made a semi-circle around it starring at it. I had to wonder what they were thinking :)
Yo want to try some microdevario kubotai. They actively swim up the siphon tube.

They do not burrow. I have shrimp in my 10g betta tank, and I have never seen them burrow. They are surprisingly strong swimmers, so the chances of one getting sucked up are little to none if you be carful. Do you use the hole syphon? Or just the small tube? If you use just the small tube, good. If not, then I suggest to start using just the small part. It is a lot easier, trust me.

They do not burrow. I have shrimp in my 10g betta tank, and I have never seen them burrow. They are surprisingly strong swimmers, so the chances of one getting sucked up are little to none if you be carful. Do you use the hole syphon? Or just the small tube? If you use just the small tube, good. If not, then I suggest to start using just the small part. It is a lot easier, trust me.
I will give that a try, thanks.

Thanks for asking this question. Time to do my tank and was wondering the same!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back