Vacation Feeder

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

skiltrip

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I am going on vacation soon for about a week and a half, and i'm wondering, what kind of vacation feeders are available?

How long do they last?

How reliable are they?

Where to purchase, and how much $$$?

thanks!

- kip

I can answer two of your three questions, the third I can't answer because I don't live in the states.
So to your answer your first question: I am assuming that you want to know how long the food would last rater than how long the unit lasts! You can purchase them that contain food for 1 week or 2 weeks. It depends if you want a mechanical unit or an electronic unit. BTW you will need an access point in your aquarium lid for the unit to dispense the food. To answer your second question, they are reliable, but again the unit must not be obstructed in any way for the tumblers to turn. Most lfs will be able to supply them for you. A word of caution though, they arn't always that popular because they need the access point and most aquarists' are not willing to alter their tank cover just to accomadate this unit. Have you thought of vacation blocks? Fish can go without food for 4 or 5 days without harm and the vacation block would supplement the rest of the time. The other alternative would be to ask a neighbour to come in to feed them once a day. You could package the food up and mark it Monday, Tuesday etc. and your neighbour could just come in and empty the food into the tank. However you must stress that they can't tip in a weeks supply and not come in for a week. It doesn't work that way. hope I've helped.

Well BigAl's usu. has good prices on most items,might check there. I picked mine up at lfs.
A 14-day feeder ran $30, a Nutramatic digital cost me $50...there's prob. cheaper.
Some w/ separate compartments for each day, some not.
Can't vouch for performance, tho I think the digital would've been fine. I had decided not to actually attach it to the tank--came back to find it had tipped over the first day. :( So whatever you decide, I would test-run it maybe a week before.
Flake could be a problem, might stick w/ humidity/evaporation. I had set mine I think for one pleco-tab a day..I know the other fish go after 'em..and I figure a little less food is better than a little too much. ;)

On the vacation blocks, I'd heard ways back that they have very little nutrition, mostly chalk. But maybe for a week, it'd be worth it..or maybe they've improved them. :unsure:

Thanks for the helping hand reg. vacation blocks are composed mainly from calcium carbonate(chalk), but it is a neutral buffer in water. For a week or so it's better to get some sort of food rather than none at all. Good advice though regarding the testing of the food dispenser.

some of them apparently get all clogged up with condensation melting the food. but i think that i would porbably leave the hood open and put a net across the top to stop the fish escapeing.

I'm discussing the same topic with my hubby during dinner tonight, whether we can take long trips like for 3 weeks. The only major concern is the water. Will the fishies be ok if we leave them for 3 weeks without changing the water? (We can ask friends to feed our fishies)

I just got back from an 8 day trip, during which my guys didnt get any food, unless it was left over from the day i left. Got home, they were just fine, and the water has never been clearer!
I fed them twice a day(normally 1 time/day) for 2 days prior to leaving, just to fatten them up a bit :) Didnt lose any fish that I can see, possibly a baby guppy but I dont know how many i had before lol
Shawn

There is a 2 week automatic feeder at wal-mart for 20 bucks. I dont really know if its worthing, being that I dont have one. It looks like it would work pretty well, though. You just set the time and amount of food to dispence, and you dont have to worry about it.

To answer your question feline, your water change rule is not a hard and fast one. It is perfectly alright if you miss a couple of weeks. Depending on your stocking(and I don't mean the ones you wear :*) or maybe I do :lol: )levels, anyway you can leave the water unchanged for a month as long as your filtration is in top condition. Just before you go on your hols. (a few hours before) they might appreciate a water change and then leave and forget until you return.

Thanks for answering, Dragonslair! I'll just have to make sure to clear all my bills b4 the holidays then! :rolleyes:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back