Vaca feeding for new Betta

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Claire Demarest

Reaction score
Just got my new Betta! Meet Midas, named so because he is gold. Thought we'd be home for TDay, now gone for 5 total, so 3 where he won't be fed by me and early/late feedings on travel days.

He is in a 10G, fully planted tank w filter and heater. I *think* I cycled it properly, but if not, the plants and fish-to-gallon ratio should help, right? I feed him 1 pellet at a time so no wasted food. I trim plants as needed, and do 30% water changes 2x week. So far water parameters are fine. So, my questions:

1. What is the best way to feed him? A electric auto feeder? What if the electricity goes out, or it doesnt work right? Do those dissolving pellets that release food work better?

2. Should I do a larger water change before I go, like 50%? Add some Stability to be safe?

3. Anything I'm missing?

Thanks!
Claire

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191114-162318_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20191114-162318_Gallery.jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 68
He will be absolutely fine without food.
This is safer than leaving food blocks which can disintegrate and pollute the water or automatic feeders that may malfunction. For a fish, water pollution is a real threat to life whereas lack of food is not. They are cold blooded so only use food energy for moving, not for maintaining temperature. In the wild they are opportunistic feeders and may go some time without eating.
Yes do 50% water change and filter maintenance before you go. Check the heater is working OK.
I have left fish (including a betta) for two weeks and they were all fine.

My holidays tend to be 3 weeks and I do exactly as @Naughts suggests. Never lost a fish yet. Just feed as normal when you get back. There is no need to make up for lost food. Mammals use energy to keep them warm - fish don't so they won't come to any harm.

When I travel for work (usually 3-4 days) I specifically ask SWMBO NOT to feed the fish as giving them a bit extra (because they looked hungry and I felt sorry for them :rolleyes:) causes far more harm than not feeding them.

He will be absolutely fine without food.
This is safer than leaving food blocks which can disintegrate and pollute the water or automatic feeders that may malfunction. For a fish, water pollution is a real threat to life whereas lack of food is not. They are cold blooded so only use food energy for moving, not for maintaining temperature. In the wild they are opportunistic feeders and may go some time without eating.
Yes do 50% water change and filter maintenance before you go. Check the heater is working OK.
I have left fish (including a betta) for two weeks and they were all fine.
Thank you so much!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back