Uv steriliser

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Bazza2401

Reaction score
Hi everyone I have a 300L tank keeps going green as I think itā€™s to close to the window. I have tried doing weekly water changes to keep up with the algae but hasnā€™t seemed to work. I am deciding that Iā€™m gonna buy a if steriliser but where I live in stores they over have the pond UV sterilisers will these still work? Itā€™s a pond one version like this but I think more Wā€™s

Attachments

• 66A93A30-0B58-4232-93DA-A244445DF811.png
    66A93A30-0B58-4232-93DA-A244445DF811.png
    227.5 KB · Views: 78
Do you mean the water is green (floating unicellular) algae, or that you are getting algae on your glass / plants / ornaments? If the latter a UV steriliser won't help at all. They also only work if the water flowing through them is flowing at the correct rate, too slow or too fast and they don't work (in ponds).

Also how new is your tank? Green algae blooms can occur in newish tanks while the chemistry stabilises. But if you have the correct balance between nutrients, light and plants you should not have an algae problem.

Its really better to fix the problem. If that is too much light you could put black paper or card on the back and side(s) of the tank, add more floating plants or just reduce your lighting period (or intensity).

As you can see itā€™s floating algae. The tank has been set up since December. Been having problems ever since

Attachments

• 510099CB-D8D8-405B-896B-1C6503B92C0B.jpeg
    510099CB-D8D8-405B-896B-1C6503B92C0B.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 95
  • A4224C8B-C89F-4750-B0A0-B5063345DDFC.jpeg
    A4224C8B-C89F-4750-B0A0-B5063345DDFC.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 76
You don't have any live plants in the tank so single celled algae will grow instead. Either cut the lighting right back to a few hours in the evening, or add some live plants.

Water Sprite (Ceratopteris thalictroides/ cornuta) is a floating plant that grows rapidly and can be planted in the substrate too.

Iā€™ve reduced my lighting times, I donā€™t think plants will work as my tank has an Oscar and a turtle. Is there any other options?

Floating plants will work. Duckweed is a small faster growing plant and Water Sprite is a larger floating plant. Your Oscar won't damage floating plants and if the turtle eats some, that is fine.

Both of these creatures are high waste producers, and that is also a major factor contributing, along with the light.

You mention weekly water changes...how much water is changed? With the bioload in this tank, you need at minimum 70-75% water change once a week, and that may not solve the organics issue. Dig into the substrate at each W/C to remove as much of the organics as possible, and clean the filter regularly for the same reason.

In addition to the above you may want to consider whether you need the tank lights on at all. Without plants there is no need and the fish and turtle won't are as the ambient light will meet their needs.

If you do go the UV route consider one of the smaller aquarium types with a pump matched to the light. In the UK you can usually find these on Amazon or eBay for Ā£20-30. The unit you mention in post #1 is similar to the one I have in my 6000 litre outdoor pond with a dozen very messy (and very large) Koi and goldfish. It is way overkill for your aquarium.

Nice tank BTW - its exactly the same model as the one in my signature pic - which also happens to be next to a patio door :)

Most reactions

trending

Back