UV Steriliser... HELP!!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

BennyBlue88

Reaction score
Hi All,

Trust you are well and staying safe at this difficult time.

Just joined here and the owner of a 400ltr tropical tank running on a Fluval FX4 filter on full flow.

My question is, is that I am currently in the market for a UV steriliser but cannot for the life of me work out the most suitable for both tank and flow rate of my filter. The other trouble is, is that I am limited on space as was looking at the Eheim 800 but just could not physically fit it anywhere which is annoying as this was my desired choice.

Any help or suggestions would be great on what would suit the flow rate of the FX4 and as small as possible. Ideally would want it to be an external unit as do not want to start filling my tank with submersible options!

thank you

Ben - United Kingdom

Updated with a photo to show the limited room I have for this.

Attachments

• D9FC2E22-CA28-4E58-85B5-11250EBCBB6A.jpeg
    D9FC2E22-CA28-4E58-85B5-11250EBCBB6A.jpeg
    200 KB · Views: 54
Personally I dont recommended using UV sterilizer as it will cause
Skin cancer (in human) and cataract on both fishes and human.

UV sterilisers in tropical tanks are not needed. Won't do any harm so if you need something to spend your money on go for it - but there really is no benefit.

UV sterilisers in tropical tanks are not needed. Won't do any harm so if you need something to spend your money on go for it - but there really is no benefit.

we in lock down and amazon are still delivering so yes looking to spend money

now my stock is at where I want it my addiction has turned to getting the most crystal clear water possible I can get so want to add this to the tank along with just helping at keeping the bad stuff neutralised :)

have just started the FX4 internal upgrade so now this is next on the list.

many suggestions would be great.

Ultra Violet (U/V) sterilisers don't cause skin cancer or harm the fish because the U/V light is sealed in a plastic housing.

Ultra Violet globes in light units can cause skin cancer and cataracts in people near the tank for long periods of time, and in fish living in the tank.

-----------------
I'm with Seangee on this, U/V sterilisers aren't necessary and in my opinion, are a waste of money unless you have a bunch of tanks connected together (recirculating system) and get lots of new fish in all the time, like a pet shop does.

If you want clean water, have a good filter and clean it at least once a month, and do big regular water changes and gravel clean the substrate.

An aquarium UV sterilizer is sealed so that no UV light escapes the unit. If you have green water or bacterial bloom issues the UV light will help clear the water. They can also help eliminate or prevent ICK and other parasites. They can also slow the spread of algae in a tank but will not correct for the underlining cause of a algae issue. I have never purchased one so I cannot recomend any.

+3 - UV sterilizers are unnecessary. I suppose if you're fighting green water and photo period / nutrient reduction, increased water changes (volume/frequency) hasn't helped AND you have money to burn - well, okay, maybe!
BUT, I've been in the hobby a lifetime, have multiple tanks, crystal clear water - never used a UV sterilizer!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back