UV canister filters

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

mnccnm

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Thinking of adding secondary canister filters to my 125, and as yet to be set up 85. I'm intrigued with the UV canister filters. Anyone have any experience with the various brands, specifically the UV operation, longevity etc.?

UV filters are really necessary in a tank. It’s been debated on time and time again, but no one has really come down to a “yes” or “no” answer.

—-

The UV light supposedly kills pests and disease pathogens that may be in your water.

This sounds great, but don’t expect it to kill all of them. There is still a huge chance that the pests will survive, rendering the UV filter useless.

—-

It’s totally up to you, on wether you want to get the UV filter or not.

Me personally? No, I wouldn’t get it - seems like a waste of money to me.

Don't waste your time or money with UV units on aquariums. They only kill things that pass through the UV light and most of the disease organisms remain in the aquarium water.

In addition to that, they only kill disease organisms that are exposed to the light for a certain period of time. In the filter/ UV combo units, the water passes through the UV steriliser too quickly and very few things get exposed to enough UV light to kill them.

The best way to use a UV steriliser is to have a separate model that is huge and oversized for the tank. Then put a slow flow of water through the unit and have all the tank water go through it into a sump, which then returns the clean water to the tank at the opposite end to the UV intake.

Globes last 6-18 months before they burn out and need replacing.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back